Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Biamped L250ti Jubilee Clone

It's taken me alot longer to finally get here than I thought. I should have the first test speaker up and running this afternoon. Can't wait to see what one actually sounds like. I don't have the real bottoms built so I have surogates for now but at least I can hear the top half and see if the crossovers actually work or not.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Wow! That's really nice Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Wow! That's really nice Rob!
    Finally!!! What am I saying... I am further behind than you.

Looking good though.

Widget

Way cool!

Very nice work Rob!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Finally!!! What am I saying... I am further behind than you.
    You both have me beat... I'm sitting here still screwing around with 2235H recones.

yes... very nice work! and inspiring/motivational too

Thanks guys for the kind words! Well I finally have one up and working. I have an asymmetrical pair up but I must say it sure does sound nice!! I don't have the batteries in yet just trying to see if it all works.

So far so good. I was a bit worried about how well the reworked bandpass filter on the 108H would sum with the DX-1. I just used my RTA to get things working and phased properly and it all looks good. I have a nice flat curve through the upper and lower sections of that filter. Thank goodness for that!

I have to get the other one up tomorrow.

Rob

Got my pair running. Damn they sound nice!! I have to power up the networks it all seems to be working.

Rob

So shut up and listen to the music already.

I am envious... I wish you weren't 2,900 miles away.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Got my pair running. Damn they sound nice!! I have to power up the networks it all seems to be working.

Rob
    Rob,

That's awesome! I bet they sound great and you're an inspiration.

The original owner of my 250Ti-LE had them somewhere where the bottoms got damp. Therefore, I am planning on building new cabinets. What would you have done differently? Any suggestions?

Thanks and congrats again!

Thanks cosmos.

had them somewhere where the bottoms got damp. Therefore, I am planning on building new cabinets. What would you have done differently? Any suggestions?
    Yes there is. It was straight forward once the angles were figured out. You have a tremendous advantage of having stock boxes to copy.

For one thing my round-overs are probably too small. I only have a 1/4 router so the max I could get was a 1/2 " round over. I am thinking it should be a 5/8 or 3/4. Need a real 1/2 shaft router for that size bits.

When I made up the Bezels I used different layered materials. That bit me in the butt. It made them more difficult to shape when doing the angle cutting and made final sanding much more difficult. I ended up having 3 materials, the MDF, Masonite and filler all sanding at a different rates due to material hardness. It had to be carefully hand sanded.

Don't use different materials when you do the stacks to make the bezels. In hind-site I should have thought of it but I didn't.

Same issue cutting the 45 degree angle into the bezel. Needed a larger 1/2 shank router to swing an larger bit to make a deeper cut. Would have made finishing on the cabinet much easier.

Other than that I had a good drawing set and help from people here when I asked. I had a lot of fun doing it as well. Actually those cabinets are not complete. They need backs and proper cubbys for the crossover, additional bracing and eventually any open spaces will be foam filled to help get them as vibration free and possible. They will be gutted as soon as the weather permits to drag the table saw out. I still have the bottoms to build. Looking at the open backs, what a mess!!

Rob

For one thing my round-overs are probably too small. I only have a 1/4 router so the max I could get was a 1/2 " round over. I am thinking it should be a 5/8 or 3/4. Need a real 1/2 shaft router for that size bits.
    Naw... I think your smaller radii edges look better... more contemporary.

Widget

Naw... I think your smaller radii edges look better... more contemporary.
    Thanks Widget

I like them that way too. Would be nice to know what they are on the originals though. I have had them for about a week now and they are really very nice sounding speakers. I am glad I built them. One of these days I will do some measurements, they look fine on an RTA, but I am having too much fun just listening to them.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Rob,

That's awesome! I bet they sound great and you're an inspiration.

The original owner of my 250Ti-LE had them somewhere where the bottoms got damp. Therefore, I am planning on building new cabinets. What would you have done differently? Any suggestions?

Thanks and congrats again!
    Cosmos from what you say it is only bottom damage to your 250's. Just a thought but why do you not fillow Rob's example and make a modular version. Cut the top of of the existing pair and build some new bottoms to match.
    Saves all that awkward business around the tweet

Very good work Rob!

For one thing my round-overs are probably too small. I only have a 1/4 router so the max I could get was a 1/2 " round over. I am thinking it should be a 5/8 or 3/4.
    Yes, the 5/8 to 3/4 inch round-over is close to the way that my 250Ti original teak cabinets are finished. It looks like JBL used 3/4 by 3/4 inch stock for the corners and then rounded them from one edge around to the opposite edge. The 250Ti Owners Manual mentions that the rounded edges of the baffle are designed to minimize diffraction effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information