Thread: Can you smash things with a Sub1500

Can you smash things with a Sub1500

If you had a Sub1500 and a pair of 4344's could you break household items / structures? Not my ambition but just a concern.

Anyone willing to admit to damage caused by their systems and hope wives don't read this forum:-)

My main concern is that I have a 400 gallon fish tank with a 6' x 2' 4" x 0.75" front glass. It is about 12ft away from my speakers and at 90 degrees to them; so not in 'direct line of fire' so to speak.

I know a fluorescent tube in my brothers kitchen light smashed one day during a session but i think it vibrated out of the bayonet mounts and broke when it hit the floor. He also dislodged a front glass window pane in an old rental unit he was in but the window putty was very old/cracked/partly missing.

jarrod
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Talking Broken?

I have broken a vase from a shelf upstairs.

But the shelf is not tied down to the wall mounts and it had moved out from the wall as well.
    What I don't know is if it was from music or not.
    I went downstairs to listen to music (I have to walk right next to the shelf to go down or up) and when I came up... there it was on the floor. I was listening to it very loud, this was during the testing of the 2 sub1500's. It was probably around the 120db range. I did not have the spl meter out but it was about as loud as my single 2242 which I could get about 121-122 from.

I can tell you that the fish might not like that much noise as water is a great conductor. But I do not think a .75" thick fish tank will break.
    Shane

When I was younger and a bit more stupid I would play my system at levels approaching 130dB. It not only cleared the glasses off of a shelf in my parent's home bar, but it also drove the drywall nails out of the walls of my bed room. The woofers were a pair of K130s and a pair of K140 kits in 2220 frames with paper dust caps. The four woofers were powered with about 250 watts per woofer. It was damned loud but no where near the deep bass level the Sub 1500s can produce and besides records and tapes of those days didn't have ultra deep bass on them anyway.

Back to your situation, I would be concerned for the fish. You should contact an aquarium and make an inquiry.

Widget

Obsolete

Re: Can you smash things with a Sub1500

Yes, I dropped one on the cat and it is smashed. Not even a peep out of it. Didn't even wiggle. Just smashed flat as a pancake.

Obsolete

Cleaner for cat spooge on a 1500 SUB

Does anyone have any cleaning recommendations to get cat spooge off a JBL 1500 SUB driver?

Alex Lancaster

Wink

HNO3

Re: Re: Can you smash things with a Sub1500

Originally posted by Giskard
    Yes, I dropped one on the cat and it is smashed. Not even a peep out of it. Didn't even wiggle. Just smashed flat as a pancake.
    But, how's the cat...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete

Re: Re: Re: Can you smash things with a Sub1500

Originally posted by boputnam
    But, how's the cat...?
    The implication, Bo, would be that the cat now looks like a pancake. Don't worry though! It didn't go to waste. We rushed it down the street to the Chinese restaurant.

Thumbs up

That reminds me when i was a kid growing up, for kicks i would walk into the local chinese restarant and shout at the person at the front counter and ask
    "where do you want the pigeons in the back"
    You should of seen the look on the customers faces!!!

leif
    Off topic, but I remembered now a story when you mention cat:

A man not far from here had a JBL Paragon. He also had a nice cat. One day the cat had walked into the horn of the Paragon, and probably fallen asleep. The man did not see the cat, and put on his favorite record at a rather good level: The cat was FLYING out of the horn, and never ever went back in

Thread Information