Thread: What isn't going up in price these days?

What isn't going up in price these days?

You'd think the down economy would put a chill on the recently rising JBL prices but it seems the opposite is occurring——even on the formerly cheap stuff. Cases in point:

L7s go at $499 opening bid, pickup only, in NC just today: http://ebayitem.com/320281371996
    Most have languished around $200 or gotten no bids. I paid $200 for mine two months ago and the most recent Ebay sale I saw (prior to this one) was $250

L20Ts bring over $200 plus shipping, two days ago: http://ebayitem.com/220262806222
    $125 used to be the going rate and I paid $75 for mine on CL (thanks Heather!)

L5s brought $199 less than a week ago in NC (same buyer as the L7s today) with five bids and yet a pair today in MD already has sixteen bids and is over $325 with less than two hours left: http://ebayitem.com/320279828126

Even the lowly 4412A's in the vinyl-clad cabinets have brought as much as $649, though I question the legitimacy of the buyer since he has only three feedback ratings and two of them are from the same seller as this pair of 4412As from previous auctions. This one looks fishy to me: http://ebayitem.com/110265773162

These 4410s bringing $455 amazed me, but I know some of you really like the 10" monitors. Still, that's a chunk of change: http://ebaytime.com/300243089242

I like a good train wreck, so I watch stuff I already own, recently bought, or wish to add to my collection. We've all seen the rise in prices on the big stuff and the perennial hot items like L300s, but I'd have thought all the doom-saying would have affected pricing on the little stuff and even some series we've discussed here as undervalued. The opposite seems to be true this week.

Just my thoughts. Good and bad in there. But since I never sell anything . . .

hosee
    Not to mention that horn lens have skyrocketed the last few months

Houses

Rob

The value of my labor, apparently.
    Out.

You're right, though, that things are not making much sense. I've gotten some terrific deals in the last month, but I've noticed the vintage products people keep talking about seem to go higher and higher.

Fortunately, I'm not interested in paying through the nose for any of them, so it's easy to just slough it off and ignore it. Now, if some of the things I'm interested in start to accelerate in price, then I might feel the pain. That's why I usually refrain from talking about anything here or on other sites when I'm thinking of making a move.

Occasionally I do PM someone to make sure we're not bidding each other up.
    Out.

Asian buying is increasing as well. Used to be mostly Japan scooping up the vintage stuff, now it seems the rest of asia is catching the fever.

While not necessarily a large volume of sales the asian market seems to crave the best examples of the old stuff and have considerable influence on high end of the vintage market.

Also may of the models you list are later than the prized vintage gear and somewhat under-appreciated until recent years.
    They are the JBLs that I would expect to making the biggest gains in desirablility (and price) right now.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Asian buying is increasing as well. Used to be mostly Japan scooping up the vintage stuff, now it seems the rest of asia is catching the fever.

While not necessarily a large volume of sales the asian market seems to crave the best examples of the old stuff and have considerable influence on high end of the vintage market.

Also may of the models you list are later than the prized vintage gear and somewhat under-appreciated until recent years.
    They are the JBLs that I would expect to making the biggest gains in desirablility (and price) right now.
    Have a friend who checks in and carries 4311,4312 types to Saigon and gets about 1K-USD PER speaker (not pair) ...tween his wife and him they carry 6 (pay extra for 2) and it covers the trip and expenses.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information