Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Drivers 244x Type 5 or 7, Diaph. interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    **now I see what the question is/was**

It should be noted that the alnico 2441 was "updated" to the 2445 BUT the phase plug geometry was kept the same. Some early 2445's had the bakelite 2441 phase plug - I worked for a dealer and was installing a lot of them during the changeover. Later they were ( and still are ) made of cast / machined metal alloy.

WHEN JBL updated the 2445 ( to the 2446 ), and created the new Nd magnets ( and 1.5" exit models ), the phase plug geometry was *improved* and the diaphram became *ribbed* so BOTH of these variables need to be taken into account when comparing apples to oranges to banana's.

This would be the 2446, 2447, 2450. Note that these ALL HAD THE SAME DIAPHRAM...

This is / was noted in the press releases, cut sheets and catalogs but are of course subject to the JBL "printed typo" effect. No amount of data sheet reading and graph interpolation will substitute for actual measurements.

Currently ( and for some time ) JBL coats the smooth Ti daiphram ( D8R2445 ) with aquaplas ( and becomes the D8R2450SL ) that seems to dampen some of the perceived "harshness" and this is what is used in the DMS-1 studio monitors, ARRAY series touring boxes, Early K2's and a host of other high ticket install and touring products.

Some on this site have suggested coating the older aluminum dia's but I have not tried that. However every single 4" coil HF driver I use ( and the few 1" Ti's ) has a coated dia installed - even my 2440's in the living room...

My portable cabinets have the 2226G, 2452 with 2450SL and they are the best 2 ways I have ever had / used. Smooth, clear and have plenty of oomph even when hit hard.

See?? clear as mud. And yes - ANY 4" driver can use any dia except for the phenolic 2482/85 or the 2490. They will fit and not hurt your phaseplug...the gaps and clearances are compatible.

Kan ich haben zwei beriren bitte?

Thank you!-buggered if I could understand now I can(the question if not the attitude;-)
    So... rather than buy 2441 dias recently would I have been better off (from a sound quality pov)going for some 2450SL's for my 2397 horns?
    Cheers
    Cooky

would I have been better off (from a sound quality pov)going for some 2450SL's for my 2397 horns?

Hi,

one more question. Could I (not me personal) apply that famous aquaplas to a common 2445 diaphragm? May be on a ribbed 2447 dia too?

One more statement. The 2445 on EVs HP940 does not sound harsh at all. Compared to the driver intended to use with this horn. Repeated, may be people try to use the 2380 horn to low with the 2445. The HP940 is significant larger. I cross over at 600Hz with no regret for home use. I haven't got the 2380 to compare directly.

A final anecdote: I bought my 2445/2360 combos from a rubbish manager at US forces in this old Germany. They as ten have been on a lorry to be thrown away already. Cinema inventory, You know. The facility must have been an educational one: "How to protect Your ears while nukeing"

Klar! Koelsh, Pilsener, Alt, Lager, Export, Weisse, Schwarz, Budweiser, DAB? Or do You aim for somthing really special ... prost!

Sauerkraut

Maron Horonzakz
    You can use the 2450SL diaphrams in any Of the large 2" drivers if you like,,,Except the 2482

run the numbers dano...

A coated 2446 ( ribbed ) is the D8R2450SL-1 and yes it will fit

Yet another example of the funny numbering system that has evolved at JBL.

I have coated the 2445 16ohm dia's I have here for use in the large JBL home and studio monitor restorations since jbl does NOT have them on the pro price list availability - just the 8's.

I use them because the original 2441 diaphram is (A) friggin EXPENSIVE, (B) rarely found used in good condition and (C) will eventually crack or warp because it is after all aluminum. Otherwise I would use them and actually prefer to.

Here is a picture of (4) drivers rescued from a closed club - and on the way to the dumpster. All had 2445 diaphrams ( good ) in them and only one had a very minor throat crack.

The cost was appox one tank of premium gas so you see the economics of finding the 2445 dia's and 'plassing them.

Unfortunately those "funny horns with the fins" got bent so they were scrapped....damn fools..

sub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information