Thread: Best smaller horn for 2445J's?

Best smaller horn for 2445J's?

Good Evening, Friends,

Soon, I'll be picking up a pair of JBL 2445J's, from a very nice forum Brother, and I've been thinking about how best to use them. Another fellow forum member suggested using them with a pair of 2311 horns, coupled with the proper lenses, in my 4333 project. I rather like that idea, actually, and thought that I might replace my 2420's with this combination. The other thought I had was to find a nice pair of 2380, or 2380A's, and use them with those, as part of the "satellite" system that may end up going with the 4333 cabinets. I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions that you might wish to offer, as to the very best way to use these 2445J drivers. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who must go and take his JBL meds, now.....)

P.S. What are your preferences between the 2380 and the 2380A, and why? Thanks, again!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Look into the 2382A I will PM the link to you. In the home I liked the 2382A
    better then the 2380

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Look into the 2382A I will PM the link to you. In the home I liked the 2382A
    better then the 2380
    Hello, jbl4ever,

Many thanks for your suggestion. As mentioned in my PM to you, I'll most certainly check out the 2382A's when I'm into that part of the project! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

2445 on smith horns

I was going to use my JBL 2445's on 2397 smith horns. This combination should also be good. But I have not yet found a way to build the cross over for the 2445, so I am quite excited to see what you will end up with. I would like to make it a 2 way, with 2445 drivers and 2225 woofers, perhaps adding som nice Fostex ST-50 horn-bullit supertweeters that I already have in the basement somewhere.
    Best regards
    Vernb

e2 mini look a like

another thought I had was using the 2445 on 2397 smithhorns, but with two 12" driver underneath, looking just a little like Everest 2.

I have 123-a that would play deep bass in a 3 square foot sealed enclosure and a 2202 playing upper bass in a dog box inside the main cab.

Would look cool and give me better low freq, but I haven't decided yet.
    Still, I will be watching your project
    Vernb

Hey, Vern,

We've been out camping in the forest, not far from where we live, for the last few days, and I just got back to see your note! Many thanks for your suggestion! I like the idea, and will check out the Smith horns to learn more about them. One problem might be size. I would like to keep the upper part of this system on the small side, for better dispersion and less cabinet diffraction problems. Plus, I'll already have two fairly large bottom boxes in the 4333's, and even if I just run them as they were originally designed (with the larger compression drivers), they are fairly big boxes. If I end up making them into bass boxes, with the 2235H's, they I'll have two "satellite" boxes on top of them, each with a 2123H, the 2445J, and a 2405 slot tweeter. That adds to the "bulk" of the system, but as these boxes don't need to be really large, maybe they will give a slimmer look to it. However, I still have that 2242HPL 18" transducer that I bought months ago, and I'm still giving thought to sticking it in a 10 cubic foot box, and using it for the very lowest octave, when needed, to augment the 4333 boxes. So, this all adds bulk to the system! I certainly want to keep Sweet Bride happy in all this. And, though she's never given me grief about having big boxes in the house before (the largest was a pair of 8 cubic footers), I don't want to give her reason not to like this upcoming system!

In any case, I'll check out the Smith horns, and see what they offer. Thanks, again, Vern! Your idea for your own system sounds outstanding, figuretively, and literally! Please let me know how it turns out, if you should decide to go for it! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (still grubby from camping, unshaven, and unshowered! But, MAN, was that a fun few days of enjoying God's handiwork in the wilderness!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    ...Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (still grubby from camping, unshaven, and unshowered! But, MAN, was that a fun few days of enjoying God's handiwork in the wilderness!!)
    It may have been done better, ain't it? Besides of that, would You consider a non JBL solution? From my measurements and hearing too the 2445 could cover the reange from 500Hz upwards easyly. The advice to avoid the 500Hz..1000Hz regime with the 2445 seems to ground on the diffculties with the 238x horns only.

Good Luck any ways!

Quote Originally Posted by mini View Post
    It may have been done better, ain't it? Besides of that, would You consider a non JBL solution? From my measurements and hearing too the 2445 could cover the reange from 500Hz upwards easyly. The advice to avoid the 500Hz..1000Hz regime with the 2445 seems to ground on the diffculties with the 238x horns only.

Good Luck any ways!
    Good Evening, Mini,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I have been leaning, pretty much, towards a pair of 2311 horns, as they will fit my 4333 cabinets perfectly, and will help to obviate some of the delay problems the longer horns have in such cabinets. I'm keeping an eye on a pair of them on FleaBay, but don't know if I'll bid, or not. I'm patient, and will just use my longer horns until the shorter ones appear at a good price. Which horn would you suggest, Mini, for best overall sound with the 2445J? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who is already looking forward to going camping again, possibly next week! YEAH!! )

Hi Doc,

I would suggest to analyze the needs for low frequency extension. This on par with a closer look to the spatial coverage, the dispersion pattern as to say.
    The 2445 is a very competent driver. I think most of its potential is wasted with a way to short horn as the 2311 is. And You would need an acoustic lens with it as to cover even the width of Your listening place with some kind of uniform sound. The technology of the 2311/2308 combo namely 45°-sharp-cut-off-axial-symmetric-expo-flare plus slanted-plate-lens looks rather outdated. It has its merits just in being very obviously very outdated. You may like it, and I would too, when it was my second system. Prone to sentimentality as we all are in some respect.

