Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biamped L250ti Jubilee Clone

slxrti
    [quote=Robh3606;213153]Thanks, you planning on using a sub??

Yes, I have a pair of sub 1500 for the low end.

I decided this based on the performance of my 4430's. They have several weakness’ (which you addressed in the 4344 clone), the lower midrange is course and the bass is not up to the horns performance level. The horn will throw a wide deep sound stage. Yet the bass has single note characteristic.

I still enjoy the 4430’s and prefer them over LSR32.

slxrti

If you don't mind black, Duratex is easy to apply
    Hello John

Thanks I will check it out. I don't mind black at all.

I like your split cabinet approach
    Hello Earl

Thanks well we will how well this works out. I have LE-14H-3 for the bottom cabinet. I don't want to take the cabinet shape all the way down because of the width. I have more depth to play with and don't have that much room. I am not sure how the aesthetics will work out with the base a different shape. Probably look like hell I also want the option of different "HF heads" this being one of them for my 2 way set-up.

Are the 108H(s) store-bought originals / or / did you make them up ( starting with 2118s ) & using the aquaplas that you have on hand ?
    No I chickened out for these. I wanted the real deal so it could be a "real clone" performance wise. Except for the tweeters they are all new drivers. That's the main reason I copied the cabinet with the baffle width, driver spacing and angled baffle for the HF drivers. I can always set back the upper cabinet to keep the same VC distance between the woofer and the lower midrange.

Rob

Hi Rob

No I chickened out for these. I wanted the real deal so it could be a "real clone" performance wise. Except for the tweeters they are all new drivers. That's the main reason I copied the cabinet with the baffle width, driver spacing and angled baffle for the HF drivers. I can always set back the upper cabinet to keep the same VC distance between the woofer and the lower midrange.
    Yes, that makes sense . The last time I looked, Harman was still selling the 108H at quite affordable prices / certainly low enough to preclude attempting a DIY clone made up from a 2118 .

Thanks well we will how well this works out. I have LE-14H-3 for the bottom cabinet. I don't want to take the cabinet shape all the way down because of the width. I have more depth to play with and don't have that much room. I am not sure how the aesthetics will work out with the base a different shape. Probably look like hell I also want the option of different "HF heads" this being one of them for my 2 way set-up.
    I like all the models from within the le14 family of woofs, so I agree ( that to fully explore the various roles they can fill ) it's nice to house them in separate cabinets ( for portability ).

Well here are the rings I have to cut the bevels in the side, jig them and cut angle to finish them.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I got the bevel fixture for the router table made. Just have to wait for the glue to dry and fixture the first ring inside. Going to be making several passes to take off the material in steps so actually cutting them should take a little while. I hope the weather holds.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I am not sure how the aesthetics will work out with the base a different shape. Probably look like hell

Rob
    I like a pretty speaker, but I like a great sounding speaker better. If you get a great sound, the aesthetics are secondary.

Now, if you were going to produce them for sale, then we know that looks come first to most consumers, but since these are for you, you don't need to compromise your design.

You're putting a lot into these; I'm sure you'll get a lot out.
    Out.

Here's the fixture in action and the rough rings. They still need some hand sanding to finish them.

Hello Titanium Dome

Thanks again for the Bezel measurements you gave me a while back. Wouldn't be doing this without them.

Rob

Cool...

Looking, 'er, um, good?

Nice work though... that kind of thing can get pretty scary if you aren't really patient and take shallow cuts.

I like nice sounding speakers too, but if the beast is ugly, I can't put in my room. I can't get through an entire album with my eyes closed.
    Makes me think of that rather rude paper bag saying... but that would mess up your hearing anyway.

Rob, are you going to go for a piano black finish? Do you have access to spray equipment?

Widget

The finished speaker will probably be much prettier than it is in your head right now, Rob.
    Interesting details of your work.

Here's the fixture in action and the rough rings. They still need some hand sanding to finish them.

Hello Titanium Dome

Thanks again for the Bezel measurements you gave me a while back. Wouldn't be doing this without them.

