Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL B380 Sub - looking for comments..

JBL B380 Sub - looking for comments..

I see one of these on ebay, but I know nothing about them.

Wondering if it would be a good addition as a sub to my folks system which is nice stuff, but is limited by having only two 6" drivers in each cabinet.

My folks miss the 12" sound

Cheers and thank you

Mark

JBL B380 Sub

Yes, it would work fine even with small speakers. I used one with a pair of control 1 monitors and it worked fine with the crossover level set way back. However, this sub requires the BX63 crossover to work properly.
    I don't see it included with the add in ebay but I would still go for it!!

I use a B380 clone for my HT sub with a BX-63A. It works fine for me. Depends how loud and how big the room is. An average sized room it should be OK.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Yes, it would work fine even with small speakers. I used one with a pair of control 1 monitors and it worked fine with the crossover level set way back. However, this sub requires the BX63 crossover to work properly.
    I don't see it included with the add in ebay but I would still go for it!!
    Thank you for that, Paul.

I would have missed it completely.

Are the BX63's hard to come by?

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chilledspode View Post
    I see one of these on ebay, but I know nothing about them.

Wondering if it would be a good addition as a sub to my folks system which is nice stuff, but is limited by having only two 6" drivers in each cabinet.

My folks miss the 12" sound

Cheers and thank you

Mark
    I got a B380 a few years back, but don't have the BX63 EQ/Adapter or the later improved BX63A unit. They are kind of rare these days and can command well over $100 on ebay without a power supply wallwart and in unknown condition.

That said, I do like mine. If you have a receiver that can sum and feed a subwoofer channel (My HK AVR 345 receiver, or the JVC receiver I had before can), you feed that sub channel out to a mono amp that can drive your B380. Yes, you'll need a powerful amp to run your sub properly.

I run mine with an old HK Citation 22 amp, previously in bridged mode (well over 500w peak) to feed just the B380, and currently I feed that sub channel to both L & R inputs of the Citation in conventional stereo mode to feed 2 subs.

Its a real nice sub, even without the BX63
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks Heather

I am so out of my league on this stuff....

As I understand things now, I am going to need a x-over and a big amp, on top of the sub to complete this upgrade. The amp I think I could manage with subwoof's help but the x-over issue intimidates me..

I need to get better informed before I jump into this sub game.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Heather

I need to get better informed before I jump into this sub game.

Cheers

Mark
    There are a couple of approaches to doing a sub.

The simplest way to start down that path maybe to get one of those lower priced JBL self-powered subs that you loop your existing amp's left and right speaker feed through, it has a crossover/combiner that pulls the lows off and feed the internal "plate" amp - its as painless as you can get, and you have a low parts count to do it that way.

I see that kind of thing of Craigslist for $100-150 pretty often.

If you want to get one new ...
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/cat...=US&Region=USA
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hi Heather,

Most of the text descriptions of those 'package' subs all suggest they are intended for HT, does this in any way imply they may not be appropriate for a stereo/audio system?

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Mark

Hi Heather,

Most of the text descriptions of those 'package' subs all suggest they are intended for HT, does this in any way imply they may not be appropriate for a stereo/audio system?

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Mark
    There are some subs that are more musical than others, but I don't think many of the "plug and play" subs were designed primarily for music.
    Most of the market for add in gear like that is home theatre/home AV systems. Frankly, I just don't think most companies are aiming for high-end stereo fans - I mean, thats not the majority who's buying audio gear any more - most buyers are building home entertainment systems - movies and multichannel TV and such. High end music fans are a pretty small market segment.

That said - I think if you want to get your feet in the water and try out a subwoofer, getting one of the smaller JBL systems isn't a bad way to go.
    You can even get a used one for not too much money and try it out, make up your own mind with your music (and movies) and see how it works in your home.

You may decide you prefer having larger woofers in your main speaker and not having a subwoofer. But this way you can try it out without a huge outlay of cash.
    I have 15s in my main L & R speakers, so I don't run my sub when I'm playing stereo music - but some folks do.

Smile Wow, did I need to write this much?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There are some subs that are more musical than others, but I don't think many of the "plug and play" subs were designed primarily for music.

