Thread: any former JBL employee specialized in taking care of vintage JBL products?

any former JBL employee specialized in taking care of vintage JBL products?

I think most of us knows about Bill at GPA. My question is about who is out there taking care of vintage JBL products? Are there someone out there like Bill who is doing everything he can to help the JBL users?

Quote Originally Posted by fallot View Post
    I think most of us knows about Bill at GPA. My question is about who is out there taking care of vintage JBL products? Are there someone out there like Bill who is doing everything he can to help the JBL users?
    But JBL is still in business!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    When did you last check?

Maybe a opportunity for a retiring JBL employee?

I doubt that JBL would let someone use the license/patents that they hold on the vintage products they will no longer produce.

They would be concerned if the venture did not relay good PR back to JBL that it would tarnish the JBL name.

It would be nice if JBL would let someone set up shop and build new (out of production - vintage) drivers according to the old specs.

I would not count on it happening though.

I will continue hoping though!

Cheers!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Works ok here - http://www.jbl.com/
    Where are YOU going for such news??

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    When did you last check?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

There are a number of people/companies where services are available. Post your specific need and perhaps someone on the forum will have a solution.

Best Regards,
    Indy

Works ok here - http://www.jbl.com/
    Where are YOU going for such news??
    Just kidding. That jpg came from their merch site. Been saying that for months.

Yeah, JBL is still in business. But my experience is, that they aren't really interested in giving assistance regarding vintage JBL systems.
    The experts on these systems simply die out in the company as they go into retirement.
    With the importers it isn't different. At least here in Germany.
    That's why I founded a side company to my main business and we are specialized in repairing, restoring, modifying and building replicas of vintage JBL systems. Interest is growing fast!!

Was it that what you meant Fallot?

It seems that even though JBL themselves doesn't provide much support for their older products a determined hobbyist can restore almost anything JBL made using resources like this website. The funny thing is that there are high end audio companies that take pride in supporting discontinued products.

Mike

The advantages of founding a heritage department and maintain vintage, discontinued products cannot be ignored, and certainly are not unknown to the JBL management. I would imagine the obvious demand has been discussed more than once but, so far, unfortunately the blue pencil people have always won through. It looks like they just don't have the balls to risk that and see what happens.

Gary L
    Safe to say I have different thoughts on the matter.

I am "True Blue Altec" simply because there is a Bill@GPA and he keeps us all running.

Quite a different story with Vintage JBL gear. I guess you can get many of the old drivers repaired but to what extent or degree of originality is questionable at best.

As far as some company taking over to repair, rebuild and provide original JBL parts I would say you have a better chance of seeing God!

We all like to think we are a powerful base here in the Vintage world but if the truth be known I would suspect that Bill at GPA is not getting all that rich---Quick keeping us all going.

The chances that JBL, what ever that might be today, will never give up the rights to old and discontinued stuff as Altec has.

Keep in mind that Altec Lansing Technologies, the most recent ALTEC, still offers the A7s at around $11,000 a pair and the drivers are made by Bill at GPA. I kind of doubt they sell many since you can easily buy the real ones at around 1/10th that price +/- and have them rebuilt.

I would certainly venture off my current course toward JBL if the company even gave a darn about us vintage freaks! I can't imagine laying out major dollars for a gorgeous Everest system only to learn 5 or 10 years down the road I have a great boat anchor because the company couldn't care less about what they already sold and took to the bank.

Gary

Thread Information