Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest II

Everest II

Anyone know where they may be heard while in Tokyo?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    Anyone know where they may be heard while in Tokyo?
    When Don was there he mentioned Dynamic Audio in the Akihabara district. They have two floors of JBL in a seven floor store.
    There are also other JBL retailers in the area.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12157

Thanks, Dave.

Saw some at the Sound House.

Floor manager was out so did not hear them. Might have an opportunity to go back.

Heard them today, when I get back I'll post pics, etc....

so whats the story

Back from the Land of JBL....

Thanks to Dave and Don for the crucial information.

I was in Tokyo for the first time about a year and a half ago. That's how, serendipitously, I got back into horn speakers. Walked into the Akihabara district and found some cool stores and what I thought were old JBLs. But they were brand new. After getting home I started looking into JBL/Altec/Klipsch, bought my 9844s, etc..

On this trip I was not able to find any of those vendors. Some were tiny shops -- they may be gone. I'm told it's very difficult for anybody, even natives, to find things in that city, so I don't feel too bad about it.

But the Everests were located and I got to hear them. Much thanks to Shigenobu Atugi of Dynamic Audio’s Sound House for his generosity and kind demonstration.

If you make the pilgrimage, I think the attached map will help. I had a translator with me, I suggest you do too if you do not speak Japanese.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

what about the sound

its a granted it is good

but did you personaly liked it

Valentin

pd nice pictures

I had no intention of conducting a review or providing listening impressions of any speakers, as this was not the main purpose of my trip. As such I didn’t take notes. For me it was a fun leg of the journey and worthwhile.

Anyway, Valentin, and for those interested:

Emergent pattern after listening to some different recordings:

They are too bright. I placed my hand in front of the UHF driver and was surprised as to how much HF comes from it. I was under the impression that it was crossed ultra-high, as in UHF and that they were essentially 2.5 ways with augmentation. But apparently not. There’s a lot of energy from there. Either that or I still have bat ears.

They have an upper bass hump which is muddying. If the lows have depth, I could not tell, probably for that reason. They may be anemic in VLF, I don’t know.

I noticed some things in the mids, positive and negative, but I can’t specify from memory so I’ll leave that.

Phantom image was fairly stable.

Yes they are exciting in terms of industrial design.

Thanks for the non review. I always find this sort of thing interesting.
    They are too bright. I placed my hand in front of the UHF driver and was surprised as to how much HF comes from it. I was under the impression that it was crossed ultra-high, as in UHF and that they were essentially 2.5 ways with augmentation. But apparently not. There’s a lot of energy from there. Either that or I still have bat ears.
    Too bright? Perhaps, but essentially all speakers roll off the top a bit by design. As speakers get more linear up top we tend to find them bright. I do not think the E2 was meant to have a pronounced top end.

In one of the demos I heard, I asked Greg to block the tweeter completely by placing a towel in front of it and to my ears, which are admittedly deep into middle age , I could hear no difference with or without the tweeters being blocked while listening to standard CDs. (For those not familiar with CD Red Book specifications, CDs have no content above 22.05 KHz and they typically have a low pass filter tuned below that frequency.)

I wonder if the dealer you visited might not be pulling the HT bit... as many home theater demos have the rears and surrounds cranked so that you can "really hear them", maybe they had the little bat slayer cranked? I wonder.

They have an upper bass hump which is muddying. If the lows have depth, I could not tell, probably for that reason. They may be anemic in VLF, I don’t know.
    Could be room and set up dependent. I thought the bass was deep and articulate in the demo I heard conducted by Greg Timbers. Merlin has made similar observations about the bass as yours from his auditions in Japan. If I recall correctly he had similar impressions from listening to them at two different stores in Tokyo.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Could be room and set up dependent. I thought the bass was deep and articulate in the demo I heard conducted by Greg Timbers. Merlin has made similar observations about the bass as yours from his auditions in Japan. If I recall correctly he had similar impressions from listening to them at two different stores in Tokyo.

Widget
    Certainly. But speakers must be heard where they can be heard. So that was my opportunity. If there was a demo room in NY, and set up properly, I'd be there. (Anybody in NY want to invite me into their living room?)

About the tweeter, what I heard was pronounced. I'm sticking with bright. If there is a way to user-adjust that without mods, I have no idea; but I did not expect to see L-pads or taps, so I assumed not. Is there a way to crank the UHF driver alone or move its high pass?

My impression of the Japanese dealers (insofar as my experience goes) is that they are meticulous and kind of revelatory about what flows forth from JBL, so I'm not sure they would try the "HT trick," but who knows.

Interesting about Merlin's impression being similar.

If I go back next year I'll seek another venue.

And Mr Widget, I don't have bat ears either. Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Could be room and set up dependent.
    It should be proven very carefully.

I can't remember a "upper bass hump which is muddying" when I listened to the Everest in Hälsingborg. It is a thing of memory. But I was a bit fixed on clean bass because of the horn system I had at hand at that time. The listening room for that demonstration was a conference room, without furniture except the chairs in the middle of the room.

At that demonstration they played the Array 1400 too. My memory tells me that the biggest differences were due to the music. The Array was choosen for elder and newer music. The Everest was demonstrated with better recordings throughout.
    Unfortunately the music for demonstration of the Everest was completely unknown to me.

Who will make a careful listening test?

But speakers must be heard where they can be heard.
    Unfortunately that is the case.

About the tweeter, what I heard was pronounced. I'm sticking with bright. If there is a way to user-adjust that without mods, I have no idea; but I did not expect to see L-pads or taps, so I assumed not. Is there a way to crank the UHF driver alone or move its high pass?
    There is some user adjustment available behind the front panel. I don't know if there is a tweeter adjustment.

That said, the tweeter is meant to come it at 20KHz. Assuming it is and it is set crazy bright, I would assume it would only be audible with vinyl and possibly SACDs and even then it would only be upper harmonics on some transients. There should be no sound coming from them when playing a CD as those frequencies are missing. I am sure you heard what you are describing, but it certainly sounds strange to me.

Widget

Yeah, what's the deal with that?

I went in thinking that tweeter was for UHF, emphasizing ultra. Did not expect to hear a difference when covering it.
    (Although we must assume it's there for a reason.)

Now I wonder if there are different versions of the filter or whether or not it has been tweaked in situ.

So who's going to give me another demo?

There must be some in NY.

I'll bring a box of wine, or carton of sake, as appropriate.

Unfortunatly the DD66000 has some "not to good" spots regarding the sound. (As far as I have heard them) I am planning to get a pair home to make my "judgement".

I guess this will not matter to the ones believing they are the best.

Rolf, are you really getting a pair to audition?

Thread Information