Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W1500h

W1500h

Hi all,

does anyone know when and if these are going to be available?

I missed out on the Sub1500 sell off and am looking for something to fill in below my 1500AL's in a new TMM effort working as a 2.5 way system.

Re: W1500h

Originally posted by merlin
    Hi all,

I missed out on the Sub1500 sell off and am looking for something to fill in below my 1500AL's in a new TMM effort working as a 2.5 way system.
    Hi Merlin

I don't know when or if the W1500H will ever be released into general sales.

Maybe someone from this forum might sell you a pair of sub1500(s) - if they realize they have extras .

How about 18" woofers ?

<> Earl K

ps - What "TMM" sort of thing are you contemplating ?

Obsolete

Re: W1500h

I will post as soon as they are finished and I receive the thumbs up.

thanks Earl & Giskard.

I am thinking of building a modular unit with my 1500ALs mated to either the 435be or TAD 4003.

Having played with a number of different designs, the one thing I cannot get from the 1500AL is that low down dirty grunt for want of a better expression.

So the thought was to place the new W1500H in a cab below the 1500AL as a "helper" in a 2.5 way array. The W1500H would be powered seperately using my Crown K2 and the Bryston 10b sub for crossover.

I like the idea that the new drive unit seems to offer very low distortion, although I guess I could build with sub1500's to start with if I could lay my hands on some!

....I know something and you not...

What the heck is a W1500H and where did you have the information from that there is such thing?

Hi Merlin,

How high can you hear ?

The TAD 4003 goes higher/flatter than the 435Be - according to all the stats that I've seen.
    Mr. Widget will be the one to ask here - he has variants of both in his possesion.

Additionally, at this point in time , no one has "chimed in" that a simple RC filter on a 435Be will give satisfactory results ( working as the HF boost ).
    ( & really, how hard is it to wireup a 3-4uf capacitor with a 6 - 8ohm resistor. )

Apparently , HF boost for the 435Be is best achieved with active filtering - though here, I may have read the tea-leafs wrong . ( tea-leaves ? )

<. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-14-2004 at 12:15 PM.

Obsolete
    Guido -

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/compan...B5000_news.pdf

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/produc...ons/hb5000.htm

Merlin -

You can get the low down dirty stuff from the 1500AL using bandwidth limiting. But I see your point... maybe Niklas would sell you a pair of his 1500SUB drivers.

That was my thinking Earl. As time marches on, I cannot hear much above 14khz anyway, so the thought of using the 435be and not worrying about any supertweeter had crossed my mind.

The cost differential between the 435be and the 4003 is enough to give it some serious thought. I would be most interested in Mr Widget's findings here.

Thanks Giskard, I may well have a word with Niklas. Whilst I appreciate that the W1500H is not finalised yet, would it be safe to assume it would be pretty much a drop in replacement for the sub1500 at a later stage?

Obsolete
    Probably, but it's price will not be a drop in the bucket

Got it, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile

Hi Merlin,

That was my thinking Earl. As time marches on, I cannot hear much above 14khz anyway, so the thought of using the 435be and not worrying about any supertweeter had crossed my mind.

My hearing more or less brick-walls at @ 14Khz. As such, an Altec 288-8K becomes the perfect driver to deliver up to those frequencies . Typically, around 13 Khz , the 288 ( ferrite versions ) has a builtin 3 db spike that ( when massaged with capacitors ) does a wonderful job of imitating a quality tweeter . The investment for a pair used 288(s) including new diaphragms is a lot less . ( For any budget minded sorts, like me .)

Any ideas on horns ?

<. Earl K

RIP 2009
    That basket itself looks identical to the W15GTI basket:

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am thinking of building a modular unit with my 1500ALs mated to either the 435be or TAD 4003.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

So far the 4003s with the 1500AL and Sub1500 are real stunners. They would benefit from a supertweeter for the final word in audio nirvana.

I will be trying out the 435Be(s) with the 045Be(s) soon. It will be interesting to see if they are capable of doing what the 4003s do.

(see Samtastic's post on her shivers...)

Widget

Hi Earl,

I live in the UK and Altec is something of a rarity here!

I had considered some Vitavox S5's or S3's with a 330 horn. These are available over here reasonably cheaply. They do sound rather closed in however without the addition of the 2405.

As things progressed, I just decided I wanted to make a statement product, hence the TAD 4003 coming into the picture. I am struggling to source the actual horns, but I do have an audiophile buddy with a CNC router so all is not lost!

Hi Merlin

but I do have an audiophile buddy with a CNC router so all is not lost!
    Well that'll be quite helpful - though, again you'll need Mr Widgets' help ( or some facsimile ) in the horn building area.

I live in the UK and Altec is something of a rarity here!
    Oh, I didn't realize that Altec had such little market penetration in Britain . Well,,, it was just a thought ( a cheap thought )

<> Earl K

Thread Information