Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the H is going on with JBL's product line?

Question What the H is going on with JBL's product line?

Basically, they have some very nice, but hugely expensive and hard to find hi-end stuff that just seems 'stale' - and on the other hand, there is the Northridge E series stuff, and the cheap in-wall, HTiB, etc. that no one seems to buy or care about?

Are they going to be releasing anything new, or redoing their product line?

It is depressing to see they are not doing much of anything. It seems a company like JBL could do whatever they wanted as far as tapping new markets and keeping some excitement in their products.

At least Klipsch has some wicked stuff that will be released soon. The new THX system (it will be released) and the new flagship Reference speakers (makes the RF-7's look like Bose ) - and the fact the Synergy and Reference lines are great to begin with.

Obsolete

Re: What the H is going on with JBL's product line?

"It is depressing to see they are not doing much of anything."

The JBL Consumer division appears to be quite busy overseas. My impression is that most, if not all, of their resources are targeted there.

You think we will see some of those efforts trickle over here?

It doesn't matter WHERE they spend the money - if they develop a product for Japan, and think they can sell it here, thats more money for them and little or no R&D (less a possible X-over design - don't Japanese like subtle bass and higher highs?)

Obsolete
    "You think we will see some of those efforts trickle over here?"

It could happen if JBL ever decides to rebuild it's U.S. based Dealer network. From what I've heard it's a shadow of it's former self. I don't think much infrastructure is left to handle anything currently. That's my perception, I could be wrong.

The thing with JBL is they are a HUGE company - and they could do stuff to make dealers want to carry their stuff, and I don't know what other companies do, but send 'free' floor models, make sure everything the dealer stocks in on commision (no cost for the dealer other than the space taken up), fancy posters, banners, brocures, etc. You get the idea.

I just hate JBL in its current state.

Obsolete
    "I just hate JBL in its current state."

I hate the entire planet in its current state.
    I greatly preferred it back in One Million Years B.C. when Rachel was running around ... Oh wait! Wrong forum...

Originally posted by Giskard
    "I just hate JBL in its current state."

I hate the entire planet in its current state.
    I greatly preferred it back in One Million Years B.C. when Rachel was running around ... Oh wait! Wrong forum...
    I hate people, so I guess we think the same

theme for a special thread

[i]Originally posted by kenratboy [/B]
    Hi kenratboy, hi Giskard,

a deepgoing thread here....

Maybe we should think about to discuss this point in a special thread, called "future JBL product lines". Can be a zero-cost effective marketing help for JBL.

Also for my opinion there a "hole" in the actual product line between "Northridge" and "K2" series......but where are the buyers?
    The sucess of this forum depends on the vintage systems based on very fine pro speaker systems, which can easily put together like DIY kits for different usage.
    I believe that there also is a market for a 1,000$ to 3,000$ (per) speaker system, like the older studio monitor lines. This only works when long time fabricated pro series speakers find their place.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

its me again

Hi All ,

is there any knowledge of how JBL staff participates from this forum......and with what kind of feedback?

HP

Last edited by Hofmannhp; 03-15-2004 at 04:31 PM.
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by kenratboy
    I hate people, so I guess we think the same
    Well, there is a whole worldwide industry devoted to that kind of thinking so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work

Anyway, this thread went to hell in a hurry

Charley Rummel

JBL is merily a part of Harmon International

I believe JBL is succumbing to brand management tactics, and I think Harmon International's objective is to position JBL in a way such that they minimize competition with other brands within the Harmon domain that are proven profitable in their eyes.

Also, I'm sure Harmon knows that if they ever unload JBL (Like I wish they would), once out from under their control, JBL could prove to be a worthy nemesis to their remaining brands.

Regards,
    Charley

MJC
    Originally posted by Giskard
    "You think we will see some of those efforts trickle over here?"

It could happen if JBL ever decides to rebuild it's U.S. based Dealer network. From what I've heard it's a shadow of it's former self. I don't think much infrastructure is left to handle anything currently. That's my perception, I could be wrong.
    What I've heard from local high-end dealers around here(Reno), and there aren't that many, "screw me once, shame on you-screw me twice, shame on me." So they don't want to deal with JBL.
    In the '60's and '70's JBL was only sold in hifi shops, and then in Circuit City, and now in Best Buy(I like to call it best crap). The small dealer can not compete in price with the likes of Best Buy.
    One of the local dealers used to sell Citation and they would have carried the Synthesis except JBL wanted them to also carry the low end stuff. So they said forget it.
    This situation is like Home Depot and Lowes. They come into town, which causes the good local hardware stores to go out of business because they can't compete in price. BUT, Home Depot and Lowes don't carry alot of the tools and other things I could buy in the local stores.
    Bigger is not always better, when I wanted to buy a HDTV I went to a local store in Carson City, because they had the tv I wanted and would burn it in with a dvd and then calabrate it in their store before they delivered it to the house. You won't get that service from Best Buy. But a lot of people only are willing to look at price.
    Of coarse there is Synthesis part of JBL and as we know, all the new lines that have just come out are there, Performance Series, K2, and the HT setup just shown at the CES. But here in Western Nevada(a no mans land in electronics) the only dealer in the state for those lines is in Las Vegas and they don't have a show room. And from what I've been told, there are no dealers in No. Cal. that have any of those lines on display either. No show rooms means lower over head.
    So it would seem, the only way JBL could rebuild their dealer base is to pull their business from Best Buy and only go with real hifi shops.

MJC:

I am sure they could rebuild their dealer network, but they would probably have to give the dealers some sweet incentives to do so.

Same story with Klipsch?

How is HT Electronics in Sparks? I have not been there yet? Are they going to get pissy if a 19 year old college kid shows up on a quiet weekday to look around? Should I call?

MJC
    Just go in there, I was in HT Electronics a couple of days ago checking out their pre/pros. One of the guys there, John, worked at Entertainment Designs a few years ago.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Harman is leaving a huge hole between the E´s and the TiK´s for everybody else to get into; Seems the S312 and S412 are NLA, and IMO, they are decent home speakers; Maybe they will be pushing Infinity in that segment?.

Thread Information