Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Theatre systems?

4645----I have 2001 on the new DVD and an older one. I might still have the LD around too. Maybe I'll give a listen, being a retired old bugger I've little else to do.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    4645----I have 2001 on the new DVD and an older one. I might still have the LD around too. Maybe I'll give a listen, being a retired old bugger I've little else to do.
    LOL I’m right and you’ve just got mixed up, with the different versions that’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've noticed that on many films I have a choice between Dolby Digital and DTS. Sometimes the Dolby is 2 channel and the DTS is 5.1, sometimes both are 5.1, but it seems pretty consistent that DTS is the more enjoyable sound, and the DD sounds flatter and duller?
    I'm sure there may be exceptions, but that seems to be the case on a great MANY films.

AHA! I was reading wikipedia on Surround sound and found this:
    DTS uses a higher data rate than Dolby Digital, so DTS can achieve higher fidelity.

See this article ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surroun...LFE.29_channel
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I've noticed that on many films I have a choice between Dolby Digital and DTS. Sometimes the Dolby is 2 channel and the DTS is 5.1, sometimes both are 5.1, but it seems pretty consistent that DTS is the more enjoyable sound, and the DD sounds flatter and duller?
    I'm sure there may be exceptions, but that seems to be the case on a great MANY films.
    Heather, I'm totally with you on this and if ANY disk includes both formats, I've ALWAYS preferred the DTS track. The DTS also seems to have a more dynamic subwoofer channel.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Heather, I'm totally with you on this and if ANY disk includes both formats, I've ALWAYS preferred the DTS track. The DTS also seems to have a more dynamic subwoofer channel.
    Yeah, we've had some films lately where the default is Dolby Digital stereo, and you have to go into setup to select either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Yeah, we've had some films lately where the default is Dolby Digital stereo, and you have to go into setup to select either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1
    On my Yamaha RX-Z9 this is selected in the receiver's menu where you set a heirachy for the input format. Seems to me that if the track is there, mine defaults to it due to the way I set up the menu.

On my Yamaha RX-Z9 this is selected in the receiver's menu where you set a heirachy for the input format. Seems to me that if the track is there, mine defaults to it due to the way I set up the menu.
    Okay, on our (considerably lower-priced) HK AVR receiver, it auto-switches modes (DTS/Dolby, etc) depending on what is being output from the DVD player. Its a nice but cheap JVC unit. I think there is a limited amount of info sent across on the optical link. If memory serves, its PCM/stream mode.

But maybe it will be different with the Oppo player thats on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    LOL I’m right and you’ve just got mixed up, with the different versions that’s all.
    Mixed up about what? I ventured no opinons on 2001, you did. Now I'm mixed up? What in the Sam Hill.......

Okay, on our (considerably lower-priced) HK AVR receiver, it auto-switches modes (DTS/Dolby, etc) depending on what is being output from the DVD player. Its a nice but cheap JVC unit. I think there is a limited amount of info sent across on the optical link. If memory serves, its PCM/stream mode.

But maybe it will be different with the Oppo player thats on the way.

Ahhh! Thought from your signiture, I thought that you were using a Yamaha CR2040 for HT.

What in the Sam Hill.......
    Probably just a language barrier issue!

Ahhh! Thought from your signature, I thought that you were using a Yamaha CR2040 for HT.
    Nah, the Yamaha CR-2040 is a non-remote, 1976 era high power stereo receiver - we use that for music and radio upstairs. (currently tied to an HK 5 disc changer)

The Cinema system downstairs is an HK 435 receiver - tho I feed LF & RF preamp outs into the Ashly for the biamped 4341s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Mixed up about what? I ventured no opinons on 2001, you did. Now I'm mixed up? What in the Sam Hill.......
    LOL I’m wicked aren’t I. It’s no wind up, listen to one partially scene then play the other version and so and note the differences. By the way, who in hell, Sam Hill?

Thread Information