Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: An E2 inspired loudspeaker: Quick but not dirty

Hi Merlin,

You can come too!

The 1st box I plan to use, the TQWT is not difficult to make as detailed in the sketch of the links above.

The Emilar horn, the Tad-4001 compression driver and the Tad 1601a woofer in the TQWT to form a system as a known quantity. Crossover components must be of the highest quality.

Then I will explore other enclosures and potentially wood horns.

http://www.studiomaudio.info/onken.html

http://www.tone.co.nz/articles/crack...meter-sound-58

The Parmenter Fat Boy system appears to be a cloned Tad horn and an Onken enclosure. The builder Jason runs a Hifi business in NZ. That system initially used a JBL woofer (unknown model, probably a 2226) and was updated to the Tad 1601a

That system reviews very nicely. The devil is in the details.

However as you may have gathered I am putting my toe in the Tad water carefully to start with. Experience has shown me things tend to work out better initally by starting off with a guide or a basic set-up and then grow with it.

There could be something in the wings as far as sourcing the key drivers at diy prices for interested members on the basis of my initial system working out. I am also investigating CNC fabrication of a wood horn that could be assembled in component form.

I cannot say more about this until I do some trials but it might fill the void left by Harman Consumer and the delays in obtaining components and lack of suitable horns from Harman.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rewarding !!!

Hi Ian,

They are handsome !!! There is nothing more rewarding than building a pair of speakers that work !!!! Its amazing the help thats around when one is humble enough to ask for it ! It would be so boring just running around buying the labels to make one feel whole inside ! You have made everything yourself
    so far . It will take time but, they will be worth it !

Rich .

PM sent

Beautiful photo...

The horn does look similar to the TAD TH-4001, but the TAD has vanes in it... this one does not. I have no idea how audible a change that might be.

You might want to talk with forum member rloggie. I believe he has had some or all of these parts in his home at one time. I know he has had TAD 4001s and I know he has had that Onken bass bin.

Widget

Hi Widget ,

Thanks for the pointer.

I am not looking for the ultimate clone of a Tad system at this point.

The baffle size might be an issue in some rooms.

Everyone has their own ideas on the best box like the Jensen Ultraflex/Onken. The same applies to drivers and horns. Some people swear by the older Yamaha compression drivers on Vitavox horns.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to hear.

A lot has been written technically that challenges both the Onken and Jensen approach's but they appear to have a cult following.

The TQWT will be fun but I also plan to try some conventional bass reflex configurations to get some understanding of how the Tad drivers work for me.

I propose to make Yuichi's 290 wood horn at some point because he has verified the performance on the Tad 4001. Yuichi's 480 horn has been designed with and without vanes for 1 inch driver.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Ian,

They are handsome !!! There is nothing more rewarding than building a pair of speakers that work !!!! Its amazing the help thats around when one is humble enough to ask for it ! It would be so boring just running around buying the labels to make one feel whole inside ! You have made everything yourself
    so far . It will take time but, they will be worth it !

Rich .

PM sent
    These are seriously big boxes. I though you wanted a small system?

Below are some links to all sorts of plans and some horn designs

You can use your tad 2002 on the 1 inch horns like Yuichi's 480 horn but the crossover point will be like 900-1200 hertz. In that case the Altec 416 would work but the Tad 1601 would be pushing it .

http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/H...FL/A480FL.html

http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn/A480/A480.html

http://users.telenet.be/philmundi/jbl/jbl.htm

http://users.telenet.be/philmundi/jbl/img/p_onken.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/philmundi/jb...0%20litres.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/philmundi/ve...ges/m8_jpg.htm

Some of rloggie previous systems

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...89&postcount=1
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...51&postcount=1

The image below blown-up shows what appears to be the Emilar horn.

I will post pics of the Emilar horn later in the week

Stunning speakers!

And thank you for sharing your expertise!

Only two drivers.Simply beautiful.
    Very nice finishing,impressive details...oil,colours..everything...I like it.

From your experience,how much $ do you think will cost such wood horns but for 1" driver ...somewhere for 800Hz cutt-off?

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    Only two drivers.Simply beautiful.
    Very nice finishing,impressive details...oil,colours..everything...I like it.

From your experience,how much $ do you think will cost such wood horns but for 1" driver ...somewhere for 800Hz cutt-off?
    You won't find a 1 inch horn that goes down to 800 hertz properly with a 1 inch driver, 900 hertz and 1200 hertz is more usual. The 1 inch compression drivers have limitations below 1000 hertz and there may be compromises in distortion, output and smoothness of response.

