Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: An E2 inspired loudspeaker: Quick but not dirty

Along with other resources we need an loudspeaker crossover tool box.

To correctly design a loudspeaker crossover network requires collection of data/ measurement and a means of designing and optimising the crossover functions.

This can be done in the analogue domain with passive filters or analogue active filters.

There is also emerging technology to use the digital domain as shown in this link:

http://www.acourate.com/#TUTORIALS

Prior to starting this phase of the system development it is important to have some system goals.

Once the goals have been determined and proven realistic and viable the specifications that will meet the requirements can be set as targets.

Individual components can then be selected on the basis of meeting the target specifications.

The significance of this approach is that you can specify the system around your goals rather then attemping to specify the end goals against particular components. I have seldom seen projects work out well on that basis. For diy purposes the latter might be a more pragmatic approach but it is important to have a clear understanding of what your componments will and won't do.

For example in the case of most if not all the JBL PT wave-guides they were never intended to be used below 2,000 hertz (the CM cone based wave-guides work from 200- 2000 hertz) in the JBL systems and yet we see people trying to make them go below 900 hertz.

http://www.jblpro.com/PD5000/PDF/JBL_PD5322_95_CutSheet.pdf

In this example the PT-H95HF is passively crossed over at 36 db per actave @1.5 khertz using the 2431 compression driver.

Very often JBL components are designed and specified for a particular system or application..just like any other manufacturer. If you are cloning a system and have all the components on hand then your job is mostly done.ie a JBL 4343 or 4435.

But if you are starting from almost a clean sheet of paper with perhaps one dependant or known component ie the 2435 compression driver then there is a lot more to consider. For the diy project cost and availability will impact on the above process but there is no harm is carefully assessing all the viable options.

Broadly stated my goal is:

"The idea being to bring to the table a 2 way based system that will deliver a very smooth, coherent and detailed sound not found in the earlier 43XX systems with hi sensitivity, low power compression and very low distortion. Will it be an MTM ? No. Will this be a rediculously expensive project. No.''

Breaking down that goal into specifics ; smooth response, coherent, detailed sound, hi sensitivity, low power compression, low distortion.

Without going into micro detail at this point I need to specify my sensitivity target,: What is a hi sensitivity system? 90db 1 watt, 93 db 1 watt 96 db 1 watt , 99 db 1 watt.

Why do I want a high sensitivity system?

So I can use less powerful amps of very high quality. All things being equal high sensitivity systems have lower power compression and lower distortion and higher dynamic range than the low or moderate sensitivity counterparts. This is / was clearly audible in A/ B comparisons when I visited John Nebel's wall of sound in 2004 and we compared the 4435 to the LRS6332. The LRS system was more accurate in some repects but the 4435 was more life like in its presentation imho. Its was very obvious the LRS system needed far more power for the same levels.

I think 90 db is average for a home audio loudspeaker and 99 db is very high in the PA category. A more meaningful measure is the amount of power required for a specificed acoustic output at 1 metre. A 96 db sensitivity system is only going to need 1/4 of the power of the 90 db system for the same acoutic output.

So if a 90 db system needed a 100 watt amp to produce the require dynamic range then the 96 db system would need a 25 watt amp. When you are operating full biased class A amps these are serious considerations in terms of power consumption and okay global warming!

I do have on hand a 500 watt class A, A/B amp and I propose to use this for the woofer and a smaller fully biased class A amp for the compression driver.

But seriously I tend to believe along with many other people that a properly designed systems of hi sensitivity have better retrieval of micro dynamic and spatial detail.

So I can live with somewhere in the range of 95-96 db 1 watt.

Now the other goals: smooth response, coherent, detailed sound

Fortunately a 2 way design supports the requirement for a coherent sound because there is only 1 crossover point in the most audibly sensitive part of the human hearing frequency range. Just exactly where the crossover point will be and the type of filts is yet to be determined but it will be somewhere between 800-1.5 kertz.

