Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3rd LHS Forum Meeting - Deutschland

Hope everyone likes large ships

and if so just let me know and you'll get to see a lot of them because I for one will rather cover the sightseeing part of the location Hamburg and periphery. Some of us did a harbour tour by boat and it really had a lot of beautiful and impressing scenes to offer.

For starters here's the "Louisiana Star" – a type most of you in the US should be familiar with..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some of us stayed in a hotel out-of-town. Attached are pics of Rick & Donna's arrival in the afternoon before, and the following dinner in a restaurant with excellent spanish cuisine, in an old restored farmhouse typical for the region of North Germany, with Claus (schloerch) and Wolfgang (salinat7).

Well to be honest, I did not take many pics with sufficient quality of the actual event next day. Let's hope Ricks Canon was more reliable during that dinner and you'll have to wait for him to get them sorted at home. For now I can safely tell that it was an amusing afternoon, with some new faces. Other participants might step in here and take over.

Obsolete
    Very nice guys.

start of event day

The actual event day started at 12:20 at the Hamburger Hauptbahnhof when Jan arrived. Due to the red JBL bag there was no waste of time.

It was a very warm day, so we first aimed at a restaurant to get a cooling icecream. In the Europa Passage we found a place on a balcony upstairs, where we had a wonderful sight over the lake Alster.
    We had some hours left, we made a walk through the city to the harbour passing the councilhouse and the Alsterarkaden. The swans in front of the Alsterarkaden are typical for Hamburg and the Alster. We took a look into one of the older business houses, some have wonderful staircases. Unfortunately this house had no paternoster which still can be found in Hamburg. From far we saw the Bismarck statue, at least the head.
    On our way to the most famous church of Hamburg, the St.Michaels Church (Michel), we passed the Trostbrücke (bridge built 1881-83, first mentioned 1266). The Michel has the tower which can be seen first when a saylor comes up the river Elbe. We did not visit the church, this could be done with the whole group, and entered the Kramergasse. This little street has the oldest houses of Hamburg (17th century), they overcame all fires.
    We went down to the Elbe and arrived at the Landungsbrücken (boarding bridge). Close to it there is the entrance of the older Elbtunnel (1911), worth to have a look at. We got down by feet and took up the elevator. We arrived at the Fischerhaus just in time.

We talked about all and everything between microphone and ear. Btw I learned quite a few facts about Copenhagen and Danmark too.

Next came Peter (Nrwjbl). We three were the last at the end. Others were gone, we made a walk over the Reeperbahn. Unfortunately we missed that there was the DOM (summer fair) whith a Bavarian beer tent. It could have been fun for all.

Pictures for illustrating:
    Binnenalster
    Rathaus
    Alsterarkaden
    Treppenhaus
    Bismarck
    Trostbrücke

Hamburg pictures

Pictures for illustrating:
    Michel
    Kramergasse
    Landungsbrücken
    Elbtunnel
    Davidswache
    Dom

The Best Yet

Hello All:

We made it home yesterday afternoon and we're now back to the daily grind. I see that Fangio and Peter H. have posted a few words and pics. I'm just now getting a few minutes to photo shop some of my pics of the visit to Hamburg.

Jet lag really doesn't describe my condition after returning to Chicago. I had enough sleep on the return flight to overcome the time difference, had I been reasonable and gotten some sleep before our departure. With a departing time of 6:30 am and knowing that we had to be at the Frankfurt airport at 5 am, we were still sitting at the table on HP's patio at 2 am, talking, drinking wine and Asbach-cola and listening to music. If my mother were there she would have reminded me that I'm getting too old for these activities.

We all passed out shortly after 2 am and I awoke (actually my wife dragged me out of bed) at around 4:15 am to the smell of hot coffee in Angelica's kitchen. Somewhere around 4:30 we headed to the airport and the without the coffee I wonder if we would have made it on time. We said our good-byes and we both had eyes closed before the plane left the runway.

