Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless rear speaker delivery

Wireless rear speaker delivery

I'm peeking into this world right now, frankly with a bit of skepticism, but would appreciate comment from the assembled multitude. I've got a nice 5.1 system that is all hard-wired right now. I had been running my speaker wires to the back, over the carpet, and my wife has been marvelously tolerant. The problem is that we've added a couple of 6 month old Labrador retrievers to the family, who are in that "loony" period where they either chew up or stumble over everything. It has necessitated disconnecting the wires, and while my family isn't missing the wires at all, I miss my rear speakers.

The other day we were in Best Buy doing research on universal remotes. The patient wife is also growing tired of four different remotes, but who doesn't get tired of that many? Anyway, she encountered the Best Buy house brand Rocketfish universal wireless rear speaker transmission system, a steal at $109.

I checked the specs and it runs between 15 and 20 milliseconds of latency doing the a/d-d/a thang and only offers 25 watts of power. I'm betting that wouldn't be a problem for movies (especially since I have my rear bass feeding the subwoofer) but might ruin my entire day on my favorite home theater application, concert videos. I checked my Denon receiver and discovered that it doesn't have an adjustment for rear speaker latency. Rats.

So, what say you. Is there a better solution in that ball park? I'm betting we won't spring for a $600 Kenwood system but might be upshopped a little bit from $109 for lower latency and greater power. This is also a very volatile section of the consumer electronics market with products vanishing about every two seconds. I've done some research and keep finding listings for discontinued products. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

SteveW
    Can you delay the front three by 15-20ms?

My system has that adjustment, but as I understand it, adjusting the fronts will throw them out of sync with the video.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

not sure if this helps but here is a solution to eliminate running rear speaker wires, it is a new product out from Powerlinx . It is just now coming into the market. It allows you to use the wiring in your home rather than RF as long as you stay on one breaker panel box within your house which most houses do. You do need to power the rear speakers with an added amplifier or use powered speakers.
    http://powerlinxaudio.com/rearspeakers.html
    (Disclosure I work with Powerlinx)

Thanks, pioneer! a couple of questions:
    1. Does your unit accept the powered output of the amplifier?
    2. Any idea of a price, including a transmitter, receiver, and with and without amplifier?
    3. What is the wattage rating of your amplifier unit?

Thanks again,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

My 0.02worth

Someone somewhere makes a flat self adhesive ribbon cable that you just stick on and paint over. As an alternative if you lift your carpet and install your speaker wire close in to the gripper strip you will not see it at all.

can you drill access holes and slip it through the ceiling of the room below, or through the attic of the room you are in?
    There really is no substitute for nice heavy gauge wires when you need to run some wattage.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    can you drill access holes and slip it through the ceiling of the room below, or through the attic of the room you are in?
    There really is no substitute for nice heavy gauge wires when you need to run some wattage.
    I've got slab below and a cathedral ceiling above, making access for hiding the wires a bit of a pain. Thanks, though.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

1. Does your unit accept the powered output of the amplifier?
    Yes it transmits the signal through the houses ac wires using a sender and receiving unit, the sending unit plugs into the wall outlet by the surround sound main receiver and the receiving unit plugs into the outlet by the rear speakers. The rear speakers do need to either be powered or have an external amplifier. It uses the house wires to transmit the signal. You can also use the receiving unit to send a signal to other rooms in the house.
    http://powerlinxaudio.com/howdoestheinstallkitwork.html you

2. Any idea of a price, including a transmitter, receiver, and with and without amplifier? MSRP $169.99, I would buy your own amplifier or use an old receiver with a remote to easily set your volume

3. What is the wattage rating of your amplifier unit? any size you want

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Someone somewhere makes a flat self adhesive ribbon cable that you just stick on and paint over. As an alternative if you lift your carpet and install your speaker wire close in to the gripper strip you will not see it at all.

Along with that affordable remedy is to use (cable trunking) screwed to the skirting boards neat and tidy and run the cables though that easy and it won’t bust the bank.

Here it be

just what the doctor ordered.
    http://www.impactacoustics.com/produ...3101&sku=43028
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm loving this 2 mins later

more. Found here , there are loads to choose from.
    http://www.flatwirestore.com/flat-speaker-wire.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is the best of all

It shows you doing the job.

http://www.rd.com/17528/article17528-1.html

JBL 4645
    macaroonie

At what expense is that cable and I’m betting a trip to Richer Sounds to get standard affordable cable and some (cable trunking) from B&Q you could cut the task in half.

Cable section at Richer Sounds
    http://www.richersounds.com/productl...KERESSENTIALS2

Ashley - Dude!
    BobWomack is in Virginia - he's not gonna be shopping at Richer sounds and pay VAT and all of that to have it shipped to the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    macaroonie

At what expense is that cable and I’m betting a trip to Richer Sounds to get standard affordable cable and some (cable trunking) from B&Q you could cut the task in half.

Cable section at Richer Sounds
    http://www.richersounds.com/productl...KERESSENTIALS2
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information