I think +- 3 db for the woofer and +- 2 db for the horn is a reasonable and realistic specification. Smoothness in the 1-4 khertz range is most important. I have not set frequency bandwidth yet. This will be somewhat influenced by my room, particularly room gain. However on paper I would like - 6db points of 45 hertz and 20 khertz

Below and above these points may require some augmentation from an ELF device/ aka helper woofer or a super high frequency transducer. This will be determined by the in-room response and subjective performance.

In terms of the how part and what components to specify I have drawn up a spread sheet of all the likely candidates in terms of woofers and horns.

Obviously a 90 db sensitivity woofer is not going to work within my specifications.

But if I parralleled two woofers the net sensitivity would be 95-96 db @ 4 ohms.

Lower/modest sensitivity woofers tend to have extended bass response but they are not always to well suited to reproducing the midrange region and can have a peak as a result of break-up of the somewhay heavy and stiff cones that are best suited for extended bass woofers.

This would limit crossover point options. So it will be a case by case selection if that scenario presents itself. The JBL 1200 Fe http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21713

and the Visation TIW 300 http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/bildgross/840_afrequenzgang.html
    are options in that category.

As to single drivers of 95-96 db there are too many to discuss here but the options included a driver in prototype stage made by a local firm Loranz who claim Tad performance, the Tad 1600 series drivers if they are available, the JBL 2234 and a interesting mid bass woofer by Precision Devices PDN.15BR40 Neodymium http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=79 .Audio Elegance also have some interesting 15 inch woofers using a novel motor to reduce flux modulation.

A woofer that provides easier crossover integration like the Precison Devices PDN 15BR40 and the Loranz AC-390X-B1 will have preference.

I have ruled out the JBL 1500AL on grounds of the hazards of shipping such a heavy driver and cost. ( I estimate it would cost $500 to ship each driver)

At this point the 2435 be compression driver is a given but it maybe upgraded to a large format 4 inch driver pending how the project turns out.

The type of horn or wave-guide will be critical and I propose to try at least two alternatives. I am looking a several wood horns, one of which will be CNC machined and fibreglass offerings from Azzrahorn and DDS.

When I have more specifc data and applications recommendations on some of the drivers I will post details.

A couple of concept images if what the end result may look like:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hello Ian

You might want to see how the 2435 plays out on your chosen horn. They can run out of room up top. Depending on how well the top end on the horn plays it may limit your woofer sensitivity on a passive set-up. Best bet may be active depending on what drivers you end up choosing.

Rob

The oval "concept" horn looks interesting.

In the horizontal plane the flanges are opening wide just as the tractrix horn or the Kugelwellentrichter do. It can even be compared with the EII horn - without sharp angles - measurements concerning the divergence would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Ian

You might want to see how the 2435 plays out on your chosen horn. They can run out of room up top. Depending on how well the top end on the horn plays it may limit your woofer sensitivity on a passive set-up. Best bet may be active depending on what drivers you end up choosing.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Good point.

I agree it will depend on the horn and I think this is on the data sheet as I recall.

Going active is on the agenda so as not to fall foul of the problems Eq and level shifting issues experienced with another project.

I do not see what the big deal is about making it go flat to 20 Khertz, my spec is -6 @ 20 K herta as was in Gregs's diy system. I can't hear much reliably past 13 Khertz..its all air and ambience.

The plan a few horns even if have to borrow some and use a 1.5 to 2 inch adapter (which might actually work better) just to get a feel for what it does.

If it proves too big a PITA I will Ebay it or bin it and buy a Tad 4002/4001 which frankly I should have done at the outset and run a ribbon above 10 khertz.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    The oval "concept" horn looks interesting.

In the horizontal plane the flanges are opening wide just as the tractrix horn or the Kugelwellentrichter do. It can even be compared with the EII horn - without sharp angles - measurements concerning the divergence would be interesting.

I think its is a hyprid much like so many horns today with a hyperbolic/ exponential throat and then secondary planes that are seemless.

