Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TANNOY'S Are KILLING me!!!!

TANNOY'S Are KILLING me!!!!

I bought what I think are some Tannoy Coaxial speakers today in a Carlson type cab.

MAN they sound EXCELLENT!!

Anyone know these? Anything about them??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

They are the red 15's. And there is a reason why people rave about them, MAN they sound good!!

I would like to try these with tube amps.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

You could try here for tons of info; http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm
    Oh did I mention they're worth a small fortune?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE View Post
    They are the red 15's. And there is a reason why people rave about them, MAN they sound good!!

I would like to try these with tube amps.
    Never heard the Red's but owned a pair of the later Gold's (HPD385A's) in Berkley enclosures ...... yep they are a great monitor, I sold my Gold's to get into JBL but wished I had kept them now. I'm still looking out for a pair of Berkley/Ardens to add to my collection. I even tried the Berkleys Bi Amped with a 24dB Linkwitz/Riley filter with BGW 250D's..... worked a treat! ....... happy listening!
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    You could try here for tons of info; http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm
    Oh did I mention they're worth a small fortune?
    So I am learning. They really sound good!
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Hello Superbee!

Congratulations

Can you post some pictures of the entire speaker/cabs when you get a chance ?
    Just Play Music.

Here ya go...

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hello Superbee!

Congratulations

Can you post some pictures of the entire speaker/cabs when you get a chance ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Thank you much sir! thats a pretty intersting baffle design, do you know anything about that as far as what the advantages of it are?
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    Never heard the Red's but owned a pair of the later Gold's (HPD385A's) in Berkley enclosures ...... yep they are a great monitor, I sold my Gold's to get into JBL but wished I had kept them now. I'm still looking out for a pair of Berkley/Ardens to add to my collection. I even tried the Berkleys Bi Amped with a 24dB Linkwitz/Riley filter with BGW 250D's..... worked a treat! ....... happy listening!
    I was fortunate enough to be a manufacturers rep for both Tannoy and JBL in the late '70s. When I left the company I decided to take some speakers with me, and it came down to choosing between a pair of L-300's and Ardens. I took the Ardens and still have them 30 years later; now at work in my HT setup (below). Silky smooth, with the clarity and immediacy of attack that compression drivers are so good at.

For years I questioned my decision not to take the JBLs, but now I have both, so it all worked out.

The look like Carlson cabs to me

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Thank you much sir! thats a pretty intersting baffle design, do you know anything about that as far as what the advantages of it are?
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak48 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be a manufacturers rep for both Tannoy and JBL in the late '70s. When I left the company I decided to take some speakers with me, and it came down to choosing between a pair of L-300's and Ardens. I took the Ardens and still have them 30 years later; now at work in my HT setup (below). Silky smooth, with the clarity and immediacy of attack that compression drivers are so good at.

For years I questioned my decision not to take the JBLs, but now I have both, so it all worked out.
    I found the compression drivers in the Tannoys less "in your face" unlike the JBL's which can be quite aggressive at times, but at that time in my life I was seeking "that" sound, so out went the Tannoys but as I said I am still on the lookout for a pair of Berkley/Ardens, to make good on my poor decission making from years ago, but preferably the Ardens this time. Although I seem to remember it being common knowledge in the studio world at the time that they did have a reputation of having a slight "problem" around the 3kHz region which from memory was the crossover point, which is why I probably tried them with an active 24dB L/W filter, this was quite a few years ago now ..... from memory around 1982 when I went active but owned them since about 1978 .... AND I stand corrected I originally ran them with Quad 405 amps in passive and active modes and the Linkwitz/Riley 24dB/Octave Phase Linear Filters were new technology at the time and I built these filters from an article in "Wireless World" or the German "Elektor" magazines............. Tweak those Ardens you have look like they are in realy mint condition glad you kept them, as one owners they would be worth a mint.
    Last edited by jblbgw_man; 07-14-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: mistake
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Super

Those Tannoys with the really red dust caps are hugely collectable units.

A coupla grand (+)for the pair with crossovers if you go trollin in the (e) bay.

The only thing that will deter you from getting that kind of value is the lack of the Tannoy emblems that go on the caps.

Usually those emblems fall off into the cabinet.Dig around in those boxs and see if you can find the emblems.It is just a round,flat emblem sporting the Tannoy information.

The cabinets are Carlson cabinets.

Maryland sound used to use exactly those cabinets in groups of 4 for sound reinforcement back in the 70s.

They were called "clams" and weighed a TON when 4-15 speakers were loaded into a full clam.

Great score

Probably should consider giving me your Paragon since you have converted to Tan A nnoying.

Oldmics

Karlson couplers... one of the better resources I've seen put together
    on the subject:

http://home.planet.nl/~ulfman/

OM

No "convert" here. I will always be a hommer for the sweet sound of my Olympus.

Now the Paragon is just too cool to get rid of.

I am going to have to run the Tannoys with some tube gear and give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    Super

Those Tannoys with the really red dust caps are hugely collectable units.

A coupla grand (+)for the pair with crossovers if you go trollin in the (e) bay.

The only thing that will deter you from getting that kind of value is the lack of the Tannoy emblems that go on the caps.

Usually those emblems fall off into the cabinet.Dig around in those boxs and see if you can find the emblems.It is just a round,flat emblem sporting the Tannoy information.

The cabinets are Carlson cabinets.

Maryland sound used to use exactly those cabinets in groups of 4 for sound reinforcement back in the 70s.

They were called "clams" and weighed a TON when 4-15 speakers were loaded into a full clam.

Great score

Probably should consider giving me your Paragon since you have converted to Tan A nnoying.

Oldmics
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Khrist, Karlsons! Kool.

You gotta put a picture up on AA HE, ole Freddy Ireson will swoon.

Thread Information