Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Audio System (for the time being...)

My Audio System (for the time being...)

Hi Friends,

I would like to present here my Audio System.

My loudspeakers consists, each one, for:

- 12" JBL-D123 speaker, for the mid-bass/bass, installed in a sealed cabinet. I opted for use the JBL D-123 because I needed, in my boxes of horns, of a speaker of high sensitivity to accompany the high sensitivity from the mid and treble drivers, and at the same time I had an excellent response of mid-bass/bass.

- JBL 2426J compression driver coupled to a horn of aluminium cast as a model similar to that used in the box JBL Paragon, for the midrange.
    - Selenium D220Ti compression driver coupled to a horn injection molded reinforced high-density solid polyurethane Selenium HM11-25, used for the treble.

In the black box located behind driver of treble, are the responsible passive components for the alignment and interlacement between the drivers/speaker meet.

My system is bi-amplified.

The sources (CDTransport Theta Pearl/DAC Theta Chroma and turntable Thorens TD-126 MKII/SME-3009R/Ortofon MC-20 Super MKII/Former Audio Note AN-S4II) are connected to a DIY tubes pre-amplifier, which in turn sends the signal to an active DIY 2 way crossover .

This crossover separates bass and subbass, (and also adjust its cutting and intensity using 2 pots) and send this signal to a Sony TAN-5550 solid state power that feeds a sealed subwoofer Dahlquist DQ-1w, 12". The subwoofer Dahlquist it is over there in the back from room, on photo where appears only the loudspeaker.

The other part of the crossover frequencies to send a DIY pure triode power amplifier made especially by myself in order to drive this kind of speakers. All technical characteristics of this power, mainly damping, were carefully designed and prepared to exploit the maximum yield of these compression drivers/horns-speaker.

The final result is a very clean sound, much balanced tone, very dynamic and with highest resolution.

Victório Benatti
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hello, Victorio,

That's a very interesting and nice system you have there, Sir! Looks great, and I'll get it sounds great, too. How is the bass response from those D123's? Also, how rare is it to have such a nice stereo system down in Brazil? Are there quite a few audiophiles down that way, such as yourself? Very nice to see how you put it all together, and thanks for sharing it with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I just re-read your post, and see that you are using a subwoofer! Sorry, I missed that, first time around.
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hello Doc,

The bass and the mid-bass response from those D123's are the best that I listen until today. Never I listen in any system, either of that price will be, response so articulated, smooth and rigid equal to that of the D123's.

It is essential that "emendation and interlacement" between the D123 and drivers/sub they are perfect so that they all show to its enormous potential and qualities, not only in bass/mid-bass as well as in mid and mid-hi, therefore it frequency response is 30-15,000 hz.

Victório Benatti

Guess I'd better rescue my D123s from the closet. I was gonna use them for a guitar amp after hearing Harvey praise them for that application. Before this i figured they were only a compromise speaker designed to fit in an in-wall installation between the studs with a minimal depth requirement. I still think of them that way, but at least someone has a high opinion of them.

Nice work!

Hello,
    I substituted the aluminum horn for wood horn, keeping same drivers.
    The sound is more "smooth", without however losing "punch".
    Victório Benatti

Quote Originally Posted by Benatti View Post
    Hello,
    I substituted the aluminum horn for wood horn, keeping same drivers.
    The sound is more "smooth", without however losing "punch".
    Victório Benatti
    awesome work speakers look soooooooooooooo good I got a hard on

Hello,
    I changed of place the wood horns. Now, the horn of medium is on of the box and the horn of treble is enters of medium and the D123.
    The disposal of the horns now is equal the one that is used in the Westlake speakers. They have reason in mounting them of that skill, because thus the voices sound much more "smooths" (not granulate) and natural.
    Victório Benatti

Hello,
    I changed of place the wood horns. Now, the horn of medium is on of the box and the horn of treble is enters of medium and the D123.
    The disposal of the horns now is equal the one that is used in the Westlake speakers. They have reason in mounting them of that skill, because thus the voices sound much more "smooths" (not granulate) and natural.
    Victório Benatti
    Victório,

I am impressed with your system.

Further, your use of a D123 with a sub is a really nice choice. I would agree the D123 is very good when it is not forced to go super low. If I were to guess, I'd guess you chose a crossover from DQ-1W to D123 at around 100 Hz, D123 to 2426J at around 1,200 Hz and around 3K to 5K Hz from 2426J to D220Ti. Would you care to confirm?

The next system I build, I intend to use a 2245H (sub), 2204H midbass and from there I am not quite sure.. 2450/375 to D220Ti perhaps.. In any case, your ingenuity has caused me to reconsider the use of the 2204H. Perhaps, a D123 might be as good or better choice.

Another question that comes to mind is how you fabricated the wooden horns?

In any case, you have a very nice system.

Very nice, Benati.

Please tell us about the green and red wall fabrics.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    If I were to guess, I'd guess you chose a crossover from DQ-1W to D123 at around 100 Hz, D123 to 2426J at around 1,200 Hz and around 3K to 5K Hz from 2426J to D220Ti. Would you care to confirm?
    Another question that comes to mind is how you fabricated the wooden horns?
    Cosmos,

DQ1w to D123 around 50~100 hz (variable cut and intensity)
    D123 to 2426J around 2000 hz
    2426J to D220Ti around 10000 hz.

Wooden horns are fabricated with MDF, and design similar to Westlake wooden horns.

Victório Benatti

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Please tell us about the green and red wall fabrics.
    Titanium Dome,

Is rubber EVA (Etil-Vinil-Acetate) with 10 mm thick.

Victório Benatti

Cosmos,

DQ1w to D123 around 50~100 hz (variable cut and intensity)
    D123 to 2426J around 2000 hz
    2426J to D220Ti around 10000 hz.

Wooden horns are fabricated with MDF, and design similar to Westlake wooden horns.

Victório Benatti
    Victório,

Thank you for sharing.

The more I look at your system, the more I'd love to hear it!

Very nice.

New LeCleac'h (JMMLC) horns

Hi,

It makes some 2 days that I am listening to music with the new horns.

One word: sensational!

The differences between them and the radial wood horns (and even the aluminum) are all in the region between the middle and treble. These horns show the details with more clarity, presence and transients. The other, raised the instruments blast playing higher than those of percussion. These new leaves everything evenly, and with much wealth of details.
    Voices are impeccable. Smoother than they were before.

The sound stage is also wider. Really wonderful !!!

James Benatti Lansing

Thread Information