Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alive And Well In My JBL Shop

Finally getting back to complete my description on veneer installation using wood glue and paper backed veneer.

I recommend that everyone installing veneer, regardless of veneer type and adhesion method, take the time to look over the hints offered on Oakwood Veneer's web site. I started doing veneer quite a while before I discovered them and I went thru a lot of trial and error, wasted product and frustrations. I finally established my system and techniques and was a happy camper with only infrequent problems. When I started using Oakwood and discovered their web site hints I was able to further fine tune my methods - wish I had seen these before.

Some DO's and DO-NOT's

Do - always use a cloth layer between the iron and the veneer. This protects the veneer from being damaged and the iron from collecting sap on the surface. Even more important, the cloth provides an insulation barrier against too much heat being applied. If you apply too much heat the glue will melt or puddle. The goal is to heat the glue to the point that it becomes very sticky like contact cement. If you melt it totally you now have a situation where the veneer will only bond after the glue again dries. This would require that pressure be applied to that spot and left there until the glue is fully dried.

Do - always keep the iron moving and do not ponder in one spot too long. I'm guilty of leaving the iron sit while I swap bugs that are biting at my ankles - stay focused. Too much heat for too long and you have the problems I mentioned above.

Do a large surface in sections. I break the area up into approx. 2 Sq-Ft patches. Some recommend working from the center out in all directions but this is difficult when trying to keep track of where you left off when working a large area.

When you have completed the piece go over the entire area with a veneer roller, cloth removed, and listen for any crackling under the roller. If a problem area is detected, heat and roll again.

Do Not - roll off the exposed overhang or corners. This will break the veneer, usually in a way that it will still show after you have trimmed off the excess.

Do Not try to sand off the overhang. This will give you a louzy edge, especially over the length of a long cabinet side. Small veneer planes are available but in the hands of a non-skilled user they are an accident waiting to happen. They are also iffy when trimming cross-grain. Spend $75-$100 and buy a high speed laminate trimmer with a flush trim bit. Scribe a cut line across grain to prevent chipping and cut slow. Go like hell when cutting with the grain.

After trimming off excess overhang, sand all cut edges. Do not sand across grain (obvious) and do not sand in the up direction as it will possibly lift the veneer. Always sand downward - down, lift the block, raise the block, apply and sand down again - hope that makes sense.

I use a fresh piece of 100 grit since this is just to remove excess. Finish paper will be used later.

After trimming the veneer and before sanding the exposed edges - take your thumb and go along the entire exposed veneer edge, in the upward direction, trying to lift the veneer - like thumbing over a deck of cards or thru the pages of a book. Thumb up only, over the entire edge and listen for loose veneer. You'll know when you hear it if the bond is not good.

A loose edge section or corner can usually be reheated and rolled again to correct the problem. If this does not work then you likely have a spot where there is insufficient glue. You can lift the veneer with a thin blade, apply a spot of wood glue and then tie it down with some masking tape until the glue dries. This is not uncommon at corners as the glue, when applied, wants to leach away from the pointed corners. In warm weather I seldom have problems but when it's colder out I pay particulat attention to these areas when rolling on the glue.

If you find bubbles under the veneer and they will not lay down with more heat and roller pressure then you likely have a trapped air bubble. Take a thin single edge razor blade and slice a line thru the veneer (small as possible. After releasing the air try to heat and roll the spot again. If this does not work then you not only had an air bubble but also not enough glue at that spot. Make your slice a bit longer, try to hold it open so that a small amount of glue can be squeezed thru the crack. Use the blade tip of a small utility knife to insert the glue. Afterwards lightly push down to let excess glue exit the slice. Wipe the area with a damp cloth to clean the grain as best possible. Place a patch of waxed paper over the spot and find a dead weight to sit there for a couple hours while the glue dries - No more heat and roll at this point!!!! This should give you a good bond at the bad spot - and it you're lucky the spot will not show after the sanding and oiling is complete.

Can't think of anything else right now.

RIP 2009
    What a bunch of great veneering posts!! I wonder if this info can be made a "sticky" somewhere, like Bo's re-foaming thread? Either way, I know where to look now.

Thanks very much!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by saeman View Post
    Finally getting back to complete my description on veneer installation using wood glue and paper backed veneer.

I recommend that everyone installing veneer, regardless of veneer type and adhesion method, take the time to look over the hints offered on Oakwood Veneer's web site. I started doing veneer quite a while before I discovered them and I went thru a lot of trial and error, wasted product and frustrations. I finally established my system and techniques and was a happy camper with only infrequent problems. When I started using Oakwood and discovered their web site hints I was able to further fine tune my methods - wish I had seen these before.