The earlier EV CE horns by Keele pioneered this approach according to an AES paper I down loaded recently. The Peavy Quadratic wave-guide is another hyprid (I plan to buy a pair).

Below is a very good paper on the evolution of constant directivity horns.

The smooth eliptical shape hides the contours.

The elipical shape overcomes the issues of the Geddes wave guide on axis as I understand it. In a way I imagine this is the next step on from the Geddes.

I have requested data.

I think they use a customised BMS concentic driver.
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Also from www.stereo-lab.de o[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']n offer is a new pair of wonderful 1.5“ CF > 400 Hz Tractrix Horns made by Stereo-Lab.de. Diameter ~ 310 mm, Length ~ 290 mm, Thickness ~ 10 mm, made of a composite material which is poor in resonance, milled flange, inside and outside perfect finish with black structural studio coat. [/font][/font]

Those eliptical horns are not available for sold sale seperately.

Ian

Hi Ian!

When it comes to the 15"-drivers, have you considered the ME150? I know they could be bought at a very reasonable price from JBL earlier and it's a very impressive driver.

Regarding stereolabs tractrixhorn I saw on one of your pictures, I own a pair of 400hz flares that I use daily with some 2450's. They sound very good, but when comparing to the H9800 they image bad, at least in my setup (room etc).

Good luck on your quest!

Previously unidentified issues seem to be creeping in on finding or should I say obtaing the desired drivers.

The Australian operation is not being very co operative or should I say not user friendly since they learn I am a JBL feak by referring them to the forums, they hate JBL with a vengence and want to charge me for measuring the drivers.

I have two options for the low end , maybe three at this stage.

Twin Visation 12 inch TIW300 woofers mentioned earlier.

Tad 1601/1603

A hyprid woofer configuration of the JBL 2245 below 50 hertz and a mid bass driver , either a 2234, a Pecsision Devices PDN.15BR40 Neodymium or Tad 1601.

The former is a pre engineered arrnagement in 180 litres only -4 db down 30 hertz ansd -6 db down at 25 hertz with slight rolloff below 100 hertz to account for room gain and wall boundary (fb 24.6) . Mid band senitivity ref 2.83 volts 97 db . Other tuning options are available.

The Tad option is nice.

The 1601 in an optimum tuned box is -6 db at 36 hertz in 97 litre box , the 1603 is -6 db at 31 hertz with only 132 litre box. The 1601 is somewhat more sensitive at 97 db compared to about 95 db for the 1603 from what I have seen.

The final option is a an idea of using the 2245 below 50 hertz and a studio Mid bass driver from Precision Devices (Neo) http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=79 with all the bells and whistles.

There are some benefit despite the complexity. Crossover to the horn is more flexible up to nearly 2000 hertz,independent (IET) of both the 2245H and the mid bass so I can have extended bass and a punchy upper bass..

The Precision Devices driver is somewhat similar to the Tad 1601 curve and box size but the Tad is a little more extended. The 1691 can be crossed over up to 1200 hertz

Assuming I can obtain the Tad 1601 or the 1603 I will most certain acquire a pair.

The thing I like about all these 15 inch drivers is they are weighted towards high sensitivity for good mid bass performance and they are very clean. The 2245 can of course to used for ELF or as a help woofer wit any of these setups.

Non of the above comparisons take into account room effects.

This is another benefit of the small boxes using the tads drivers, they can be got off the floor with the horn at a comfortable listening height.

Odd as it may seem after looking at what I think will work the best for my two way system I come around to the Tad drivers. This does not mean to say none of the JBL drivers would work, they would but I think at this point the Tad drivers if available ( checked delivery 8-12 weeks) have the edge.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    Hi Ian!

When it comes to the 15"-drivers, have you considered the ME150? I know they could be bought at a very reasonable price from JBL earlier and it's a very impressive driver.

