Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate JBL Home Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    ...but you can shoehorn a lot of gear into a small space if you are clever.

You can pack a small space with gear if you are a museum... not if you really want to use it.

If you have that much cash to spend I would go out and...
    If you are talking Ultimate, you can blow 50 grand on the carpet and drapes.

On the other hand, with a great deal of care and some restraint, you can have a very fine home theater for $50K. I don't think it would include any gear with the triple tuning fork logo though.

Widget

I got the distinct impression that he wanted to know about amps and speakers not carpet and drapes.

And whats wrong with gear with the triple tuning fork logo on it?

Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    My old company would often partner with Walters-Storyk on room designs (especially for the record company's listening rooms)- they're a great resource.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    Hey, that's great to know. I hope we can chat some time!
    Sure, hit me with a PM some time. I wasn't on the commercial team very often, so didn't use W-S on many of my projects, but really did respect the work they did. I managed our smaller residential projects, in the $100,000 - $250,000 range usually. Had my hand in lots of others here & there, though.

je

Quote Originally Posted by ajmernone View Post
    I am a home theater designer. I don't need a designer. What I do need is speaker, amp, and preamp ect. advice.

I have a budget of 50k and some general audio knowledge.
    Do your best!!!

A.J.
    Tell ya what, there A.J.; hows about YOU do your best and we'll sit back and watch, eh?

I got the distinct impression that he wanted to know about amps and speakers not carpet and drapes.
    True, but when you enter the realm of "ultimate" home theaters you will find both. Besides.. you need something to work with for your room acoustics.

And whats wrong with gear with the triple tuning fork logo on it?
    I don't know if they make high end gear for other markets, but here in North America their gear is far from the best. In the past they have made superior products, but these days they seem firmly planted in the average quality world with extra bells and whistles thrown in as you move up their price points.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't know if they make high end gear for other markets, but here in North America their gear is far from the best.

Widget
    Absolutely nothing wrong with these! And at the price he is looking, this would be a contender with plenty of coin left over. I love my RX-Z9.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...9&CTID=5000300

Still, for the tiny room he is looking at, perhaps something like Ashley set up would be more appropriate (no balls though!).

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with these!
    Except the sound.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. In all seriousness, for people who want countless surround modes Yamaha has them in spades, but for sound quality there are much better choices. First of all going with a dedicated processor and external amp or amps.

Here is another point. Yamaha doesn't offer Audyssey. Denon, Onkyo, Integra, and NAD do. Audyssey is not a gimmick, it offers real bennefits especially for difficult rooms.

Widget

Except the sound.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. In all seriousness, for people who want countless surround modes Yamaha has them in spades, but for sound quality there are much better choices. First of all going with a dedicated processor and external amp or amps.

Here is another point. Yamaha doesn't offer Audyssey. Denon, Onkyo, Integra, and NAD do. Audyssey is not a gimmick, it offers real bennefits especially for difficult rooms.

Widget
    Yamaha uses a YPAO system.

If this is what Audyssey does, I can live without it. This is obviously a form of compression and eq and any compression/eq is a distortion of the original. (Not that the Yamaha effects are not also a form of distortion as they alter the original signal..., but ONLY in the surround channels.)

"Dialogue is more intelligible. Loud passages maintain impact. Soft whispers are clearly heard. The sophisticated technology behind the scenes mimics what you would do with the volume control, but it is one step ahead adjusting the volume without you noticing that it's happening. And when the volume level changes, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, an integral part of Dynamic Volume, makes sure that the frequency response and surround envelopment are adjusted to be consistent at all volume levels."

This also plays havoc with the Fletcher-Munson curves, and that's not natural.

A nice thing about the BIG Yamahas is that the surround effects are ONLY in the surround channels and the front channels stay uncolored. As such, you can dial in as much (or little) as you want.

As for sound quality, my Yamaha is every bit as (probably more) quiet as my big Crown PSA-2XH.

When was the last time you actually sat and listened to a big Yammie that you were able to tweek to your liking (cause you can certainly do plenty of tweeking)?

Thank You

[QUOTE=Allanvh5150;213627]I got the distinct impression that he wanted to know about amps and speakers not carpet and drapes.

THANK YOU!!!

Yamaha uses a YPAO system.

If this is what Audyssey does...
    It certainly isn't.

Audyssey is quite unique. It is able to tune a room in phase, frequency and time. Many systems including DEQX claim to do this. Audyssey is the first one that really works.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/index.html

When was the last time you actually sat and listened to a big Yammie that you were able to tweek to your liking (cause you can certainly do plenty of tweeking)?
    I have used several of their receivers including their TOTL models over the past few years. I have been able to tweak away for hours... and you are right, they allow you to really mess around with the sound, but I have never been able to get the best sound from the room they were in.

But, hey... if you have one and it works for you then you bought the right piece of gear. For me, when someone asks, I steer them away from the triple tuning fork.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by ajmernone View Post
    THANK YOU!!!
    Would you like to be a bit more specific?

Since you are a professional Home Theater Designer, I would assume you have a pretty good grasp of what amps, processors, speakers, projectors, screens, bass traps, etc. are available.

What do you need to know that you don't already?

Widget

It certainly isn't.

Widget
    Sure it is..., I took the quote directly from their web site. Are you going to contradict their own literature?

Sure it is..., I took the quote directly from their web site. Are you going to contradict their own literature?
    Todd, I don't want to argue with you, but the YPAO system is simply not as sophisticated as the one developed by Audyssey. Yamaha's YPAO system uses pink noise and is essentially an automated parametric equalization system. It will also automatically set the correct delays for speaker placement and correct for gross phase errors (polarity of each channel). Pioneer has a similar system. Theirs is called MCACC.

Audyssey is quite a bit different and uses a special impulse noise source and this allows it to also do phase and time correction. For the best correction with Audyssey they offer MultiEQ XT. To activate this you have to buy a separate license key and have your dealer come out and set up the system. The fee for this is typically $500 including the license. To set this system up your dealer hooks up a PC to your processor or receiver and it does the significant number crunching that Audyssey MultiEQ XT requires. The dealer also has special software and a calibrated preamp and mic from Audyssey.

As far as taking info from these companies' literature, they all claim to be the panacea we have all been waiting for, but with the exception of Velodyne's Digital Drive bass EQ system, Audyssey is the only one of these automated systems that has really proven effective. The others all "work", but for the most part, I find none of them do a better job than I can do with a good parametric EQ.

Widget

Todd, I don't want to argue with you, but the YPAO system is simply not as sophisticated as the one developed by Audyssey.

Widget
    Never said it was.

I only meant to note that the big Yammies are not the POS that you make them out to be. And don't confuse those at the top with those sold at the mass consumer level.

For a home theater, one could do far worse than better.

I only meant to note that the big Yammies are not the POS that you make them out to be.
    I guess my critical tone comes across as far more negative than intended. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the Yamaha gear was crap. I simply don't find it to be worthy of recommendation.

As for the RX-Z11 with a list price of $5,500 I think you can do much better with an Integra DTC 9.8 processor and an ATI AT2007 amp combo which together list for $4,600. However as I noted above, if a maximum number of surround modes is important to you, then you really should consider the Yamaha.

Which by the way, brings us back on topic. I'd highly recommend the Integra/ATI combo as the backbone of any high end home theater.

Widget

Thread Information