Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What ever happened to....

  1. #1
    Senior Member RIGGED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    176

    What ever happened to....

    Tom Brennan? Is the dude still above dirt? I miss reading his script.






    RIGGED

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Coast California
    Posts
    9,019
    He still expresses himself over on AVS Forums.
    Out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by RIGGED View Post
    Tom Brennan? Is the dude still above dirt? I miss reading his script.






    RIGGED

    I still lurk once in a while. Since getting Altec 19s I've pretty much lost much interest in the hobbyist end of things and I'm more inclined to just relaxing and listening than thinking about and tinkering with the gear.

    Thanks for the thought.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RIGGED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    176
    Good to know you're still with the online community-keep on postin.




    RIGGED

  5. #5
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I still lurk once in a while. Since getting Altec 19s I've pretty much lost much interest in the hobbyist end of things and I'm more inclined to just relaxing and listening than thinking about and tinkering with the gear.

    Thanks for the thought.
    Good on you mate, that’s the way to handle the situation just sit-back and relax with cool ice-cold Coca-Cola and some sounds.

  6. #6
    Senior Member shaansloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    327

    Tom's 19's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I still lurk once in a while. Since getting Altec 19s I've pretty much lost much interest in the hobbyist end of things and I'm more inclined to just relaxing and listening than thinking about and tinkering with the gear.

    Thanks for the thought.
    Hey Tom, for me the novice....I am wondering, are the 19's the ones to have....???

    I like to listen to classical, 50-60's jazz, and 70-80's rock music(rather loudly)......I am currently driving with a Yamaha RX-V870 but am convinced I need to spend some $$$$ to get me a really good amp to drive some really good speakers....I currently have a set of Carmels....considering upping these as well....

    Can you make a reccomendation about an amp-speaker combination for my listening habits?

    Any of you other seniors....please do chime in....!

    thanks,
    Shaan

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Hey Tom, for me the novice....I am wondering, are the 19's the ones to have....???

    I like to listen to classical, 50-60's jazz, and 70-80's rock music(rather loudly)......I am currently driving with a Yamaha RX-V870 but am convinced I need to spend some $$$$ to get me a really good amp to drive some really good speakers....I currently have a set of Carmels....considering upping these as well....

    Can you make a reccomendation about an amp-speaker combination for my listening habits?

    Any of you other seniors....please do chime in....!

    thanks,
    Shaan
    IMO the 19 is the best one-box, turnkey speaker I know. I repeat, IMO.

    I run my 19s in my HT with a Denon HT receiver; it's available and does the job intended. It sounds good.

    I have a set of Heathkit AS-21s which are mechanically identical to Carmels. Those I run with a Jolida tube integrated amp, it sounds very nice and the 12wpc or so available gives excellent dynamics and volume in a rather large room.

    My view is that you needn't spend alot of dough on electronics if you have good speakers. I think excellent sounding electronics are available at quite reasonable prices. For instance I think those Panasonic chip-amp receivers sound very good and I know fellas that have thrown over "high end" electonics like Audio-Note, CJ, Berning and Monarchy to use them.

    I have four hi-fis going, all with Altec speakers. Besides those mentioned one is powered by a early 1960s Fisher tube receiver and another is bi-amped with the amps being a QSC SS prosound amp on the woofers and a Teac Tri-Path chip-amp powering the treble.

    Regards

  8. #8
    Senior Member Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, CA
    Posts
    524
    Is that a GPS unit on the top shelf of the rolling rack? The rack gets lost alot?
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L222,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408
    have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

  9. #9
    Senior Member RIGGED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    176
    Tom,


    Why do speaker makers use MDF instead of "real" wood? Sheer cost perhaps?
    I sold a pair of EV 15" PA speakers and the dude who bought them wanted a quick look inside, so he removed the woofers. Much to my surprise, what I thought was solid 3/4 inch plywood, turned out to be something else.


    RIGGED

  10. #10
    Senior Member jblsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    2500 m above sea level
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by RIGGED View Post
    Tom,


    Why do speaker makers use MDF instead of "real" wood? Sheer cost perhaps?
    I sold a pair of EV 15" PA speakers and the dude who bought them wanted a quick look inside, so he removed the woofers. Much to my surprise, what I thought was solid 3/4 inch plywood, turned out to be something else.


    RIGGED
    MDF is more dense than wood. Totally inert, and yes, it is cheaper. But go buy some 4x8 rolls of your favorite hardwood veneer to cover the MDF and the cost of materials will at least triple.
    When I built 3 L212 boxes, using 5/8" MDF the cost was less that $5/ea. But the cost of the 4x8 ash veneer was about $60 or more.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What happened?
    By pangea in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
  2. what JBL significant event happened today's date in history?
    By louped garouv in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 10:14 AM
  3. What has happened here ????
    By LE15-Thumper in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
  4. What Happened?!
    By Mr. Widget in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •