Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TAD Compression Drivers - Opinions on TD-4001 vs. 4003?

you could calculate this, but then it would be out of band also (very low in level).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    On my nominally 16 ohm TAD TD-4003 drivers I use an inexpensive Bennic 47uF polypropylene cap. That works out to ~200Hz and my actual crossover is fourth order at 800Hz. When I remove the cap or place it in the circuit I can hear no change.

Widget
    HI Widget,

l would be playing around with XO frequencsy in the 500-800hz range so this sounds like it would work for me too. The 4001 is mounted on a TH4001 clone so l guess the impedance is comparable to your system. Dumb question time, does the cap simply go on the +ve terminal on the 4001?

Cheers,
    mondie

Wire it in series, not parallel. + or - doesn't matter... unless of course you are using audiophile cable that is polarity sensitive.

That last bit was a joke.

Widget

Nice workup on the speaker system!

Mondie,

Those look great!

I am one of those in the minority that will accept a HF response of only 16khz to 18khz and be happy with the results. I find the problem of integrating a tweeter to my horn speakers to be annoying. If I can tell where a tweeter is by listening, it's not worth the trouble.

Cheers, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thanks Widget, l will avoid those polarity sensitive cables

Ron, what freq were you bringing in the tweeter? l would like to bring the ET703's in at around 8khz based on gut feel and others experiences on where it sounds best.

Cheers,
    mondie

I would have a look at Widget's implementation of the tweeter.

Nice set up Mondie.

Too early for me to make a call on it for adding tweeters or super tweeters but with the 4001's on Emilar horns the extension and resolving power exceeds my expectations.

I see this as a case by case thing and its as much about taste as it is about balance.

In an old Red book with Altec plans I read about a formula used to determine the balance of a system at the overall frequency extremes. The intent being that the lower your system goes the higher it should go to project the right spectral balance (and visa versa).

There is perhaps some truth in this as standard FM radio sounds reasonably balanced. But add an octave of lower bass and the highs are found wanting. The same with the highs where if you decide to add tweeters to extend the top end there needs to be an equal extension of the lows.

I would suggest this is why a basic two way can work so well and beyond that if you plan to augment the lows you end up also augmenting the highs...a bit like a see saw there needs to be equalibrium to balance the frequency extreme.

With the advent of refined technologies like Be and careful engineering of woofers the performance of a two way is much improved overall. Beyond that attempts to improve what the laws of physics say you can't do with a 2 way leads complications such as the integration of the lows and the highs that are not so simple.

In some respects I suspect this is why the vintage 4 ways have survived all these years where users value the precision and extension of the 4 way over the coherance of a two way.

Ian

Using tweeters....

Mondie,

I usually bring the the horn tweeters at 20khz w/6db oct crossover. That is usually a 1 ufd (oiL) cap @ 8 ohms so all it adds it air up top.

The reason I prefer a 2-way with limited frequency bandwidth capabilities is that they image better than any 3-way or 4-way I have worked with.

My favorite 2-way system usually has a JBL 2226 in BR crossed over to a 1.4" compression driver on round wooden Edgar horns. The sweet spot is very tight in my small living room, but you can hear things in the recordings that are intensely revealing.

I also tend to prefer single-ended-triode tube amps of less han 10 WPC.

So as far as the majority of JBL speaker fans I fall in the minority due to my designs and amp power ratings.

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mondie View Post
    Thanks Widget, l will avoid those polarity sensitive cables

Ron, what freq were you bringing in the tweeter? l would like to bring the ET703's in at around 8khz based on gut feel and others experiences on where it sounds best.

Cheers,
    mondie
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    My favorite 2-way system usually has a JBL 2226 in BR crossed over to a 1.4" compression driver on round wooden Edgar horns. The sweet spot is very tight in my small living room, but you can hear things in the recordings that are intensely revealing.

I also tend to prefer single-ended-triode tube amps of less han 10 WPC.
    That all sounds good to me as well... those salad bowls do image well, but damn it is a small sweat spot. Don't move an inch... oops it's gone.

Widget

How true it is!

But since I listen alone most of the time and have a very small living room, I tend to prefer that setup compared to horns of wider dispersion.

I like to show folks while they are listening in the sweet spot what happens when you walk in front of one of the horns. It is quite dramatic!

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That all sounds good to me as well... those salad bowls do image well, but damn it is a small sweat spot. Don't move an inch... oops it's gone.

Widget
    JBL Pro for home use!

Guys,

The time has come to sell my TAD's. l recently purchased a pair of active ADAM Tensor Alpha's as l help represent ADAM in Australia, l was planning on keeping my TAD's but alas, after living with the Alphas for a week there seems little point in keeping them.

These are sensational speakers, they really opened my eyes up to what is possible in home audio. They need a sizeable room, at least 30m2 to give their best. TAD have recently increased the RRP on these drivers dramatically and l feel its only a matter of time before Pioneer cease TAD driver manufacture all together (hope l am wrong)

At this stage l am looking to sell the system complete with crossovers but if there is no interest l may consider selling them off in parts. l imported the cabinets from the US and l am willing to assist in arranging freight anywhere. l will put a FS posting together with full details when l have more time. In the meantime if you have any interest don't hesitate to drop me a PM

Cheers,
    mondie

Thread Information