Some DO's and DO-NOT's

Do - always use a cloth layer between the iron and the veneer. This protects the veneer from being damaged and the iron from collecting sap on the surface. Even more important, the cloth provides an insulation barrier against too much heat being applied. If you apply too much heat the glue will melt or puddle. The goal is to heat the glue to the point that it becomes very sticky like contact cement. If you melt it totally you now have a situation where the veneer will only bond after the glue again dries. This would require that pressure be applied to that spot and left there until the glue is fully dried.

Do - always keep the iron moving and do not ponder in one spot too long. I'm guilty of leaving the iron sit while I swap bugs that are biting at my ankles - stay focused. Too much heat for too long and you have the problems I mentioned above.

Do a large surface in sections. I break the area up into approx. 2 Sq-Ft patches. Some recommend working from the center out in all directions but this is difficult when trying to keep track of where you left off when working a large area.

When you have completed the piece go over the entire area with a veneer roller, cloth removed, and listen for any crackling under the roller. If a problem area is detected, heat and roll again.

Do Not - roll off the exposed overhang or corners. This will break the veneer, usually in a way that it will still show after you have trimmed off the excess.

Do Not try to sand off the overhang. This will give you a louzy edge, especially over the length of a long cabinet side. Small veneer planes are available but in the hands of a non-skilled user they are an accident waiting to happen. They are also iffy when trimming cross-grain. Spend $75-$100 and buy a high speed laminate trimmer with a flush trim bit. Scribe a cut line across grain to prevent chipping and cut slow. Go like hell when cutting with the grain.

After trimming off excess overhang, sand all cut edges. Do not sand across grain (obvious) and do not sand in the up direction as it will possibly lift the veneer. Always sand downward - down, lift the block, raise the block, apply and sand down again - hope that makes sense.

I use a fresh piece of 100 grit since this is just to remove excess. Finish paper will be used later.

After trimming the veneer and before sanding the exposed edges - take your thumb and go along the entire exposed veneer edge, in the upward direction, trying to lift the veneer - like thumbing over a deck of cards or thru the pages of a book. Thumb up only, over the entire edge and listen for loose veneer. You'll know when you hear it if the bond is not good.

A loose edge section or corner can usually be reheated and rolled again to correct the problem. If this does not work then you likely have a spot where there is insufficient glue. You can lift the veneer with a thin blade, apply a spot of wood glue and then tie it down with some masking tape until the glue dries. This is not uncommon at corners as the glue, when applied, wants to leach away from the pointed corners. In warm weather I seldom have problems but when it's colder out I pay particulat attention to these areas when rolling on the glue.

If you find bubbles under the veneer and they will not lay down with more heat and roller pressure then you likely have a trapped air bubble. Take a thin single edge razor blade and slice a line thru the veneer (small as possible. After releasing the air try to heat and roll the spot again. If this does not work then you not only had an air bubble but also not enough glue at that spot. Make your slice a bit longer, try to hold it open so that a small amount of glue can be squeezed thru the crack. Use the blade tip of a small utility knife to insert the glue. Afterwards lightly push down to let excess glue exit the slice. Wipe the area with a damp cloth to clean the grain as best possible. Place a patch of waxed paper over the spot and find a dead weight to sit there for a couple hours while the glue dries - No more heat and roll at this point!!!! This should give you a good bond at the bad spot - and it you're lucky the spot will not show after the sanding and oiling is complete.

Can't think of anything else right now.
    Exactally why Rick was my first choice on re-veneering my 4350's, years of experience and perfection.

I finished up my projects this week and for the first time since I can't remember, my shop is empty and void of any sign of a JBL cabinet. It seems kind of weird so I expect I'll have to get something started. I hope to be out of the restoration business for a while. They're always a challenge and certainly rewarding to bring them back to life, but I've had my fill - maybe next year. I need to refrain from buying these old basket cases just for the sake of rebuilding them.

Since completing the 4350's for neanderthal I've hustled thru completing restoration of 4315B's, 4343B's, 4344's and 4350B's. After covering the grilles with new Zilch cloth the projects will be done. I have a good stack of wood already cut for some new construction projects so I hope to spend the remainder of the summer building new.