The price of wood horns varies enormously and it comes down to specific details, quality and finish. Diy or buy made?

There are reasonable priced 800 hertz wood horns sold by diy loudspeaker vendors. There are people on the internet that made such horns too. You need to explore if they meet your requirements.

Cheap wood horns are not an indication of quality

Wood horns on Ebay tend to be costly.

http://www.ta-on.com/cyabinet-menu/framepage2.htm

Consider one of Yuichi's 1 inch diy wood horns and an Altec 416 GPA woofer.

My thoughts is for Altec 414-16B + 1" or 2" driver in wood horns.The horn need to go down to 1khz...1,2khz,based on this measurements,what do you think?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...=18913&page=13
    There is also Jensen cabinet for 414....12".
    I have already the 414-16B woofers and Altec 806A into 811 horns.
    Do you think is a proper way to change the 806A with an extended one,or to go upper with a help of a supertweter?...from 12khz upper...

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    My thoughts is for Altec 414-16B + 1" or 2" driver in wood horns.The horn need to go down to 1khz...1,2khz,based on this measurements,what do you think?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...=18913&page=13
    There is also Jensen cabinet for 414....12".
    I have already the 414-16B woofers and Altec 806A into 811 horns.
    Do you think is a proper way to change the 806A with an extended one,or to go upper with a help of a supertweter?...from 12khz upper...

This is something you need to try for yourself, measure and also listen.

My suggeston is open a new thread on your project and go from there

This thread has stired up quite a bit of pm traffic about parts and horns in particular.

If you want to tackle a project like this you have to put in the hard yards on sourcing drivers, horns and other components yourself and figuring out what you want to do.

This is not an overnight or weekend project and at this stage I am not going to make any recommendations about particular drivers, horns or sources of components until I have a full working system.

There are places and people who can help with parts and at reasonable prices but be prepared to do a fair bit of leg work.

http://www.ta-on.com/network/framepage2.htm

Check out the babblefish translation. I don't think they are charge coupled...dang it!

About networkSaying, that suitability of the network which the music signal passes to straight decides system the grade of the whole SP it is not overstatement.
    How, the expensive amplifier using even when, using how expensive speaker system, unless network is good, you cannot show either the half of the charm.
    Expensive part, good sound? With think, as for the expensive part the good material when it is superior physically to be many, it is certain to become the shortcut which makes good sound. However because every part has the specific timbre, that the same part is used, it thinks that it is prohibited thing.
    Combination of the right talent right place is necessary. But it is serious to search the right talent right place, but when… combination succeeds, being attractive, it plays back the natural music of the extent which is surprised.
    You think that it is the cause to which also excessive impedance revision makes the stirring impression of music lose. Just what makes impedance physically even does not think, is connected to the playback of pleasant music with. When revision is done too much, there is no stirring impression, because funny it becomes the music which is not the straw raincoat, is.
    It is the element whose also wiring part arrangement is important to the sound making. You must avoid the part kind of arrangement which receives the influence of [rikejihuratsukusu] completely. On that, how it tries not to become loop wiring?
    Perhaps, experience necessity but… the device of wiring and clean wiring which will be been clear plays back the music above imagining. Until now excessively did not appreciate (excessively sound recording was not good), thinks even with CD that you make about splendid music inquire in that appearance.
    When using the unit where the sound pressure differs extremely, for example, when the woofer 95db and the driver 112db being use, the device becomes necessary. Sound pressure difference of the woofer and the driver is also 17db, the fact that level you adjust with just [atsuteneta] is difficult skill. Assuming, if level adjustment was possible, you think that it is not the sound which you can agree upon. As a measure, when (10 db) the attenuation resistance about of −10db is provided on network side, sound pressure difference of the woofer and the driver becomes 7db and sufficiently level adjustment is possible with [atsuteneta] and reaches the point where it can do fine control.
    Lastly, it is digression, but… the full range speaker whose sometimes quality is good we recommend that it becomes hearing. You think that speaker system (network) when constructing, important hint is given.

http://www.ta-on.com/wood_h01/framepage2.htm

And here we have horns.....LOL

The fact that you analyzed the horn which was called the name machine of western RCA and the like thoroughly, found the secret in open factor of horn, open factor (m) function f (x) applied, evolved is HI-α wood horn. The result and high pass deterioration, horn it is ill-smelling, it displaced and gentleness of sound, good quality of the sound coming out today 蘇 it succeeded in making obtain.