Regarding stereolabs tractrixhorn I saw on one of your pictures, I own a pair of 400hz flares that I use daily with some 2450's. They sound very good, but when comparing to the H9800 they image bad, at least in my setup (room etc).

Good luck on your quest!
    I had not thought about the ME150..not much information on it it would seem.

Thanks for the tip on the horn

Please appreciate my original plan was to make a system like Greg's diy home system but as we know the horns are no more which is really unfortunate. So I have come up with something else that I hope has a high probability of being better than what I already have. I am confident a Tad based system will realise that goal. I also have a lot of information available on diy tad horns and access to an soa active crossover either analogue or digital .

Ian

Links

They are interesting.

I propose to get away from the chunky box look if I can, probably a polygon.

The graph below is is only a guide. But it indicates a rising response at low frequencies. As speakers descend in frequency they become increasingly omni-directional. This means they become, gradually, a spherical radiator. The increased energy then bounces back into the room.

Courtesy of Martin Colloms and his book High Performance Loudspeakers:

The Colloms Curve & Average Room

Next I will try and superimpose this on the standard 2Pi response.

As a rule and if carefully taken into account, the tuning to allow for room gain assists in placement of the loudspeaker in the listening space.

In a recording studio the scenario particularly different where sofit mounting of large monitors is employed.

Below is the normalised family of curves incorporating the above Colloms Average Room.

This is interesting because so many of us use simulations but how often do weconsider the effect of room infulence in your tuning?

One of those drivers is a 2235 red in 5 cu ft 3 tuned to 28 hertz, the maxium of the hump is 2.9 db at 60 hertz.

In the overal scheme of things you might accept that as a flat bass response and be used to it over time but not to a trained ear.

The other curves are the tad 1601 blue/1603 yellow and the Precision Devices mid bass woofer green.

But what I find equally interesting is that the ear is most sensitive to the level of bass in the 35-50 hertz region. This is well documented by Witold Waldron (creator of Calsod) and other scientists.

The last family of curves is the tad 1601 Yellow and the 1603. In each case we have an optimum tuned box and a customised large box (about 50%) tuned to 25 hertz.

This is known as a dynamic alignment where the box is tuned to the best optimally flat response in the room. Of course it would need to be tested and voiced and a high pass filter used to avoid excessive excursions.

But as you can see the response is far flatter and there is significantly more low end extension.

Wit the dynamic alignent the Tad 1601 has a maximum hump at 63 hertz of 1.3 db and is -3 db down at 25 hertz and -6 db at 21 hertz. In the optimium 2Pi box alignment the 1601 is -3db at 31 hertz and -6 db at 27 hertz.

The Tad 1603 is -3 db at 22 hertz with the dynamic alignment.

In attempting this type of tuning you woud need to weigh up if the loss in dispacement limited output was worth while. Usually there is a compromise were there will be some benefit of extended output and smoother in room response.

There is another way of providing modifed room response. Electrical Equalization.

This can be analogue or digital

Here is a B6 class 1 response of the Tad1601b (without room gain)

The actual maximum output on that curve is not correct so I have posted a BassBox simulation of the output and unassisted response.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The Australian operation is not being very co operative or should I say not user friendly
    Bloody Australians

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    .....since they learn I am a JBL feak by referring them to the forums, they hate JBL with a vengence and want to charge me for measuring the drivers.
    Hello Ian,

If you need any help measuring the drivers freq. response I can help, once I sort out my dying laptop sound card. If you need Thiele/Small Parameters this is also possible but VERY handraulic.

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the offer. I am a fair way off any measurements at this point but but will keep it in mind.

About the local well I guess he is of a factory mind-set. I think it must be the genes. The Poms are worse though.

When I asked for details of his claim they were as good as Tad/JBL like some LMS distortion measurements and other data I got a pelted with stones and every excuse you could think of not to provide data. The only supporting statements were his drivers are un breakable and better made.

In any case unless he come sup with something remarkable I dont be wasting further time in that direction.

Thread Information