Sometimes there are more important things than sleep and this was the case with our visit with friends in Germany on this trip - too bad we'll not see them all again until maybe next year.

The Forum Meeting at the Fischerhaus was a great success in my opinion. For me it was an opportunity to see everyone that I met on previous trips and to finally meet a few of the guys that I missed before.

In attendance were Peter B. (nrwjbl), Peter Hoerninger, HP (hofmannhp), me (saeman), Claus D. (schloerch), Jan Daugaard, Florian J. (fangio), Wolfgang S. (salinat7) and Tom Rode from Berlin. This was by far our largest gathering. We had a nice dinner and bier at the Fischerhaus and after that we all had a walk along the harbor front. I think everyone had a good time and the JBL talks continued until we all separated at the end of the day. A few of the guys continued in Hamburg and the rest of us went back to Jesteburg where we had our hotel rooms. For all who went to Jesteburg (Claus, Florian, me, HP and Wolfgang) we continued the meeting at Wolfgang's home on his patio - bier and Uzo as I remember, until well after midnight.

GREAT TIME

Here are a few pics:
    1. Rear Entrance to the Fischerhaus
    2. Our Table
    3. Peter B. nrwjbl looking content
    4. Jan Daugaard looking bewildered

more pics:
    1. dinner
    2. dinner
    3. Peter Hoerninger - from his smile he knows something nobody else knows
    4. Peter - a wave to his fans, possibly he's running for public office

more pics 2
    1. Wolfgang - too serious, hoping to convince us that Tannoy is better than JBL, even though he owns great JBL's
    2. Peter B. and Wolfgang
    3. Florian having a good time
    4. The Fischerhaus after sunset.

We were invited by Peter Hoerninger to stop by his home for a visit and some JBL talk. On our way from Laboe to Hamburg we stopped for a couple hours to visit Peter and his wife and we had a wonderful time. Peter and I have been looking forward to finally meeting as I was unable to visit Hamburg on previous trips and he was not able to attend our two previous meetings in Bad Homburg at the infamous Blues Garage.

As with all stops, we stayed longer than expected. Peter - the cake was wonderful and two pieces were mandatory. Eating a third might have been a bit rude!!! but I could have with no problem.

Attached are a couple more pics from our harbor cruise also from Frankfurt. I wonder if it would be possible to visit all of the wine cellars in Germany in a normal lifetime???? It might be worth a try for those living in Germany but not possible for us tourists.

pics:
    1. Claus looking for JBL's in the #3 Torpedo Tube on the U-995 in Laboe
    2. Our meeting with Peter H. and proof of the wonderful cake
    3. HP, Angelica and Florian on the waterfront in Hamburg
    4. Hamburg Harbor - a container ship that caries over 9000 containers

size comparison

These tour boats get really close.

Old Fireship
    Mare Frisum
    Michel, Mississippi Queen
    and a cold one
    finally

more pics 3

1. another pics on the waterfront in Hamburg
    2. HP and Geli in Frankfurt
    3. wine, wine and more wine at the farmer's market in Frankfurt
    4. the 3rd and not as well known member of the Blues Brothers
    5. a nice wine cellar, standing room only. it's been a while since I went home with a buzz from too much wine.

Museum guide

The green background on some photos is from the old sailing ship "Rickmer Rickmers", nowadays a museum and restaurant.
    The red fireboat is a pub. Did we miss something?

JBL 4645

Down the JBL fire! Looks like this was whole lot of fun I noticed some faces in the pictures from last years get together.

What’s this then Pirates of the JBL. Awesome pictures looks like a nice city.

That reminds me so much of the port here in Los Angeles, though Hamburg has more character.

It makes me think...
    Out.

It makes me think...
    ... you wish you were a Hamburger?
    Haven't visited that far north... Evidently, I should make a point of it next time
    Last edited by grumpy; 08-12-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Apologies to actual Hamburgers, Frankfurters, Wieners, Budwiesers for my lame-ass inconsiderate American humor.

Thread Information