'Seeking the wood horn of ideal',…HI-α horn development starts when inquiring about [uesutan] 15A which was called the name machine. As for 15A horn in spite even in the long horn which exceeds 3 meters, the sound coming out being preeminent, horn is ill-smelling the minute dust you do not make feel. Several there was an opportunity which inquires about [uesutanhon] to in addition to, but being in common, it was to be the horn where as for being able to say, the sound coming out is good to everything, plays back natural sound. When today we would like to make this gentle sound revive, it developed HI-α horn. The name machine the horn which such as [uesutan] RCA was called is analyzed thoroughly, the fact that secret is hidden in open factor is found, in the form which the basic design of [uesutan] RCA horn is followed you established and the fact that developed individual arithmetic expression is HI-α horn. The fact that you adhered to the material, adhered to form, furthermore, you excluded the element which becomes with 0 in sound thoroughly, sought ideal and developed is HI-α horn.
    Feature of HI-α horn           1) Adopting the fin less.Shield pine sound manufacture starts shaving, first the wood product when putting out horn to world, in the audio boundary still as for the fin indispensable ones makes and though one person me just the fin is not must be horn, you insisted that. Number of people of the multitude are dealt with, (such as 300 people, 500 people and 1000 people it deals with) at the large meeting place and the like, as for the fin you think that in the sense that directivity is expanded it is necessary but…,

Though one person me just, as for the fin insisted that they are not anything ones of the cause of making turbid sound.
    If today, also the certain large manufacturer fin less horn thought of that being developed and being sold by subject and tried adjusting, you think that insistence of shield pine sound manufacture was correct.

2) Developing shield pine sound manufacture individual arithmetic expression,Though me as for feature of horn there is the open factor.When the name machine open factor of the horn which such as [uesutan] and RCA was called is inspected, it is found that it is not made with the arithmetic expression which used single open factor. It is exponential hyperbolic and the like, as an arithmetic expression of horn, but with the arithmetic expression which as for this you saw from the side of cutoff quality of horn to the last and makes most profitable, considering the sound coming out, it is not something which is designed.Therefore the name machine the horn which such as [uesutan] and RCA is called has changed the open factor of the respective arithmetic expression delicately. Though me with you paid attention to this point, digitalized this, function (Fx) you actualized the playback of the natural sound where the sound coming out is good by the fact that it adds in usual open factor.3) The zinc alloy metal throat whose loss is littleIn horn, as for the pre- shear which corresponds to the throat section there are enormous ones which exceed the imagination.Saying, that most of energy loss and information loss occurs in this part, it is not overstatement.With shield pine sound manufacture many experiments were repeated, appropriate length of the metal throat was searched vis-a-vis the xylem, the metal throat of the long [me] was adopted from other companies.Also selection of the material produces big effect on music playback. With shield pine sound manufacture, the throat was produced with the metal where over 10 types differ, in the hearing comparing, the zinc alloy which plays back gentle sound without acquiring color, was adopted.4) Adopting the hard maple laminated wood for the xylemIn the torso part of the drum, even excessively it is famous for the maple material to be used and as a main material of the violin.The maple material to be beautiful the timbre 凛 as, there to be the stickiness, you think that because the power which answers to the request where the professional is harsh is concealed.The drum the highest material is made the maple. There to be the stickiness in sound, because deep sound is sent, is.Because this expensive maple material it starts shaving HI-α horn luxuriously with computer integral protection NC LutherThe curve where the precision which either the deviation of the sun/size section is not high completes.5) Adopting the board thickness type of the open part.The fact that it is overlooked unexpectedly is thickness of the board of the horn open part.The wood because sound is kind, is tend to overlook the horn calling, but the horn calling makes the edge of music sweet.Especially, wooden horn makes the extent board thickness which goes to the facilities appropriation open part thin not to obtain, the calling here are big ones above imagining.Therefore with saying, when it makes the open part thick, becomes wastefully not only becoming heavy, style bad and with respect to eyesight is not beautiful.With shield pine sound manufacture, barely in the surface and the underside, without making thickness the open part feel by the fact that the curve can be given, holding down callingAlso the eye which you saw to be beautiful being quiet, it became the horn which has the high-class impression.A certain certain large manufacturer is and, the horn where at the time of the [tsu] the top and bottom part is rather thick it has been sold, but you think as the thing which considers this point.

Thread Information