Thread: What ever happened to....

What ever happened to....

Tom Brennan? Is the dude still above dirt? I miss reading his script.

RIGGED

He still expresses himself over on AVS Forums.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by RIGGED View Post
    Tom Brennan? Is the dude still above dirt? I miss reading his script.

RIGGED

I still lurk once in a while. Since getting Altec 19s I've pretty much lost much interest in the hobbyist end of things and I'm more inclined to just relaxing and listening than thinking about and tinkering with the gear.

Thanks for the thought.

Good to know you're still with the online community-keep on postin.

RIGGED

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I still lurk once in a while. Since getting Altec 19s I've pretty much lost much interest in the hobbyist end of things and I'm more inclined to just relaxing and listening than thinking about and tinkering with the gear.

Thanks for the thought.
    Good on you mate, that’s the way to handle the situation just sit-back and relax with cool ice-cold Coca-Cola and some sounds.

Tom's 19's

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post

Thanks for the thought.
    Hey Tom, for me the novice....I am wondering, are the 19's the ones to have....???

I like to listen to classical, 50-60's jazz, and 70-80's rock music(rather loudly)......I am currently driving with a Yamaha RX-V870 but am convinced I need to spend some $$$$ to get me a really good amp to drive some really good speakers....I currently have a set of Carmels....considering upping these as well....

Can you make a reccomendation about an amp-speaker combination for my listening habits?

Any of you other seniors....please do chime in....!

thanks,
    Shaan

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Hey Tom, for me the novice....I am wondering, are the 19's the ones to have....???

I like to listen to classical, 50-60's jazz, and 70-80's rock music(rather loudly)......I am currently driving with a Yamaha RX-V870 but am convinced I need to spend some $$$$ to get me a really good amp to drive some really good speakers....I currently have a set of Carmels....considering upping these as well....

Can you make a reccomendation about an amp-speaker combination for my listening habits?

Any of you other seniors....please do chime in....!

thanks,
    Shaan
    IMO the 19 is the best one-box, turnkey speaker I know. I repeat, IMO.

I run my 19s in my HT with a Denon HT receiver; it's available and does the job intended. It sounds good.

I have a set of Heathkit AS-21s which are mechanically identical to Carmels. Those I run with a Jolida tube integrated amp, it sounds very nice and the 12wpc or so available gives excellent dynamics and volume in a rather large room.

My view is that you needn't spend alot of dough on electronics if you have good speakers. I think excellent sounding electronics are available at quite reasonable prices. For instance I think those Panasonic chip-amp receivers sound very good and I know fellas that have thrown over "high end" electonics like Audio-Note, CJ, Berning and Monarchy to use them.

I have four hi-fis going, all with Altec speakers. Besides those mentioned one is powered by a early 1960s Fisher tube receiver and another is bi-amped with the amps being a QSC SS prosound amp on the woofers and a Teac Tri-Path chip-amp powering the treble.

Regards

Is that a GPS unit on the top shelf of the rolling rack? The rack gets lost alot?
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Tom,

Why do speaker makers use MDF instead of "real" wood? Sheer cost perhaps?
    I sold a pair of EV 15" PA speakers and the dude who bought them wanted a quick look inside, so he removed the woofers. Much to my surprise, what I thought was solid 3/4 inch plywood, turned out to be something else.

RIGGED

Quote Originally Posted by RIGGED View Post
    Tom,

Why do speaker makers use MDF instead of "real" wood? Sheer cost perhaps?
    I sold a pair of EV 15" PA speakers and the dude who bought them wanted a quick look inside, so he removed the woofers. Much to my surprise, what I thought was solid 3/4 inch plywood, turned out to be something else.

RIGGED
    MDF is more dense than wood. Totally inert, and yes, it is cheaper. But go buy some 4x8 rolls of your favorite hardwood veneer to cover the MDF and the cost of materials will at least triple.
    When I built 3 L212 boxes, using 5/8" MDF the cost was less that $5/ea. But the cost of the 4x8 ash veneer was about $60 or more.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information