Thread: Analog recording superiority?

Analog recording superiority?

Last week (or so) there was biography regarding Frank Zappa on TV.

A lot of interviews with former band members, his wife, sons and daughter.

Dweezil, his son, explained that some of the mixing regarding voice changing is not possible to do with modern digital recording.

Is it so?

I also noticed that in the studio (Up and Going Today) there was as far as I could see, only JBL speakers. Small, like the 4311 and big like the 4343's.

Anybody know more about this?

They also let us get a short look at FZ's archive, witch is huge, with recordings, ideas, etc. not available yet.

All the stuff he made he managed to have the rights to use for the future

What a man!

pentictonklaus
    I also noticed that in the studio (Up and Going Today) there was as far as I could see, only JBL speakers. Small, like the 4311 and big like the 4343's.

Anybody know more about this?

from this link :http://mixonline.com/recording/busin...mothers_sound/

The original monitoring included a soffited LCR array of three-way Westlake-style JBL monitors with two additional rear speakers - Zappa anticipated mixing film soundtracks, and quad was not yet officially dead. Near-field monitors included JBL 4311s and Auratones. Often frustrated by commercial studios' foldback systems, Zappa requested a sophisticated headphone monitoring system. "We had a whole little thing called a "self-mix matrix," recalls Gray. "Basically, you could send any channel to this routing matrix and each individual out in the room could get four channels that they could mix themselves in headphones. I think we had eight or maybe 10 positions.

Klaus

pentictonklaus
    (A lot of interviews with former band members, his wife, sons and daughter.
    Dweezil, his son, explained that some of the mixing regarding voice changing is not possible to do with modern digital recording.
    Is it so?
    Anybody know more about this?)

This question bugs me big time. I am still trying to understand the limitations of digital recording. Digital is the way of the future and D.Z. knows it probably better then I do. What did the man mean by saying this?

I will discuss this question with Stu Goldberg ( friend and neighbor ) tonight. Stu is doing a lot of digital recordings in his studio for the film industry, his own music and other musicians. Maybe he has some explanation of what this might have been supposed to mean.

Will let you know what he thinks.

There are speed change effects that were an accidentally discovered byproduct of transport command response and speed control "ballistics" that really can't be duplicated in the digital world. Thumb-to-reel-flange speed control was practiced by some, for instance. I had effects I created with a combination of the speed control and pinching the tape flanges as well as keeping the tape lifters in during transition from play to fast wind. All were byproducts of the mechanics of the tape transport.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Very interesting information. If more is coming up, please share it.

Thanks

Zappa article...great read

It's interesting to note that the limited technology of years ago yielded so much experimentation and innovation. From Sir George Martin to King Crimson to Todd Rundgren to Queen, the list goes on. Musicians and Producers not only tried to get the most out of their equipment, they wanted the most out of the 'art' of music and sound.

Today the skies the limit with digital technology and yet the industry and musical product is so stale.
    How can that be? How is it that the world is jumping into High Def, yet audio celebrates the Mp3 and keeps going down? Audio started the revolution with borrowed technology from NASA and created the first digital PCM machines. Audio has always lead the way, and paved the road for film in the computer world.

Much of it has to do with marketing. Look at the Japanese ,they save up to buy HI FI speakers. The rest of the world seem to be out of touch with
    sound quality.It does not mean that Film studio or Music companies are not HI FI conscientious.
    The quality is there. The quantity to Little.

JBL Japan http://www.jbl.com/home/products/cat...P&Region=JAPAN

Perhaps this is representative of a shift from an aural to a visual emphasis in entertainment. Think of all the advances in aural technology between 1950 and 1980 and conversely the advances in visual technology between 1980 and today. Today's aural advances are best experienced in a dolby surround sound environment as an adjunct to the 50 inch Hi Def plasma screen where the big thing in my day was listening to the stereo effects of a Whole Lotta Love on head phones, with a fluorescent Zonk poster on the wall, lol.

When I saw the recent Iron Man movie the visual effects were seamless. I don't even remember the sound track at all except for Black Sabbaths Iron Man!

When was the last really outstanding movie sound track put out?

Lar

Moulin Rouge! is a 2001 musical film directed by Baz Luhrmann, based largely on the Giuseppe Verdi opera, "La Traviata."

If you havent seen it on a large screen in a THX aproved cinema. The sound and it's complex mix is outstanding.

Films in the 70's like Sting , Jonathan seagull ,Cabaret Annie 1982 sounded best on Altec A-4 for large cinemas and A-5 for smaller venues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    Moulin Rouge! is a 2001 musical film directed by Baz Luhrmann, based largely on the Giuseppe Verdi opera, "La Traviata."

If you havent seen it on a large screen in a THX aproved cinema. The sound and it's complex mix is outstanding.

Films in the 70's like Sting , Jonathan seagull ,Cabaret Annie 1982 sounded best on Altec A-4 for large cinemas and A-5 for smaller venues.
    Have to admit to missing that one, lived in small towns the last 15 years. Will have to see if I can pick up the sound-track.

I have to admit I've had some OK aural experiences at the IMAX. Hated the smoke machine that they used before the laser show though, gag. Anyone been to the West Edmonton Mall and seen the fire breathing Dragon they have in the lobby of the Cineplex? Scared the crap out of the ol' lady, lol! She hates fire.

Lar

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    When was the last really outstanding movie sound track put out? Lar
    If you are referring to the score, there are great ones coming out all the time. I thought we'd had it after the recent demise of a bunch of the great composers, but it sure seems like some of the younger ones are stepping up to the plate.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    Much of it has to do with marketing. Look at the Japanese ,they save up to buy HI FI speakers. ...........
    I just want to add that a lot of Japanese audio specialty stores offer consumer credit loans to would be buyers of high-end gear, too. I heard the other day that an elderly wife of a doctor who'd passed away found out, much to her dsmay, that much of her beloved husband's audio, including a Thorens TD2030, were purchased on loan.

I would say that the advances in electronics over the last decade or two have been significant.

Unfortunately, for transducers (e.g., speakers) the trend has definately been to produce, market and sell junk! There are no real choices in quality speakers sold in stores today.

Personnaly, I have purchased some vintage systems recently and have some new JBL professional 15s and horns, X-overs that I have mounted in cabs that were custom built. These COOK but are not availible to the average consumer.

I suppose the spiriling downfall of speaker components is due in part to the designs of home theaters which require eight speakers! In retrospect; this is a dumb idea.

Thread Information