Thread: Marantz SA-8001

Marantz SA-8001

I just bought a new Marantz SA-8001 cdp. Sounds amazing. This makes the S2600 speakers sound very, very good. I am quite impressed and thrilled at the sound. The Sansui G-8000 and the rest of the system really came alive.

Nice, well regarded unit.

I've considered it too, but would really like to have the option of multi-channel output.

I Agree With Both of You

I also have this player and feel it is a particularly good one. The non-opamp analog output stage, which is unusual at any price, contributes to this players performance in my opinion.

The lack of multi-channel outputs on this CDP is a shame. That may have been done to keep the unit attractive to die-hard audiophiles that do not like multi-channel, although I feel that was foolish if true. Six all discrete component output channels would have cost a fair amount more and taken this players price over $1k, no doubt. I have seen on other players that cheaper parts were used on the surround channels, which could have been done here as well.

Marantz has some very pricey CDPs available, I wonder how they compare to this one? This one is Stereophile class A rated, FWIW.

I am sorry, but what use is multi-channel for a stand alone cdp? Please excuse my ignorance but I am uncertain what that is for. Perhaps surround sound system? If so, I do not need it as my media room has the complete surround sound system whereas the stereo room is just for two channel listening. Again, I am sorry for not understanding.

Hi Tom,

It sounds like you understand, and don't need multi-channel in your "hi-fi" room,
    so that unit fits your needs fine.

I have a fine CDP already, but have interest in multi-channel listening as well
    (including a boatload of the re-done Living Stereo hybrid SACD/CD disks, many
    of which have the original 3-ch presentation available). ... so I wish there were
    more multi-disc-format, multi-channel, audio-only options, and the Marantz unit
    came tantalizingly close. (near a price point I would consider)

For Example...

there are many audio only "surround sound" disks available, as SACDs, DVD Audio, and even audio only DTS and Dolby Digital encoded music. Whether or not the music in multi-channel is a gimmic or worthy of consideration is certainly a debate in the audio enthusiast hobby.

Recently, I heard a multi-channel DVD-A re-mix of Neil Young's Harvest album. A picture I believe that was part of the original vinyl album release and included as a still photo displayable on ones's TV while the music played showed a very casual set-up of the musicians in an old barn. The DVD-A remix seemed to copy that set-up, locating the musicians at the various places in the photo, while placing the listener just off to one side.

I thought this disk was the most effective use of multi-channel audio only sound I had yet heard. The imaging within the multi-channel mix was great, the musicians were not simply placed into a channel, but were specifically located in space as they would have been in real life, playing unamplified acoustic instruments, or through one amp/speaker unit.

It is true that this performance lent itself to that simple but effective mix but it also showed the potential of multi-channel sound for audio only use. Whether one needs another player when they already have a surround sound system can only be answered by the individual. My audio system is seperate from the movie watching surround sound system, so yes I would need two if I wish to maintain that seperation and desire to invest in that as well.

Unfortunately, the amount of media worthy of playback on an audio only surround system may be the actual arbiter of whether or not it is done.

While I still love this CDP, I was lamenting the lack of multi-channel outputs that are found on much cheaper players, and have imagined how good they would have been on this unit.

SACD to by?

That clears my confusion up. I'm sorry. Another question: Where are some best places to buy new ( or used ) SACD's? Amazon.com has some, ebay a few. Might there be some other venue that specializes in the SACD format for two channel operation? Thanks for your responses in advance.

Also, I must say this Marantz cdp sounds great with SACD and redbook cd's, however, my Onkyo DX-788F is not far behind and it is build quality is much better than the Marantz.

Thread Information