Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After The Fall

Thank you for the SunTour info. I'd have to check, but I believe I have some of their gear on the old Peugot-frame 10 speed I put together back in the mid-80s.
    A sad tale ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Indeed, Mr Widget. One of my favorite companies was Suntour, a designer and manufacturer of bicycle components.
    Here is a quote from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/suntour.html

"Suntour stopped producing components in March of 1995. The name was bought by SR, but the component designs did not survive."

That is because part of the deal was the complete destruction of all their tooling. From this great page http://www.hadland.me.uk/page35.htm, a full history. ""

At this point, consider this a cautionary tale.

Clark
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Pity JBL did not introduce the 1500A type surrounds somewhat earlier.
    Ian

Ahh, the beauty of the GTi series. These have the same type surrounds as the 1500A and under normal use, should never need replacement.

A primary reason that I went with the W10GTi for my surrounds is because of foam replacement (or lack for the need thereof).

My two front surrounds are 16 feet in the air. Each speaker weighs in at ~65 pounds. One is backed by a mirror so I can't even put a ladder against the wall. It takes two people, a scaffold, a double-sided ladder, and lots of harsh words to get these either up or down.

I recently replaced the components at 16 years (foams were deteriorated) and am now 54 years old. Do you really think I want to hassle with this again when I'm 70???? Would anyone in their right mind?

And at 8 feet in the air, the rear surrounds aren't that easy either.

These are what's in them"

And here is the spectral analysis with the speaker sitting on top of my L200 cabinet. This is at ~2 meters and is uncorrected exhibiting the typical floor bounce, room response, and all. But, this is far smoother than the L200 cabinets with 2235s/LE175-HL91/075.

After JBL

JBL buys many parts from suplliers. When JBL stops offering these parts the suplliers of JBL continue to sell to the big re-cone shops (Orange county etc) and other ones in the know. I see it important to buy from reputable shops and suppliers that are knowledgable as such. Comments????

Thread Information