Thread: 10" outboard midbass cabinet?

10" outboard midbass cabinet?

Greetings, Friends,

In some surfing here at the JBL site, I chanced upon a post by Heather, in which she details the adding of a 10" midbass transducer to her system, as a small outboard cabinet.

Heather, how did that end up working out for you, if I may ask? Are you still using that setup? I've been considering doing something similar, to achieve my 4-way system.

I look forward to hearing what you thought of that experiment, and any other thoughts of comments from our membership at large. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

...not to divert your energy, but in looking ahead toward a "finished" speaker,
    you might want to also want to check out Robh3606's experience building 4344
    clones. -grumpy

Hi Doc,

Seems like you are making progress from the other threads you have going. I know you have the E110's you're converting to 2122's. If you need to, I've got a number of 2123H's you could try out too and see what you like. You don't have to buy them until you decide what you like.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Hi Doc,

Seems like you are making progress from the other threads you have going. I know you have the E110's you're converting to 2122's. If you need to, I've got a number of 2123H's you could try out too and see what you like. You don't have to buy them until you decide what you like.

Regards,

Bart
    Hey, Bart,

Good to hear from you, and thanks, very much, for your kind offer! I had pretty much decided to recone both E110's into 2122's, or 2123's, based upon suggestions from forum members. But, I know my original intent was to try and compare the sound of a stock E110, used as a midbass transducer, with the sound of the other 10 speakers. I guess it all depends on what price you're seeking for your 10's, and how my project goes, building-wise.

My idea for adding an outboard 10" stems partly from my excitement to get this thing off the ground, and at least have this system underway!! I'm like the old rental horse that you have to beat to get to move away from the barn, then hold on for dear life when it's quitting time and the old Nag starts heading back to the barn, at full speed!!! I see finally "see" my Dream Speakers taking shape, and with Grumpy's fantastic offer of the old 4333 cabinets, I figured the quickest way to get this whole system off the ground, at least in the beginning, was to fill the 4333's as they were originally intended, as best I could, then add the 10", electronically crossed over, and begin to "play" with combinations.

I really think that, in the end, I'll use the 4333's as regular subwoofer cabinets with the 2235's in them. I can run them up to around 300 HZ, or use them as I do my subwoofer now, crossed at 90 HZ. Then, I'll actually build a three-way, smaller, box to go on top of the 4333's, which will contain the 10", compression driver, horn, and lense, plus the 2405. Now, after visiting Todd, I'm considering replacing my 2420 drivers with a pair of 2445's, and the appropriate horn, crossed over electronically, again, so I can "play" around and experiment!!! Oh, the decisions!!!

If you would, please PM me with a figure for your 10's, and I'll get back to you before heading out on our next gig. Thanks, again, for thinking about it all, and for your kind offer, Bart! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Lately, I've again been considering adding in that single 2242HPL, in an 8 cubic foot cabinet, to augment the signal below 50 HZ, in conjunction with the system above. I now have more than enough amplifiers to do the job, nicely, and would only need to get one more Crown VFX2A crossover, which will give me a pair of them, used as a three-way for the upper system. I already have an Audio Control electronic crossover, which has a 90 HZ card in it, too. I can change the card to whatever I decide is best. FUN!!!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, Friends,

In some surfing here at the JBL site, I chanced upon a post by Heather, in which she details the adding of a 10" midbass transducer to her system, as a small outboard cabinet.

Heather, how did that end up working out for you, if I may ask? Are you still using that setup? I've been considering doing something similar, to achieve my 4-way system.

I look forward to hearing what you thought of that experiment, and any other thoughts of comments from our membership at large. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hi Doc - thanks for the questions - I was away for my father-in-law's funeral (with piper!) and just got back today.

I did the homebrew 4 way config (2215, 2123, LE85 and 2405) they weren't bad, but frankly, we are much happier after we found a pair of 4341 (factory) 4ways (drivers - 2235, 2122, LE85 and 2405) and set those up to run in biamped mode in that room .

I did take the "homebrew" parts and stuffed a variation of them (2234, LE85 and 2405 with a 3133 crossover) into a pair of L200 cabinets and they are real nice sounding as 3 ways (without the outboard doghouse for a 10 inch).
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello Doc

Dropping a 10" in a box on top is not going to integrate with the rest of the drivers as it should. The placement and spacing are "wrong/not optimum" from the get go. You are better off just going for a 4 way cabinet up front. Trying to do a work around with a 3 way may not work out unless there is enough room to change the baffle for the "correct" driver layout and internal volume with the midbass chamber added to tune the box for the woofer.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Doc

Dropping a 10" in a box on top is not going to integrate with the rest of the drivers as it should. The placement and spacing are "wrong/not optimum" from the get go. You are better off just going for a 4 way cabinet up front. Trying to do a work around with a 3 way may not work out unless there is enough room to change the baffle for the "correct" driver layout and internal volume with the midbass chamber added to tune the box for the woofer.

Rob
    Good Evening, Rob, Heather, and all,

Many thanks for the thoughts and comments! In truth, this idea was just a "stop gap", to get things rolling before I jump into the actual system I wish to have. With your advice firmly in mind, I shall not do the outboard 10" cabinet, and will enjoy the 4333's cabinets that I'm getting through the kindness of Grumpy, as a three-way system. I have all the proper components to use them as they were originally designed, except that my horn is a 1,200 HZ version, instead of the 800HZ that the 4333 employed.

After I've had more time, and have been enjoying "JBL Sound" through those cabinets, I'll go ahead and build some smaller satellite cabinets, housing the 10", 2420 + horn/lense assembly, and 2405. Then I'll seal off the other holes in the 4333, and just use it as a subwoofer. I may, or may not, add a "sub-subwoofer", in the form of the 2242HPL that I now have on hand, depending on how the two-piece system sounds. I'll be crossing over the 2235H's, in the 4333 cabinets, to the satellites, electronically, and will experiment with crossover point. Right now, I'm setup for a 90HZ crossover, but also have a Crown VFX2A, instead of the Audio Control X-over I'm now using, and so can change the crossover point to whatever works best with that setup.

Thanks, again, for your comments, one and all, and I'll keep you posted as things progress!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Evening, Rob,

Could you please post a link that shows the development and building of the neat 4-way JBL system you have in your Avatar? I'd love to learn more about that. I think Grumpy suggested that I check that out, but I could not find the link. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who's up in NY, right now)

Hello Doc

Here are 2 threads that can help you out. My 4344 build is in one of them. If you do a search there are many other threads out there you can get useful info

Rob

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=4345

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=4345

Thread Information