Thread: L60t issue

L60t issue

I've been in and out of the site for a time now but not as a member....now that I'm back in the JBL family I decided to sign up...I'm looking forward to picking your brains from time to time...

Ok...I scooped up a SUPER minty pair of JBL L-60t floor standers at a bargain price of $55....Can't go wrong there. (.9 out of 10 condition.

......after giving them a pretty serious listening with multiple genre's of music and various placements as well as a 6 inch lift off the floor. I made several observations....some good....some not to good. I'm not an expert in describing or reviewing equipment but I think I have a pretty good set of ears so here goes my attempt to explain what I noticed and ultimately my questions

Beautiful speaker...the mids and hi's are very clean and detailed without being overpowering. JBL never was accused of having crappy tweeters! The lower bass response very nice...all the way down to its limit...BUT....the mid to upper bass isn't really there. Basslines kind of dissapear until the frequencies get really low and then come on a little strong. I had a piece of electronic music with a sliding bass tone and the speakers hit a freq point on the way down where the sound kind of resonated. The deficiency reduced itself a bit with a boost in power but even after playing with the bass treb settings on the amp...and even through my eq ,I never did get the mid/upper bass lines to come through very well. I am going to run them through my other amp and see how much difference it makes.

As a comparison, I switched to my freshened up RtR two ways and the bass, while not quite hitting the ultra low stuff...(35kHz range) was much better at carrying the basslines and had great mid/upper bass....something they have always been good at.

So...here is my question.......Anyone know anything about that resonance effect or how to work get some mid/upper bass out of these? Re-ap cross overs?? placement tips???

I run my L60Ts with a 12" sub that's crossed over at 100 Hz. That lets the woofers off the hook for the lowest frequencies, and it makes a difference in how they handle the rest of their range. They're on stands as well. These are original JBL stands which lift them 12-14" off the floor. That cleans up a lot of "mud."

The L60T also likes a room that's appropriate for its size and output. It will easily fall victim to room modes and standing waves in too large a room. I have mine in an office that's about 10x13, and they sound great. At home in a 14x16 room, they did not sound great. They tended to be boomy and had little midrange power.

I'm moving that particular office to another location with a 12x21 room, and I won't be taking the L60Ts there. Instead, I'm bringing the L250s out of semi-retirement for there.
    Out.

Thread Information