Thread: After The Fall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After The Fall

I know better than to ask for information or opinions about a future event, but here is an exception.

In another thread I mused about a small time application for classic JBL cone transducers after the apparently expected end of cone kit availability. My question is, what do YOU think will happen and what would you personally do if/when factory cone kits are NLA (No Longer Available)? Do you think quality third party suppliers would emerge? What would you do if they do not?

The application I suggested, while not common, would have the advantage of rendering the classic transducers the equal of the best contemporary offerings for that particular application. I mention this in anticipation of a barrage of responses, welcome here for sure, telling us to get over it and buy the newer, better stuff.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=28

I expect replacement diaphragms for compression drivers and tweeters are another question altogether.

I might also ask how soon the great NLA might come to pass. Speculation and inside information welcome!

I have often wondered if the numbers of the units out there (do we have all the speakers not already in landfills?) would be too small, in the great scheme of things, to interest any entrepreneurs offering high quality. We are all hoping for another Great Plains Audio, but is that realistic, especially with JBL, unlike Altec, still out there?

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    My question is, what do YOU think will happen
    My understanding is that no one really knows what is going to happen right now.
    I might also ask how soon the great NLA might come to pass. Speculation and inside information welcome!
    Unknown at this time.
    what would you personally do if/when factory cone kits are NLA (No Longer Available)?
    Buy Tannoy.
    Do you think quality third party suppliers would emerge?
    Possibly. More likely if there is money to be made. People cry and whine about the genuine JBL parts now so unless Walmart wants to come out with their own kits I think it would be a doomed enterprise.
    What would you do if they do not?
    Buy Tannoy. The only reason I buy JBL is because there is a JBL and because they continue to support their products. As kits have become NLA I have released the systems no longer supported. Yeah, it sucks but that's life.

People who want to maintain specific systems tend to horde spare parts as time goes but. Something gets parted out on eBay or CL and someone might pick up a spare part or two.

Ducatista47: Yep, I see what you are talking about. Altec-Lansing is a prime example. We come that close to loosing it with Altec. As an example, over the years JBL has dropped the of their 075/076/077 tweeters.

So if you're concerned about recone kits and diaphrams etc, maybe you should stock a few extra parts. I know its costs money, but you will have the security that your drivers will always be functioning with OEM parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Buy Tannoy.

Well, maybe in some instances... In general, I'd say you are better off buying extras and hoping you wear out before they do.

Then again, there is always TAD... no, actually not. They are making their product NLA as fast as JBL is.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In general, I'd say you are better off buying extras and hoping you wear out before they do.
    That's a fact!

Just jettison that old stuff and move into the 21st Century (or at least the late 20th).
    Out.

Just jettison that old stuff and move into the 21st Century (or at least the late 20th).
    Ah Fooey!

Where's fun in that, just get some spares while you can.

Rob

After JBL

JBL buys many parts from suplliers. When JBL stops offering these parts the suplliers of JBL continue to sell to the big re-cone shops (Orange county etc) and other ones in the know. I see it important to buy from reputable shops and suppliers that are knowledgable as such. Comments????

Thread Information