Thanks for all of your compliments as they're always appreciated. Playing with this old stuff is a passion but having others to share it all with makes it even more fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Dear Saeman,

Your work is simply stunning, Sir!!! I am in awe of the artistry you exhibit in rehabilitating these older systems, and making them look even better than brand new!!! I am soon going to be working on some older 4333 cabinets, compliments of Grumpy, and I fear mine will never hold even a small birthday candle to yours, Good Sir!! (Read that: They are utility cabinets, and will very probably remain so.) But, I am excited about putting the system together, nevertheless! Thank you, very much, for sharing the results of your gift in making JBL cabinets look so very fine! Have fun with your upcoming projects, whatever they end up being, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

As always just spectacular work.

Rob

Wonderful to see this level of workmanship in restoration!

Looking forward to more new ideas/projects as well.

I'd sure like to hear some of those wood lenses in comparison
    to the seemingly much thinner material used in stock 2308-type.

BTW,
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark
    ...older 4333 cabinets, ...
    Compliments of Saeman as well ... the source of these.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'd sure like to hear some of those wood lenses in comparison
    to the seemingly much thinner material used in stock 2308-type.

BTW,
    Compliments of Saeman as well ... the source of these.
    Try as I may, I can't hear any difference between the wood lenses and the plastic 2308's. They have great eye appeal and with the 2308's near gone they're an available choice - Yahoo Japan every once in a while.

Nice that someone will make a project of those old 4333 cabinets. It's always better to pass things along rather than sending them to the land fill.

Beautiful pictures as always.

..The charge coupled network project is ongoing... Giskard/4313B is putting time in on the project as he can and all in waiting (including me and I've been in since the beginning some 2 1/2 years ago) are anxious to see final results, but need to remember that it's a part time job for those involved getting a lower priority than job and family.
    Comprehensible, absolutely.
    It looks now that promises were made that were not possible to keep. ... This summer we should see a large number of networks completed so hang in there please.

My communications on this project have not been the best... For those who have been waiting impatiently, you know I've kept in touch - from here in the U.S. to Europe and I have a rather hefty ongoing phone bill to show for it.
    Yup, patience is a must. Can't imagine though anyone having a problem with your communication Rick..
    The first pair of 3144/3145 networks should be done early next week and we're hoping for good reviews.

this will be the appropriate thread: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=16293

Since completing the 4350's for neanderthal I've hustled thru completing restoration of 4315B's, 4343B's, 4344's and 4350B's. After covering the grilles with new Zilch cloth the projects will be done. I have a good stack of wood already cut for some new construction projects so I hope to spend the remainder of the summer building new.

Hi Saeman
    Beautiful work you're doing. I've followed most of your projects, and I wonder one thing. I always thougt the two 15" drivers in 4350 and 4355 had separate cabinets, but in your vertical ones, it is quite visible from your pics that they share the same cabinet. Is that right?
    How big are the dog cabs for 2202 in the 4350/4355 speakers. I am quite new to speakerbuilding and in the programs I have available I can only figure out how to get an optimal cab for best bass response. But don't know how to find out how many litres or qubicfeet the 2202 have for playing only down to 300hz.
    Could you please give some info?
    Thanks
    Verner

Try as I may, I can't hear any difference between the wood lenses and the plastic 2308's. They have great eye appeal and with the 2308's near gone they're an available choice - Yahoo Japan every once in a while.

Nice that someone will make a project of those old 4333 cabinets. It's always better to pass things along rather than sending them to the land fill.
    Good Morning, Grumpy and Saeman,

WOW! That's very cool and interesting news! So, these 4333 cabinets came from the Chicago area? I'd love to know, exactly, where they've been in their lives! Quite the travelers, it seems!

Sincere and heartfelt thanks to Saeman and to Grumpy, for making them available to me, and you are guaranteed that they will find a loving, and I'd say, permanent home with me and Sweet Bride!! The interesting thing is that she is almost as excited as me, about finally getting this project off the drawing board, and into reality! That makes it even MORE fun! So, thanks to you both, and to several other forum members, for your sharing and kind support!! This is a special place, for those of us who teethed on JBL, and I really appreciate the atmosphere here. I'll take and post photos as my dream speakers finally come to life, and I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, as things progress. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

4333 cab saga

I believe purchase was local (Calif) and just the components headed East.

YES

The owner of 2 pairs of 4333's started posting the components on ebay - BIN. I happened along early after the first listing and bought what I wanted from the lot. It was a great find for me. The cabinets were a free "Oh By The Way after buying the components. Not needing them I had a friend pick them up and then offered them on the forum. Grumpy spoke up and the story ends there. I never atually saw them but every cabinet is restorable if you have the ambition.

Thumbs up

Beautiful Work!!!

Can you tell me if this Veneer task could be acomplished over a painted surface, sanded smooth? I'm wondering about the paint melting...

Many Thanks, Tom

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Thread Information