Thread: I Want to Complain

I Want to Complain

My Internet connection and phone, all through my cable company, has been acting up for at least 2 weeks with intermittent phone and Internet. Call service and they send the guy out. Unfortunately I couldn't be there. I am a little paranoid about people pulling cables behind my main HT set-up. I get home power it up and HUMMMMMMMMMMM

I hate ground loops they are such a pita to find. Before the service all was well. So I start checking my ground wires. I have a star ground single point system that ties directly to my outside service grounding rod. Works like a charm.

I can't find anything wrong so I ask my wife what he did. Found out he changed the main line feed from the pole to the house. I go outside and guess what is not connected?? The ground for the cable system I hook it problem fixed

Any of you guys have cable ground issues. How do you fix them?? Hard ground or an isolator??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Transformer based isolator - Jensen VRD-1FF. We assume one goes on every Cable subscriber - saves a service call later.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_vid.html

What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    My Internet connection and phone, all through my cable company, has been acting up for at least 2 weeks with intermittent phone and Internet. Call service and they send the guy out. Unfortunately I couldn't be there. I am a little paranoid about people pulling cables behind my main HT set-up. I get home power it up and HUMMMMMMMMMMM

I hate ground loops they are such a pita to find. Before the service all was well. So I start checking my ground wires. I have a star ground single point system that ties directly to my outside service grounding rod. Works like a charm.

I can't find anything wrong so I ask my wife what he did. Found out he changed the main line feed from the pole to the house. I go outside and guess what is not connected?? The ground for the cable system I hook it problem fixed

Any of you guys have cable ground issues. How do you fix them?? Hard ground or an isolator??

Rob
    Yep - I had the same issue with Verizon when they installed FIOS at my house - the guy did a couple things and I told him - "thats not a good idea, you'll get a hum" ... he assured me he was a professional and it wouldn't. When he connected the his gear to my coax, and a nasty hum ensued downstairs - I cancelled the install and threw the bum out!

Well, that was after he didn't realize my mac mini was the computer "No, where is the tower, the computer?" (afterwards - Me: Have you ever installed a MAC before?, Him: sure, lots of them!)
    and also after he tried to stealth-install some windows software on my Max,
    (he did a browser test and repeatedly clicked INSTALL on some EXE piece of software at his Verizon URL - but didn't bother to tell me or ask first) ... of course it wouldn't install.

3 strikes, you're OUT!

CATV guys - you don't gotta love them!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information