Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers 244x Type 5 or 7, Diaph. interchangeable?

Drivers 244x Type 5 or 7, Diaph. interchangeable?

Hi,

I've got pairs of drivers of the a/m types. I wonder why #5 on Electro Voice HP940 is more flat in the upper range than #7 on JBLs 235x. Most prominent the type #7 shows a dip @ 10kHz. It could be equalized without worsening THD - but a question comes up: Are the diaphragms interchangeable 1) without damage 2) with benefit then?

Someone somewhere claimed sometimes that the ribs on the #6 & #7 dias were the reason for harsh sound. The flat version as in the elder designs has to be considered superior. Whatever audio people say - o/k, wasn't it #5 to be the worst driver ever made?! What about unnatural genetic engineering to create an extramundane beast in transplanting the bad to the ugly and vice versa?

I appreciate Your advice.

was ?

What post?
    What graph?
    When?
    What models?
    Did you use the search function?
    Did you look at JBL.com?

No clue what you are talking about.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    What post?
    What graph?
    When?
    What models?
    Did you use the search function?
    Did you look at JBL.com?

No clue what you are talking about.

sub
    Hi,

Sorry that You ain't able to answer my question without asking me for the answer Yourself. It's a question regarding the top octave of the spectrum, Subwoof. Nevertheless , thank You 8-)

0) which post?
    1) the specs of the forementioned drivers
    2) at time of publication
    3) modelnumbers 244[5, 6, 7]
    4) Sure!
    5) Sure!

Can diaphragma of model 244-7 be replaced with dia of model 244-5 against the straight recommendation of the supplier? Without damage due to different clearance to the phase plug pp.

Thanks again

J.

It is unlikely anybody here knows or gives a whit how any JBL driver performs on an EV horn.

Same for whatever "someone, somewhere" says or said about any of it.

Compare responses on PWT:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2445J.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2446.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2447.pdf

On the same 2380 biradial horn, 2446 would appear to be flatter than 2445 above 10 kHz, if that's your region of interest.

2446 through 2451 all take the 2450 diaphragm.

I believe you'll find the "SL" version is not ribbed, and has Aquaplas damping:

As was suggested by one member, it may in fact be a coated 2445 diaphragm.

See also:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...313#post185313

If you want to put a 2445 diaphragm in a 2446 or 2447, I WILL guarantee it's not going to smash the phase plug....

It is unlikely anybody here knows or gives a whit how any JBL driver performs on an EV horn.
    If you want to put a 2445 diaphragm in a 2446 or 2447, I WILL guarantee it's not going to smash the phase plug....

O/k,

So You claim the phaseplug really would withstand the dia. I take this reassurance as a personal suretyship, Zilch.

On the other hand the 2445 performs pretty well on the HP940. It's for the patented finns in the throat, I asume. The response is ruler flat from ~600Hz to 15kHz with just a little dip around 10kHz (-6dB/oct. CD-loss compensated). Just sounds fine.

Did anyone find the second harmonic peak @ 7kHz for the newer ribbed aquaplazed cousin due to the 14kHz resonance? I've got a pair that behaves quite different in that. One dia is more brownish and lesser resonant than the other. But - before I ask more silly questions I'll work through the hithero output in this forum. It seems as a science of its own.

Thanks

Maron Horonzakz

humor, american style

Apparently the phase plug humor escaped you... Mein schlect.

And if you had used the search function fully, you would of found many posts on diaphram interchangeability.

ALL 4" coil JBL diaphrams are interchangeable with each other **EXCEPT** the 2482 / 2485 phenolic and the 2390 Ti since they have unique gaps and mounting provisions.

But moving them around will not be an exact science since different driver generations have different phaseplugs ( you have to search for that too ).
    There are people on this forum who have worked on hundreds if not thousands of these things.

In addition the variations of diaphrams are listed too - again if you have a ribbed, coated titanium it is the D8R2451SL and was used in the last version of the DMS-1 and in the current "A" model Array ( pro touring ).

Consumer use?? WTFK

Rumor has it that Harman-japan has 16 ohm versions of both smooth and ribbed Ti in their products but searching through all that lit is time consuming since you can't order it anyways without jumping thru hoops, Quixotic.

The part number for the 2445 dia is 61435 and for the 2450SL it's 61435-06

So you can wonder what the -1-2-3-4-5 variations were and unless you actually GET one, measure it and compare with others at the same time, it's only pure speculation.

And also, we do not do ev here...

sub

Apparently the phase plug humor escaped you...
    And also, we do not do ev here...

Hi,

The browser ate my reply in the first place. So to make it short, I've got the humor. I'm convinced that the taboo about <no-no> is not born from fear of comparison.

I appreceate Your advice, thanks a lotT

no taboo

There is no "taboo" but if you want to talk about EV products, go to an EV forum.

Do you go to a mercedes dealership for porche parts??

Go to Otoberfest and comment on how fine coors is??

Just trying to explain that this is a pretty narrow forum and very few members have experience with both.

The ones that have, and are here, have decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Ti Dome's master of the bizarre response here; I am a mere intern:

Smash the radio
    (No outside voices here)
    Smash the watch
    (Cannot tear the day to shreds)
    Smash the camera
    (Cannot steal away the spirits)
    The rhythm is around me
    The rhythm has control
    The rhythm is inside me
    The rhythm has my soul
    Peter Gabriel, The Rhythm of the Heat

Go to Otoberfest and comment on how fine coors is??

Hi,

As You mention Germany by Octoberfest we have a lot of people here who dislike the 244-5. It is said to be ... . <no-no, this time from Italy> were better so common wisdom holds. But for me 244-5 in midsize <no-no> horn does better than the younger JBL cousin in the most recent but now outdated midsize horn of JBL provenience.

To be short again, not to be blinkered could help sometimes. What if the 238x horns are cut off to low regularly and the driver is blamed for it? Not many people have testified the 244-5 on an appropriate large waveguide.

Ehm, from what can an aquaplazed dia distinguished from one without - color? What might be a prominent difference between aftermarket and JBL dias? Does anyone have experience with 244-7 regarding the 7kHz peak in 2nd h/d? Is it expected to vary strongly with production lot?

I don' t take it 2 serious

too many

too many questions that have been debated before ad nauseum. read every post on this site, then make an opinion. or better yet, ask someone who knows someone somewhere - they are the real experts...

So, 2445 plays well on other brand horns.

Cool.

Was there something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Was there something else?
    Yes, but I now know why I wasn't satisfied with the dia-thread dating from 2005 to 2007.

Never mind

Maron Horonzakz

Thread Information