Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How loud do you like it?

So for Americans, what does everybody think about BBC America???

I've found it pretty decent, myself. Opinions?????

I like the show where the restaurant guy goes around and fixes failing restaurants. Reality TV at it's best!!!!

JBL 4645
    This topic may not be total lost. Ever heard the word, “turn down that bloody TV” that’s a quote I remember reading in electricians magazine or was it a Hi-Fi magazine around 18, 19 years ago. I think I still have it around somewhere.

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you.
    My normal listening level is only~70dB. Volume set at -35db
    Normal cranked dB is only~80. Volume set at -25dB
    Vne (Volume/never exceed) setting -20dB produces only ~85dB.
    This is all A weighted. C weighted Vne is ~95dB. It's just a 70 wpc HK525. The subs add a lot to the C weighted.
    Used radio rock music for testing and waited for louder songs to get general idea of max listening level.
    Really expected to get higher readings. Tomorrow when I test the 2 channel rig I'm sure to get higher readings.

What does all the BBC talk and strange pictures have to do with the original question: How loud do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by JBobL View Post
    I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you.
    My normal listening level is only~70dB. Volume set at -35db
    Normal cranked dB is only~80. Volume set at -25dB
    Vne (Volume/never exceed) setting -20dB produces only ~85dB.
    I'm with you there.

I just did some more tests and would actually normally listen at 85dBA (average Leq). At 90dBA, I feel like I'm really cranking it and want to leave the room. The subjective difference in volume levels in a "domestic" setting versus a "live music" setting are quite extreme.

I would happily listen to live music at levels 10dB higher than at home without feeling it its excessive provided the FOH system is running clean. I think the horn loading used in live music system has alot to do with it...you are tricked into thinking the system isn't running as load as it really is. Modern PA system have massive power reserves and are very effecient so will generally be running cleaner at much higher levels than a normal non-horn loaded domestic system (even taking into account the roonm size differential).

I would not be surprised if people running horn loaded systems at home typically run higher SPL's than those that don't (like my 250Ti's).

dBC levels are another story of course (add 10dB to all my levels quoted above).

If anyone is posting more levels, use the dBA, dBC or dB* designations so we can compare apples with apples. (* = unweighted "linear").

The BBC is excellent IMO, the license fee funds far more than TV programming-5 tv channels(1HD),7 national psb radio stations, local psb stations, some cutting edge R&D, best news web site in the world and best of all carries no advertising-which bringing it back on topic..if running the tv sound through the HT set-up the sound levels on commercials can be on average up to 6dB louder than programming, heavily compressed too so when they kick in it can be very unpleasant.

Yo, Right on, Andy

I can't think of a single word to disagree with in Andy's post.
    I would not be surprised if people running horn loaded systems at home ion average run higher SPL's than those that don't (like my 250Ti's).
    I do listen at 4-6 dBA less than that, but I will soon have my 4345's back in service and will probably find more sound coming from the horns as well. My Full Range system is so startlingly clear, not much volume is needed to create the needed experience. Of course one full watt would blow me out of the room. These figures are from the listening position, correct?

Off topic, I would do whatever it took to keep BBC news going. The only source I can trust, plus I can web in BBC Scotland, news of my ancestral homeland.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I run at a about 80-90 C weighted using my SPL meter. It depends, I generally will settle at whatever volume sounds "right" for what I am listening too. I have always listened at this volume and resisted the temptation when I changed over to more efficient speakers to jack things up. Always a little paranoid about messing my hearing up. But with live DVD's or CD's the volume does go up as it seems appropriate to do so.

Rob

The SPL in my bedroom is even less. I had to use C weighted because A weighted would not register on the RS.
    75dBC sounds loud here.
    Usually set the sleep timer on the AVR for 60 and put on DSOTM. Next morning i can't remember hearing the 3rd song ha ha. I have tinnitus bad. Without some kind of background noise like window AC, radio/tv I go nuts but that just affects high frequency hearing right. Can't hear test tone above 15K.

Quote Originally Posted by JBobL View Post
    The SPL in my bedroom is even less. I had to use C weighted because A weighted would not register on the RS.
    75dBC sounds loud here.
    The use of "C" weighted measurements is very likely more "accurate" in many cases however the point is one of comparison. The standard is "A" weighted measurements.

A quiet bedroom is typically far below 50dB in level so it wouldn't be surprising that a very low level would seem appropriate. Here is a quote from the 1974 JBL Catalog... they suggested that a fairly low SPL was "comfortable", but I suppose it depends on what is going on. If the music is the reason for being in the room, something louder may seem appropriate, however if you have friends over and are having a cocktail party, you would likely want a lower level.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    What does all the BBC talk and strange pictures have to do with the original question: How loud do you like it?

Sorry Rolf I was just thinking out loud.

By the way I found that article in that magazine, the magazine is called Studio Sound March 1990 volume 32 no. 3.

The topic is on page 53 called: Noise or Music? It’s [excuse my I’m eat at the present time] covers 6 pages with a few diagram illustrations.

Article was written by (Ken Dibble) so if you can Google this up and find a white paper under pdf good luck because I’m afraid it amounts to needle in haystack.

JBL 4645
    Quote from Studio Sound March 1990 volume 32 no. 3 page 56.

The Whittle & Robinson report provide the startling line for what is probably the most extensive study of the subject yet undertaken, in which the sound levels in 49 discotheques were monitored and the habits of 4,166 attendees studied. The survey was carried out as a course project at Leeds Polytechnic’s School of Constructional Studies with John Bickerdike as project leader. Again the conclusions reached 9 are based on DRC after Burns & Robinson 3 and Robinson & Shipton 4:

JBL 4645
    I like the advertisement of NEUTRIK Swiss connections now that is hot!

JBL 4645
    Here’s photo of the article I’m reading though. Would you believe I found this magazine in an office that me and my dad where converting into school. There it was lying on the floor, I picked up flipped though and my dad says “do you what that otherwise throw in the dustbin”.

Can’t believe I’ve been humping this magazine around for 18 years now?

JBL 4645
    Quote from Studio Sound March 1990 volume 32 no. 3 page 54.

The subjective element

How many times has a fraught parent yelled at a teenager son or daughter “turn that x#$?&!* television down- it’s too loud-I can’t hear myself think!” often during a music based programme. Yet this is clearly an impossibility. The television set’s loudspeaker has sensitivity ratting of about 88db and amplifier rarted little over 2 watts. Thus the maximum possible SPL at 1 metre from the loudspeaker is over 90dbA. So it is not the fact that the sound is too loud that is the cause of the parental distress, it is the high level of distortion inherent in most domestic audio/video equipment coupled with a subjective dislike of the program content that will have offended mum’s auditory senses.

Thread Information