Thread: Speakers for a small bedroom??

Speakers for a small bedroom??

We have a small bedroom 12' x 18' where I just hung a 55" TV. I would like to install some sound. So far, my thoughts are to go with a smaller receiver [Denon 75 WPC], 2 front channels and a 12" powered sub-woofer. All of these components, except speakers are ready to go in there.

My thoughts on the two full range speakers would be to hang them on the front wall near the ceiling.

What speakers would be a good choice? I'm thinking two 3-way 12" speakers like 4312s, for example, would be overkill??? If possible, I would like to spend no more than $600-$700....

..thanks!

L86, L46, S38, E50 or pretty much any variant of 8" 2/3-way designs.

Would you consider a pair of LSR305s?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Would you consider a pair of LSR305s?
    My thoughts exactly....

Does the Denon have pre-outs?
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    My thoughts exactly....

Does the Denon have pre-outs?
    Or, even better, does the TV have audio out with volume controlled by the remote?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Or, even better, does the TV have audio out with volume controlled by the remote?
    Almost all current TVs have a 3.5mm stereo analog audio out. Just use this and the self powered JBLs and your good to go... no universal remote required.

Widget

I assume nothing.
    My Toshiba had only Toslink (Toshiba Link), which was Toshiba's proprietary output so they figured they didn't need any analog output. That's how I got started on my DAC "collection".

...the Denon has no pre-amp outs...

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...the Denon has no pre-amp outs...
    You won't really need a pre-amp if you have an analog audio output from your TV and you can control the volume from the TV or remote.

My iPod Classic and the LSR305s make quite a nice relatively portable sound system.

I just checked and the LSR305s are currently on-sale at Guitar Center for just $99 each right now! If they don't work, take them back. Free shipping, too, for those of you wanting to try a pair of these. Looks like today, only. I just ordered another pair and I have no use for them. They're that good!

....would I be able to use an amplified [powered] speaker like the JBL 305 if the TV is connected to the sat. cable box using an HDMI cable? I thought HDMI cabling was designed to block any non-digital output after the signal goes into a TV, receiver, or other "play" device.

Anyway, the powered speakers would be a good solution which would not require installation of a receiver, I suppose. Upon further thought, the Denon receiver does not have HDMI inputs/outputs, so if I can get a non- digital signal out of the TV this might work well. If this is viable, would I use an RCA splitter cable to get a signal to the powered sub-woofer?

TV is a new Samsung flat screen...

....would I be able to use an amplified [powered] speaker like the JBL 305 if the TV is connected to the sat. cable box using an HDMI cable? I thought HDMI cabling was designed to block any non-digital output after the signal goes into a TV, receiver, or other "play" device.

Anyway, the powered speakers would be a good solution which would not require installation of a receiver, I suppose. Upon further thought, the Denon receiver does not have HDMI inputs/outputs, so if I can get a non- digital signal out of the TV this might work well. If this is viable, would I use an RCA splitter cable to get a signal to the powered sub-woofer?

I believe the sub will cross over and/or pass thru the signal so you can go analogue out from TV to Sub to Mains (LSR).

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

1. Yes, with powered speakers you will not need the Denon AVR. The HDMI cable from any source including the cable box will carry digital audio and video to the TV. The TV has a decoder and DAC and will output a stereo mix which will allow you to power the speakers directly.

2. As Warren suggests if your sub has a pass through, you could go that route, or you could use a splitter.

3. Newer Samsungs don't usually have RCA analog audio outputs but have a raised square bump out with an 1/8" hole in the center which is the analog stereo output. They frequently have two of these, the other is a port for serial control. (RS-232).

Widget

I've been happy with a pair of Control 1, and a sub in our BR.

I did have a spare center I mounted on a small shelf above the tv, 42" Sammy LCD.

But of course, I'm running those from an AV receiver.

Powered speakers like LSR305's and a Chromecast Audio is (are?) a great bedroom solution.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Powered speakers like LSR305's and a Chromecast Audio is (are?) a great bedroom solution.
    I got my second pair of LSR305s two days after ordering them for $98 each including shipping from Guitar Center. Still sealed in their boxes since my first pair is still hooked up to the Crown PSL-2 . . . and sounding wonderful. I just couldn't resist!

Thread Information