I've been told not to "EV" here. So the 238x-series seems be just right to cover the range from 800Hz up to 10k - never mind the "resonances" above that. It would let through more of the music than the old fashioned stuff mentioned above. With home use it would be appreciable to have as wide uniform dispersion as possible within limits (JBL 4430).

Alas, with that prerequisites the Smith-horns would be second choice too. The low extension looks o/k, but the hights if any are very directional. To point it out Your 2445 and 2311/2308 or Smith horn fall apart by ages.

I hope I didn't bother You, have fun!

ps: If You took the 2311 - would the 2445 fit through the mounting hole of the horn 8-]

Good Evening, Mini,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I have been leaning, pretty much, towards a pair of 2311 horns, as they will fit my 4333 cabinets perfectly, and will help to obviate some of the delay problems the longer horns have in such cabinets. I'm keeping an eye on a pair of them on FleaBay, but don't know if I'll bid, or not. I'm patient, and will just use my longer horns until the shorter ones appear at a good price. Which horn would you suggest, Mini, for best overall sound with the 2445J? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who is already looking forward to going camping again, possibly next week! YEAH!! )
    Last edited by mini; 08-13-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: mount on

Hey, Mini,

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! Much appreciated! In fact, I have used the JBL horn/lense setup for many years, and I, personally, do like the sound of it. Our listening room, while over all large, has a narrow window in the actual listening area. So, I think that, with the proper lenses, the 2311's would work just fine. I had considered the 238x horns, and still may end up with some with which to play. But, right now, we're coming into our very slow part of the work year, and money is going to get tight fairly soon. So, I think it's best to use what I have, which are the 2307/2308 horn/lense setup, with my 2420 drivers. I'd like to score some 2311's, just to see if I like the sound better with the 2445J's I just got from Todd. (Thanks, Todd!) Then, at some time in the future, I'll very probably get a pair of the 238x horns, and see how I like those, in comparison. You did hit one thing right on the head, though: Nostalgia is a large part of all this, and that makes the entire journey well worthwhile!!

BTW, the 2445J, with the 2311, will fit, perfectly, inside the 4333 cabinets, me thinks. So, that shouldn't be an issue. We'll see how it all turns out. Before I can even think about hooking up any components, I have a lot of work to do on those 4333 cabinets. I'm looking forward to getting started, and will probably do so in early September, if not a little before. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

BTW, the 2445J, with the 2311, will fit, perfectly, inside the 4333 cabinets, me thinks. So, that shouldn't be an issue. We'll see how it all turns out. Before I can even think about hooking up any components, I have a lot of work to do on those 4333 cabinets. I'm looking forward to getting started, and will probably do so in early September, if not a little before. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hi Doc just to be sure you should make sure you have enought room in the cabinet as that 2445 driver is quite large in dia.

As well that 2311 horn acts more like a throat extension of the driver than a horn. It might overtake the whole system.

Obsolete
    I think there are a couple forum members who have the old S22 system, which is basically an S300/L300/4333 with the HL92/2312 & LE85/2420 replaced with the HL93/2311 & 375/2440 or 376/2441.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hi Doc just to be sure you should make sure you have enought room in the cabinet as that 2445 driver is quite large in dia.

As well that 2311 horn acts more like a throat extension of the driver than a horn. It might overtake the whole system.
    Hello, John,

I'm pretty sure the 2311 + 2445J will fit inside the 4333 just fine. As the cabinet is for a 3-way setup (15"/ CD-horn/slot tweeter), there is no dog house that might interfere with mounting the larger CD inside that box. As for now, I'm going to stick with what I have on hand, which is the 2420/2307/2308. I've used this setup before, and like the sound of it. I'd like to try the larger driver/horn combination, just to see how I like it. Also, at some time in the future, it would be fun to play with a 2-way system, and the larger driver and horn would probably be better for that (different horn, of course). Hey, all this is fun, that's for sure!!

As a side note, yesterday, I talked to an old friend of mine, with whom I played in several bands, back in the 1960's. We had made a pair of large cabinets for him, to fit an old Altec 15" woofer that he had inherited. He was not rolling in dough, just like the rest of us back then, so we made his a 2-way sytem, using the Altec 15" + an EV T35A tweeter. We left room for adding the proper EV midrange horn and driver at a later time, but he had never done that. Recently, I found a nice EV horn/driver for a decent price, and called my friend to see if he might still be interested in upgrading his old system. With some sadness, I found out that his old system, which never sounded too bad, actually, was now collecting dust in his garage, and he had "gone over to the dark side", and bought a Bose system!!

After talking to him for a bit, I finally found out that his wife, who never liked having large speakers in the living room, and who would be absolutely satisfied with a small transistor radio as a main stereo system, finally got her way, and talked him into getting the Bose stuff. Poor Bastard!!!

Whilst decribing the system I was in the midst of putting together, and recounting the performance I'm hoping to obtain, I could tell that he was really missing is old Altec woofers, in that huge box!!! Oh, well....... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I think there are a couple forum members who have the old S22 system, which is basically an S300/L300/4333 with the HL92/2312 & LE85/2420 replaced with the HL93/2311 & 375/2440 or 376/2441.

Hey, 4313B,

Thanks, very much, for letting me know that others of our JBL Band have made similar changes to their systems, to those that I'm considering. I'd love to hear from some of them, and to know what they think of the changes they made to their systems. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information