Thread: Saga of pair of E-140's that measure off!

Saga of pair of E-140's that measure off!

I finally had the time to measure the (2) E-140's that came with a pair of Cabaret 4691B's. I hooked up the WT2 and here is what I came up with. Both were measured in the same environment:

Revc 4.9 ohms 5.2 ohms
    fs 31.5hz 29.0hz
    Qes .21 .15
    Qms 2.3 4.4
    Qts .19 .14
    Zmax 58 ohms 156 ohms
    Le .92mh 1.26mh

It seems that the left column driver is pretty close to original spec while the right column seems to be pretty far off to me.

I thought I would use these for a project, but it seems to me with only one measuring worth a sh*t that they might be better used as cores for 2235 hybrids.

If I had to guess, one of them was reconed and the other one much older(and maybe had too much beer poured on it. It even sounded different when the cone was tapped with my fingers prior to measuring them( I do that sometimes to give me a quick evaluation of a drivers condition).

I did not have a cabinet handy for measuring Vas and Eff, so I'm sure they would be off also.

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you guys think I should do here??? Are these too far off from each other to be capable of putting out a matched sound??????

I would not have bothered with these had I known in the first place the condition of these drivers.

I wanted to use these for my Edgar midbass horns when Bruce gets them built and delivered to me in the near future. This kind of makes the E-130 framed 2225 recones a candidate for the Edgarhorns.

All comments welcome, I'm bummed.

Regards, Ron

Ron, That is a Bummer. Do you think the person you got them from knew they were that far off? Maybe if you contact the person and casually mention the differences, you give them a "Chance" to make it right. If they just blow it off, like it's no big thing, you OWE them one, or you could wait for "Karma" to level it out. Like you said, "I would not have bothered with these had I known in the first place the condition of these drivers." Contact the person and see what's up.

That's not the issue

It was bought off a friend who had no knowledge of the problem, and I would not hold him accountable for this issue.

I am curious if I might be better off getting recones for 2234's or something like that with these cores and how much it might run me to get it done!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    I am curious if I might be better off getting recones for 2234's or something like that with these cores and how much it might run me to get it done!

Ron
    $174+ tax/shipping each at OCS. I need to send in three (or four as soon as I get a fourth). If you want to part with the bad one, I'll take it for $30+ shipping. I know it's not much, but people recognize the expense to recone and $20-$30 seems to be going ebay rate for frames.

E140-8 here:

Revc = 6.1106
    Fs= 29.9117
    Qes = 0.1928
    Qms = 5.9430
    Qts = 0.1868
    Zmax = 194.4241
    Le = 1.3862

I should measure several more and start a spreadsheet, probably.

Who else has WT2 and some E140's? Let's see YOUR results....

Thanks for the specs on yours Zilch!

I am curious of the Zmax and Le on my good one. Everything else matches your driver specwise.

I am already arranging for recone to 2235H hybrid, might be a month or two before I get them back, but I will post WT2 specs on the hybrids when I get them back.

Fortunately I still have the E-130/2225 hybrids to use in my Edgar midbass horns so I will get to experience the same happiness that others with 2235's have proclaimed on this forum!

The WT2 is definitely worth the cost. I may not be as precise as those with labratory level testing gear, but the WT2 is close enough for my purposes.

Ron

Real recone - no Franken-woofer on this one!

I have decided to go with recone to E-130 w/2235 paper dustcap.

After I receive them back from reconer I will run WT2 on the new drivers and will do so again after break-in so some specs will be posted.

Got to like that 105db/watt sensitivity!

Ron

Thread Information