Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: NEW 1.5 inch horn for 4345 / 4343

Rich,

When I heard Bo's updated 4345 with the Tad 2002 I can say it had that 4345 sound/ presentation. But was purer, smoother and had more depth.

Not cold or sterile.

Suggest you get the crossover all sorted before arriving at any conclusions.

Ian

As some of you are possibly aware I have recently installed the short 1.5 inch horn and the JBL 2435 Be.

I know Mike is interested in some feedback on this idea and I plan to post some details later in the week.

iMac

with flared expectations

Cool...

I just did the drawings for a local jobber to make and install the aluminum 1.5" flanges on a group of (8) cutdown 2307's.

These will be a different length ( a little longer ) than the "clone" horned 2313's you have but I think your analysis should be relevant either way.

After looking at all my horns that are in the shop, along with the PT's that are enroute from JBL, I think I am going to use the 2332 array 90 degree 1.5" aluminum horn for the 4345 clones I am going to build late this summer and was wondering if you have any of those horns to do a side-by-side analysis and/or network tweaks..

I could send one out forthwith ( love that word ) to keep your schedule fluid.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't.

That would be interesting.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    As some of you are possibly aware I have recently installed the short 1.5 inch horn and the JBL 2435 Be.

I know Mike is interested in some feedback on this idea and I plan to post some details later in the week.

iMac
    Hi Ian,
    So what are your conclusions regarding this 2435 integration? Is it aquaplassed ?

I should have some information in the next few weeks.

capable of *significant* advantages in response, distortion, power and of course, weight

Hi,

Did You ever since confirm that the goal has been reached with the DIY adaptors? Concerning distorsion first? My background is a homemade but own comparison EV HP940/DH1a vs JBL 2352/2447. I didn't see to much advantage on the 1.5 side. And it was dm'd LOUD (never ever do that without a sound ear protection, don't even try!).

Best Regards

As this old thread came up I got curious and did some calculations on the various combinations based only upon length from phaseplug, throat area and mouth area. I came up to this assuming we have pure expontial flares:

2" driver + horn 300Hz flare, 1kHz Fu
    1" driver(guessed throat dia at phaseplug is 3/4") + 2307 350Hz flare, 1kHz Fu
    1,5" + cutdown 2307 500Hz flare, 1,4kHz Fu(due to length)

As an exponential horn is made up from a decided throatarea I doubt the cutdown 2307 is to be considered as an expontential, so those figures are maybe not valid.

Anyone who have made any calculations pointing in the same direction as mine?
    Last edited by reVintage; 06-06-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: wrong calculations
    Brgds
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I should have some information in the next few weeks.
    Hi Ian,
    I see that you are now exploring other options, so what were your conclusions on the 2435/4345 integration?

It came down to the prospect of having to redesign the network and the effort of carving into my nice baffles.

The 2435 is not a user friendly driver to use for diy people.

For the moment I have put it on hold in favour of redesigning the entire front baffle of the 4345 to complement proper integtration of the md cone and protential horn /driver candidates.

That of course will mean a new network, most likely active.

Suggets you look out the a Tad 2001 or the more recent tad model for stock 4345 updates

Ian

Thread Information