Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - What Speakers Will Work For My Room?

Nice to see an old Highland customer out there. I worked there for 12 years. The store was a nice blend of good brands, prices and service.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    I see a mint pair of L-65's sold for $1.5K on ebay this week. Wonder how they would do in 35x35 room, and what kind of power would they need?
    L65s are still a small cone-driver midrange. They'll work too hard, and the LF is only a 12". My 030 (15" D130) have often filled bigger rooms or the entire outdoor world at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains in my youth with nothing but a 75w Crown D150. The big full-range woofer was the key and will be for you, too. I think my L112 and 4412As fill a room as well as an L65, and the L150As will kick their butts, but I'm sure someone will tell me how wonderful the 077 is, when that's not what fills the room anyway. Go big three-way monitor with compression-driver mids, or 4-ways if you can afford it, or just keep the volume down!

Regis
    Split set-up?

gsb001, I run my setup in a wide open area that's similiar to yours. The significant other's living room is quite large with a huge vaulted ceiling and behind that is the dining room. I actually have the speakers set up in the center of this space with the dining room behind the speakers and the living room ahead of them. That places me only about 12 to 15 feet facing them, as I sit on the couch (which is against the wall).

Are you really going to listen to your speakers from 35 feet away? Check out the picture below. Forgive the bluriness, but you get the idea. The couch is two feet behind the cherrywood coffee table in the right corner of the picture. I have gotten great sound out of my L-110's here, as well as my 4315's and of course, the L-300's and when I crank any of them up, they're clearly heard through the whole house (and outside if really crank them!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks BMWCCA.
    In my heart - I want JBL's and know they are top notch.

I keep going to 4430 and 4435 as good choices for the money. Not sure the 4430's would cut it- but I bet 4435's would be out of this world. Big bucks and even harder to find sellers.

What others should I be looking at?
    SB

Regis - great picture. tks for including.

Those L65's look real nice.
    SB

Large Rooms

The physics here are simple....you want loud, go big!

I have made several postings on these forums, about my personal experiences with large JBL speakers, always thinking that big was better, and I learned the hard way. Big is loud, but big is not always better. I will also say that some of the larger JBL models are more designed to be placed on or near a wall, and I have never been a fan of the "on the wall sound", so that is a limiting factor of what I am about to recomend.

I had a pair of L-300's that I could not get to sound "at home" in a room 18X20 with a 9 foot ceiling. The room was too small, for these monsters, and I could not get the speakers out into the room far enough to 'Bloom". I powered those with a sony v-fet amp, and still had no success.

At a different address I had a pair of L-250's that sounded loud and impressive in a 14X16 with 7 foot celieng but they did not sound "comfortable" in a room that small. I had a demo cd from Reference Recording's that had an SR-71 fly over, and when I would play that for guests, my neighbors had to think that there ws a supersonic plane flying over the Neighborhood. That was powered with a Bryston 4b.

As for the L-65's as I still own a pair, They sound wonderful at all volumes. In my 14X16X7 room, and they sounded super sweet, and really comfortable. They rendered a small club sound stage very well, and presented a large orchestra with the proper size. The only down side is that these are shorter speakers, and tend to not project the height information as well as a taller speaker.

Your situation is a bit different, you have a significantly larger space, and a higher ceiling, so I would recomend that you look for a pair of L-250's. That will project the upper registers into the 9 foot space really well. If they do not sound good in a room that large, then you may want to consider some different electronics.

Have fun!

4430's w/ a sub, or the 4435's. you wont regret it. i have a set of l-65's, i rather listen to the 4430's with a pair of B-380 subs. $ for $, the 4430's are hard to beat. my opinion only.

enjoy

If those truely are your requirements, I'd go with JBL 4670D's from the Cinema line.

Hi Everyone.

I have a 40’ x 40’ room with 9’ ceiling, I'm trying to fill with wonderful JBL sound. I love playing my 2 channel music really loud. And I live in the Chicago area.
    I installed a set in our cabin; about the size of your room and much higher ceilings. With a 70 watt tube amp, they are amazing.

Very smooth, musical, and they have the efficiency and headroom to blow your walls out!

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4670d.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak48 View Post
    I installed a set in our cabin
    And if the cabin is a-rockin' can we all come a-knockin'?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And if the cabin is a-rockin' can we all come a-knockin'?
    You bring the Stevie Ray Vaughn and I'll supply the refreshments!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak48 View Post
    You bring the Stevie Ray Vaughn and I'll supply the refreshments!!
    Umm, dead, or alive? Texas Flood okay? I might even slip some early Mato Nanji in on you, too.

Regis
    Thanks BMWCCA.
    In my heart - I want JBL's and know they are top notch.

I keep going to 4430 and 4435 as good choices for the money. Not sure the 4430's would cut it- but I bet 4435's would be out of this world. Big bucks and even harder to find sellers.

What others should I be looking at?
    SB

Not sure if the 4430's would cut it? Gawd, I have to ask the question, have you ever heard a large cab JBL with a single 15? Because if you have, you'd know. The maximum SPL for a 4430 is 119 db! That is unbelievably loud! My L-300's (they're not L-65's btw), with a single 15" each put out far more sound than I can sustain and yes, I love my music loud. The neighbor has heard the music 75-100 feet from the front of the house at the mailbox across the street and that's with all the doors and window's closed.

So if you want SPL, you might go with the 4435 (but that's almost overkill, but they work for a home environment), or as suggested, the B-380 Subs with a pair of 4430's. Or get a pair of L-300's for gawdsakes. If these aren't enough, you can always try the Vertec series.

Update Added Second Pair of Speakers

I picked up a pair of 4412A's last week. Placed them in oposent corners of where my existing 4311’s are. I’m running each set with one Carver M500-t per pair. Rated at 250 watts per side.

My room is about 35' x 35'. And the single pair was not filling the room. With the second set – four total, I’m very happy with the sound. Really filled out the large space nicely. Now when I move from side to side in the room, it’s nicely balanced with equal amounts in all area’s.

While I’m waiting to upgrade to larger 15” floors with horn mid – I’m quite satisfied with this compromised arrangement.

The two models seem to mix well together. If I had to pick – I think the 4311’s have better mid range. They are also my first vintage JBL buy – so emotionally I’m partial to them to begin with.

Thanks again for all of your inputs and options. Very educational and fun to hear from you all.
    SB

I picked up a pair of 4412A's last week. Placed them in oposent corners of where my existing 4311’s are. ... The two models seem to mix well together.
    Hmm...

Seems to me the woofs in the two different cabinets are working against each other, at least if I'm interpreting the N4412 correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hmm... [/font][/color]

Seems to me the woofs in the two different cabinets are working against each other, at least if I'm interpreting the N4412 correctly...
    Ya but if it sounds good why mess with it!!!

Thread Information