Rob
    Rob,

Your project is inspiring me.. I bought a pair of 250Ti Limited Editions with some moisture damage at the very bottom of the cabinets. While they are completely usable as is and the damage is hard to see unless you are looking for it, I have been thinking of building new cabinets, partially to go to a wood finish but also to eliminate the cabinet issues.

The sound is wonderful. They are simply a great speaker.

Your tweeter bezel jig looks great. Are there any details you can share about the creation of the jig? Are you using the jig to taper the thickness of the bezel as well? Is that a 050Ti tweeter? The gold finish sets the Jubilee off.

Beautiful!

Thanks

Dan

The sound is wonderful. They are simply a great speaker.
    Hello Dan

Thanks now you are inspiring me to get it done!

Are there any details you can share about the creation of the jig?
    It's really a simple jig all you have to do is match the angle of the cabinet and make a work holder that is large enough to hold the piece and small enough to work on your table. That is the jig to taper the bezel. Once you have the angled side rail you just space them attach them and make a work holder to go in the middle.

One of the main problems doing this is I could not find a router bit with enough depth to bring the cut all the way down to the base of the stack. I have to use a filler material to complete the fillet toward the top of the cabinet. I would also change the stack a bit. I didn't realize just how much harder the Masonite is. I wouldn't use it as the base ring. Very hard to cut compared to the MDF. Works well up top though.

Is that a 050Ti tweeter? The gold finish sets the Jubilee off.
    Yes I got them off E-Bay years ago. Someone was selling off Century Gold parts, there were 8 up for sale 3 pairs and 2 singles I got a pair and a single the rest went to another bidder. I was very lucky to get them as they are no longer available.

Here's another look before I started cutting

Rob

I managed to get the tweeter bezels on the cabinets and the first coat of filler to make up the gap to smooth the transition to the cabinet. Well somethings not quite right as the gap dimensions are a bit off at the end of the fillets. The driver position and heights are correct so that's the most important aspect but one of my "guess's", either the roundover on the cabinet edge or the 45 degrees for the bevel angle is off. I am fine with them as is but if anyone else goes for an exact copy your going to have to get both of those before hand.

Rob

I managed to get the tweeter bezels on the cabinets and the first coat of filler to make up the gap to smooth the transition to the cabinet. Well somethings not quite right as the gap dimensions are a bit off at the end of the fillets. The driver position and heights are correct so that's the most important aspect but one of my "guess's", either the roundover on the cabinet edge or the 45 degrees for the bevel angle is off. I am fine with them as is but if anyone else goes for an exact copy your going to have to get both of those before hand.

Rob
    Rob,

Perhaps in person it is more evident, but I am having a hard time seeing anything wrong that will be apparent post paint... They look great to me!

Just wait until you live with the final result.. They just don't do anything wrong. I love mine. However, I do have to admit I have thought of trying to charge couple the crossovers and changing the 104H and 035Tia to the XPL 200 drivers.. 093Ti etc OR the Yamaha NS-1000 beryllium mid and tweeters.. However, it's really hard to disturb anything that sounds so great. In fact, that is something I REALLY like about your approach.. the separate cabinet for the mids and highs...

Hello Dan

I did a quick spray coat to see what they would look like. Still need lots of finish work but they are just fine for now. I need to finish the networks and take some measurements to see how they look.

In fact, that is something I REALLY like about your approach.. the separate cabinet for the mids and highs...
    I have been taking about doing this for a while now, I already have two other HF heads in the works. I really want to get these up and running though. I am curious to see how they sound.

Hello Widget

I don't know about Piano Black. Seems like a very unforgiving finish of the substrate. These are just a quick black spray and it shows up every thing. Have you done that finish??

Rob

I don't know about Piano Black. Seems like a very unforgiving finish of the substrate. These are just a quick black spray and it shows up every thing. Have you done that finish??

Rob
    Piano Black is NOT easy. You need to seal and sand several times. Then comes layers of color, lightly sanded. Then I would suggest a few coats of Polyurethane to give depth. It is tedious. Beautiful when done right.

Thread Information