Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genuine Audiophile Quality

Bad speakers - good cables = bad sound. Good speakers - bad cables = bad sound. Good speakers - good cables = good sound.

When are you people going to learn???

Red face

I must be a disingenuous audiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Internet geek cartoon ... see today's comic (Weds June 18, 2008)

They GET it!

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post

When are you people going to learn???
    When are going to learn to laugh?
    No harm meant, Rolf- was just meant to be a joke!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Ian.

Well, I believe we have been this before, but in general the thickness of the cable has some importance. Just like the electrical system in our house needs different thickness for a 10A and a 25A. To thin will make the cable getting hot, and finally burn up because of the resistance. Like a water hose, you need a large hose to get more water out of it, if the supply is large enough.

I am no technical expert who knows how a cable (interlink or speaker cable) should be made. As I have said many times before: "my ears is the judge", and what I know is that different cables sound different.

What I call a bad cable is f.ex. a lamp cord, witch in my opinion has nothing to do in a hi-fi setup. A good cable is f.ex. a cable made especially for amp -> speaker. Not that a $10.000 cable neccesarly is better than a $500. I have heard enough to know this.

Sorry for my input regarding this, as I know many here believe all cables sound the same, and I don't want to start another cable debate.

People must use what they want. If one is happy with the choice it is ok for me. I know what I want (have) and is happy with my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Bad cables = ?

So Rolf please explain what is a bad cable apart from one that you "think" sounds like a bad cable?

Yes I know. (rewire the 4343's) This will be done as soon as I get my charge couplet cross overs.

Have you heard the DD66000? I heard them in a horrible room, with ok equipment (Macintosh). It was in this setup the statements where made that the 4343's sounded better. NOT as a rule if the speakers had been in another room. That I really don't know yet, as I have not heard the DD66000 in a proper room.

I have the possibility of trying them in my own house, but this is a serious thing to do. Moving speakers out and in, electronic crossovers, freight prices, +++.

Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse". I guess I must be seen like one in someones eyes reading some of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    You should then completely rewire your 4343 's because apart from a horribly poor switch contactor and all the clip on spade connectors the wiring is thinner than lamp flex.

Of course if a metre or so of your favourite cable helps "we" understand.

I recall according to your ears the 4343 is superior to the Everest 11 Pigs Arse!

that's just australian slang for

Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse".
    "very informal ! – probably meant in a sarcastic way... calm down Rolf.

.....something that you say when you do not believe what someone has just told you."

Pig's arse

Gentlemen! Relax!
    The whole thread was playful, meant for a chuckle or two - if you read the original cartoons, it was not about speaker cable or interconnect cables, it was about paying $500 for a high end ethernet/Cat5 cable -

Digital data, not analog!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

. . . . Thanks for calling me a "Pigs Arse". . . .
    The expression "pig's arse" is a shortened version of "in a pig's arse," NOT "you are a pig's arse." It means basically the same as "like hell," or "bullshit."

On the other hand, or cheek, "horse's ass" is usually directed at a person, as in "you're a horse's ass"--an idiot behaving like a fool. That is, unless they do things differently in Australia, which they probably do, since it's all ass over teakettle down there anyway, which may be why they drink beer instead of tea so much of the time.

OK ...

Find out what type of cabling they used to build the studio your favorite recording was made in.....( it might make you wonder how it was made at all...).

Regis
    The whole cable thing cracks me up. Just about all of us know the insides of the vintage JBL home and studio speakers and I can tell you that it ain't monster cable (unless they're the JBL 250 Ti's or XPL series). The 4315's had the usual dinky wire running through them (just like my L-300's).

I've got to develop a magic pair of foam ear benders, so that you can fold your ears forward slightly and improve your listening session. They'll sell for $200 the pair and will come in three sizes and of course, be scientifically designed for an optimal angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    I've got to develop a magic pair of foam ear benders, so that you can fold your ears forward slightly and improve your listening session. They'll sell for $200 the pair and will come in three sizes and of course, be scientifically designed for an optimal angle.
    The factory wiring in my L-166's was pathetic, small guage and open crappy solder points...

ear benders ?? kinda like those anti-snore nose strips ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Regis... dude... you are so late to the party. I've actually seen leather(-ish?)
    ear extenders intended for 'audiophile' sale... many, many years ago.

There's a guy on pinkfish at the mo' who claims he can easily hear fuse direction
    "They're everywhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    There's a guy on pinkfish at the mo' who claims he can easily hear fuse direction
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to dis him - but sheesh!
    Maybe its best NOT to have such bat-ears!

Thread Information