That said - I think if you want to get your feet in the water and try out a subwoofer, getting one of the smaller JBL systems isn't a bad way to go.
    You can even get a used one for not too much money and try it out, make up your own mind with your music (and movies) and see how it works in your home.

I have 15s in my main L & R speakers, so I don't run my sub when I'm playing stereo music - but some folks do.
    As most here know, I've got a ton of HT systems, MC systems, and stereo systems.

Our JBL Performance Series HT is a 7.1 set up supported by four JBL subs as LFE only (two HTPS400, two PS1400), one at the midpoint of each wall. Music sounds pretty convincing on this system as well, but clearly it's optimized for the cinematic experience.

There's also a Performance Series 5.1 multichannel (MC) music system upstairs that runs PS1400/PT800 stacks full range AND one corner-loaded HTPS400 sub on LFE. On multichannel music, the HTPS400 makes a world of difference, and the set up provides one of the finest musical experiences I've ever had.

Down in the music room there's a 5.1 SVA Series MC system with big SVA2100s, SVA Center, and SVA1800s, which puts out quite a bit of bass above 35Hz. However, it's augmented with two Fosgate Audionics THX400 subs (w/ JBL LE14H-1 Drivers) placed at the midpoint of the sidewalls to provide the 20–35Hz oomph. It is a rock and roll dream, and also very nice for jazz, trance, and dance. Plus there's a little karaoke going on down there.

In one of my offices, the JBL 4430s are supplemented by a corner-loaded B380 and BX63A. It adds just that little bit of the solid deep punch that I like, without being overbearing (or freaking out my employees).

Finally to close on Heather's point, I also have a little stereo set up in the music room with two Performance Series PT800s supported by a center-placed L8400P sub from the Studio L Series. It's quite the musical set up, easily beating the XPL200 and L7 pairs that also can be switched down there.

The point of all this is to demonstrate that subs can be used in a variety of set ups to great effect, as long as they're carefully placed, matched, and calibrated to integrate into the system. The L8400P is probably as low as I'd go in the JBL line, but the one I got was a refurb at a ridiculous price and the finish matched the fake cherry on the PT800s very well.

The B380 is a bit of a beast size-wise, and placement can be awkward, but if it's hooked up right it's a very good, subtle addition. AN L8400P would be much easier to handle, and you wouldn't need another amp. Since it's a sealed enclosure, it'll produce more bass than you expect, but it's still not going to go as low as the ported B380.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 07-03-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: word choice
    Out.

Heather & TDome:

I think the packaged sub approach is a wise entry point - I 'll leave that B380 on fleabay for someone with more resources/capability.

Thank you both for sharing your experience.

Cheers

Mark

RIP 2009
    Hi Mark. Those L8400P powered subs that Ti Dome mentioned are almost always on sale from Harman Audio direct on eBay. They're "refurbs", but I picked up a pair and can find nothing to differentiate them from new. I've even wondered if they actually are new, and JBL/Harman is just listing them as refurbed for eBay, since I can't believe JBL has that many refurbs, (easily over 100 of them just in the last few months).

They're available in either cherry or black ash finish, have a built-in 600 watt amp plus adjustable low-pass filter/crossover, and come with everything originally supplied - like I said, I can't tell them from new.

JBL/Harman direct has new ones listed at their site at $999, while the "refurbs" are generally going for under $300 on eBay: http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...p=2%26fsoo%3D2

They sound pretty good right out of the box, but I've also dialed them in with external EQ. They're a great deal for the money!

John

John, Ya ole dog!

It pleases me greatly to see you are still watching my back

I continue to enjoy, immensely, your old 4315's. Mark Knopler's new CD Kill to get Crimson is a real treat on them..

A current ebay search comes up with zero L8400P's so I assume they come on in waves....

How do the 12" subs L8400P/ES250P/HTPS400 compare against eachother?

Take care

Mark

John, Ya ole dog!

It pleases me greatly to see you are still watching my back

I continue to enjoy, immensely, your old 4315's. Mark Knopler's new CD Kill to get Crimson is a real treat on them..

A current ebay search comes up with zero L8400P's so I assume they come on in waves....

How do the 12" subs L8400P/ES250P/HTPS400 compare against eachother?

Take care

Mark

Post Harman ebay Store

Mark

Check it out:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Harman...519532QQsofpZ0
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information