Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAD Compression Drivers - Opinions on TD-4001 vs. 4003?

Have a look at Widget's implementation:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...20&postcount=8

He didn't even try to verticaly align the tweeter with the horn.
    You know that you will have comb filtering in the overlaped range anyway, so it does not make much difference where you put that tweeter as long as it is near the ear level.

I dont use Tads as yet but I have heard them on several ocassions.

I may look at Tad in the near future.

Why dont you try it as it is and see how it goes?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post

You know that you will have comb filtering in the overlaped range anyway, so it does not make much difference where you put that tweeter as long as it is near the ear level.
    Nice speakers l see what you mean, the 703 is simply routed into the baffle just as l would need to do. If comb filtering effects are a given, can much be done to control these or is that the trade off for the extension the 703 brings?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I dont use Tads as yet but I have heard them on several ocassions.

I may look at Tad in the near future.

Why dont you try it as it is and see how it goes?

Ian
    Ian, the second pic is the boxes as l am buying them, sans drivers. Straight to TAD for me mate

Cheers,
    Mondie

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post

I'll be the first to admit this driver layout is far from textbook perfect and absolutely causes measurable issues. That said, through extensive listening tests this set of compromises was chosen over the others. This isn't the place to have a lengthy exploration and discussion about time and phase delay, comb filtering etc., but I will say that the addition of the tweeter with all of it's obvious drawbacks, was perceived as an improvement by myself and the group of select listeners who were there for the comparisons.

Widget

Thanks Widget.

l will have little choice but to mount a 703 as you have done in your designs, too bad l have to drill holes in the baffle to try it out

Back to the original purpose of the thread before l took it off topic - does anybody else have first hand experience of 4001 vs. 4003, and which would you choose and why?

Cheers,
    Mondie

Quote Originally Posted by Mondie View Post
    Hi all,

l have just joined this forum today after lurking for a few weeks. l hate to think how much of my life has been spent reading through the wealth of information in old threads

l am putting together a TAD MTM system using some professionally made cabinets and would like some opinions on TAD compression drivers. Originally l was intending using TAD 4001's and wood horn clones as these are what l have first hand experience with. However l have stumbled onto some 4003 drivers and Resin horn clones, these will cost me about 40% more to buy including shipping.
    Hello Mondie,

Nice to see you on the forum. Careful you don't catch the JBl bug here. I cant say definetly not having heard the 4003, but the 4001 does sound good and is well engineered.

See you on the other forum,

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

G'day JA,

Yeah mate l get around

l have decided on the 4001 with ET-703, now just patiently waiting for the drivers to wing their way to Australia. l am hoping to have some TAD goodness up and running in 3-4 weeks.

Cheers,
    Mondie

. . . . l will have little choice but to mount a 703 as you have done in your designs, too bad l have to drill holes in the baffle to try it out . . . .
    Yeah--I would park it on top of the upper horn lip first to see if that would work well enough. I'd hate to hack those cabinets.

David

Hi David,

Yes l will have to do some careful experimenting before l get the hole saw out. l may even be able to make some stout brackets ourt of metal and mount them behind from behind onto the front baffle as a temporary solution.

Cheres,
    Simon

Thanks Widget.

l will have little choice but to mount a 703 as you have done in your designs, too bad l have to drill holes in the baffle to try it out

Back to the original purpose of the thread before l took it off topic - does anybody else have first hand experience of 4001 vs. 4003, and which would you choose and why?

Cheers,
    Mondie
    ET-703 is an OUTSTANDING tweeter.

4001 is a 2in exit driver, Alnico magnet, outstanding and 2in is better at low midrange, while 4003 is 1.5in exit, Neodymium magnet, and newer diaphragm design and better HF response according to TAD.

I like 2in drivers on suitable horn, especially since you will be using a tweeter for VHF.

But, it also depends on your taste as well. Have you heard the 4003? They do as TAD claims and are lightweight. But, sonically, 4001 and 4003 sound different. Listening is the only way to know for sure.
    scottyj

HI guys,

Its been a while since l started this thread and l thought it was appropriate to post up a brief summary of the build process and final configuration. Thanks for all the advice, the end result with these speakers has been worth it

After toying with the idea of going active, l chickened out and went with TAD TN-1 Clones. These were originally designed by TAD for their Studio Monitors running 2 x 1601a & 4001. l figured l could always upgrade the components for better SQ and learn from the crossovers what filtering TAD themselves employed for future active exploits. Great in theory until l opened up the boxes and found all the capacitors epoxyed into those black boxes.
    TN-1 crossover frequency: 650Hz. Maximum input power: 600W. Impedance: 4 ohms. Level control: Built in: fixed at -6dB

External: continuously variable. Rated loss: LF:0.6dB. Attenuation response: LF: -36dB/oct. HF: -12dB/oct.

The drivers all made it safely and well before the cabinets. The 4001's are monsters, the pics still don't convey the size of them, they feel like a very substantial piece of engineering.

l was fortunate enough to find a used pair of C.A.R Maple TN-4001 clones from NZ, that saved some pain on shipping costs

Mate who helped me tackle this bit of DIY having a laugh

And finally, the cabinets made their way safely from the US, well packaged and undamaged

The cabinets were originally cnofigured for 4003 horns which are dimensionally slightly different, enough to need to get the chisel out

A job well done

All done and setup in the office for a first listen

Time to take them home, dunno what the neighbours must have thought

Yep, they're big

The finished product. At the moment we are renting and the TAD's are in a small room, only 4 x 5m, but still they sound great. not as open as they did in the larger office space, but better than you would ever expect in such a small space.

Cheers,
    Mondie

Thank you Mondie for the pics and report about this excellent project.

l figured l could always upgrade the components for better SQ and learn from the crossovers what filtering TAD themselves employed for future active exploits. Great in theory until l opened up the boxes and found all the capacitors epoxyed into those black boxes.

Ask a local person skilled in crossover design to inspect your crossovers. It seems that all components are wired to the outside of the epoxy so they are measurable with a LCR Meter.

l was fortunate enough to find a used pair of C.A.R Maple TN-4001 clones from NZ, that saved some pain on shipping costs

Do you have a contact adress of this company?

Thread Information