Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last pair of JBL's I'm gonna buy (for now...) <8^)

Regis

Thumbs up The last pair of JBL's I'm gonna buy (for now...) <8^)

The SoCal Craigslist Lotto paid off yesterday. Scanning the OC Craigslist and typing in JBL, an ad for a pair of 4315's popped up and my adrenaline level just jumped. The pair looked like in excellent condition and the seller was asking $400. They had walnut cabs and the grills and nameplates were on it. The ad just got posted, so the vast army of Search Bots of JBL Ebay'rs didn't catch it yet, but I did!

I was on the phone within seconds and made the deal, got four fresh C-notes and was on the freeway within a half hour. Gawd, was I excited. I've been wanting a decent pair of 4-ways for a long time and add to that, a pair in the legendary JBL Blue. I love my L-300's, but to have a pair of nice four ways is good too.

I got there and I know they weigh about a 100 pounds or so, but it was still surprising how big these guys were. The cabs were in excellent condition with no water damage on top and only a couple of small knicks. The grills were in great shape with only a dust build-up on the upper beveled edges. I circled the pair in the middle of the living room and the paper tags were still on the back. They are not bi-ampable as equiped, but that's fine with me. I pulled the grills off and sure enough, the surrounds on the woofer and the midrange suffered the usual surround rot and shreds of foam laid in the bottom of the grills. The serial numbers were sequential as well. I hid my elation carefully and handed over four franklins for them.

Apparently, the seller was a young man in his early twenties and they were his Dad's speakers. He helped me load them up in the Focus Wagon and I drove home with that JBL high, that comes from scoring an excellent deal! They are not going on Ebay. They are not getting parted out. They are mine!

Getting them home I had a bud help me carry them in. The 4315's are taller than my L-300's and nearly just as wide! They are a big pair of speak's! They are not as deep, but aren't that far from it either. I hooked them up to the vintage ESS Eclipse Amplifier (the L-300's are running off the Perreaux) and I put on the recent digitally remaster of the Eagles 'Hotel California' and punched in the first track on the Sony CD-Pro player. Moderate volume level here, just want to try them out.

The deep and warm bass of the first guitar note filled the room and even with most of the foam missing, they sounded very detailed and clean. The girlfriend kind of freaked on how big they were and I had to promise that I'm not going to bring any more big speakers home! She even made me sign a promissary note! But I added that if I sold the two pairs (L-300's and 4315's), I could bring a new pair home (read Array or 4343, or 44 or even 45...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice work...need more pics.

je

Cool!
    Paying debt to Karma...

"and I drove home with that JBL high, that comes from scoring an excellent deal!"

These things are like crack ina box.
    We'll need JBLAnonymous soon!
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Excellent score Regis, congrats! Johnaec has a lot of experience with the 4315 and I'm sure would be willing to give you a hand with getting them dialed in. Since you are in SoCal, keep Edgewound in mind for the surround job, he does excellent work!

Again, congrats!

Mark
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Great deal. I would love to have a pair of those. Never seen them in the flesh, but they seem very nicely proportioned.
    Enjoy.
    PS Is the GF a lawyer?

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    Excellent score Regis, congrats! Johnaec has a lot of experience with the 4315 and I'm sure would be willing to give you a hand with getting them dialed in. Since you are in SoCal, keep Edgewound in mind for the surround job, he does excellent work!

Again, congrats!

Mark
    Thanks all! And I will get in touch with Johnaec and Edgewound. I also tracked your recent SVA acquisition and I've always wanted a pair of those (especially after Ti-Dome rants on and on, on how great they are), but the GF would kill me!

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    but the GF would kill me!
    There are plenty more girls in the world. But, like JBLs, the good ones at the right price seem to be kind of scarce! Keep working on her. And remember, it's easier sometimes to ask for forgiveness than permission.

-married for 27 years . . . to the same woman!

Hey Regis,

Nice Score!! You must have had quite a drive from Palmdale to the OC where these were - usually about 2 hours?

We need to start a 4315 club here as I had a pair delivered a couple of weeks ago from Utah. Yours have the grille logo/labels and mine don't. Drivers sound like they are in the same condition and you will find Edgewound's prices to be very agreeable for repairs to these drivers.

Show us a few pics with the grilles off.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Here's the thread on mine.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...hlight=4315%2A

I would assume from your pic and description they look pretty similar. Do yours have the A letter on the end of the serial number?

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Regis

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Hey Regis,

Nice Score!! You must have had quite a drive from Palmdale to the OC where these were - usually about 2 hours?

We need to start a 4315 club here as I had a pair delivered a couple of weeks ago from Utah. Yours have the grille logo/labels and mine don't. Drivers sound like they are in the same condition and you will find Edgewound's prices to be very agreeable for repairs to these drivers.

Show us a few pics with the grilles off.

Bart
    Thanks! And yes, the drive was relatively traffic free on I-5 and the 55 and I made it in 2 hrs (good guess!). 2 hours back too! Just good timing. I had just taken pics last night, and hope to post them soon. I checked out your thread and mine are in very similiar shape. You scored good too! Aren't they beautiful? Last night, I ran them carefully and I really was amazed at how tight, crisp and solid they sound.

I love my L-300's but the problem with a three way, is that the woofer has to do that job of covering the lower mid-range, while covering the bass too. I notice that with the 4315's, while listening to very familiar smooth jazz CD's, such as the Bob James Trio, the 4315 reproduces the piano details much more faithfully. The 2405 midrange has no problem with laying back, that's for sure! The bass (even with rotted surrounds) is surprisingly fast and well-defined. I love these speakers! The four drivers seem to trade off the frequencies they cover seamlessly.

The JBL Gods definitely have smiled on the both of us!

PS: Mine have the "A" at the end of the SN too...

Congrats Regis!
    Great deal, the Gods have definitely smiled down on you my friend.
    When's the next batch of pictures coming?

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

I just don't get finds like these here in the Midwest! Great job!

Regis
    Yep, Craigslist is good, but it wasn't easy. Even out here, you'd better be ready to leave work immediately and call within minutes! Last Friday, I drove to Upland to drop off the woofers and mid-basses for refoaming by Edgewound. It was a pleasure finally meeting Ken and I must've stayed there for an easy hour or more. Sure learned a lot!

Also, I have to fess up and confess that I was wrong about the L-300's. Playing them together (and they play well together), the 4315's midbass and midrange were noticeably louder than the big Summits. In fact, the L-300's sounded kind of dead compared to the 4315's (except for the low end and the big 15's go really low).

After dropping off the speakers, I only had the L-300's to listen to. I pulled the grills and sat back and was listening to them and of course, looking at the label, which has the speaker adjustment control. A little voice in my head said "Hey Stupid! Yah, you! I'm talking to you! Those are speaker adjustments idiot! You can adjust them as you please" I got up and turned up the present and brilliance a few notches and you can guess the results. Suddenly, the L-300's were performing on-par with what I thought the 4315's were. The sparkle and shine was there. The detail was there! No $hit sherlock. I felt like a dumb-a$$ for disrespecting the big beasts on this forum, so please accept my apologies.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to picking up the 4315 drivers this Friday. I cleaned the grills yesterday and they are mint! I can hardly wait.

I think you are supposed to do it the other way, lowering the mids and highs on the 4315, according to Greg Timbers himself:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&postcount=12

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    The 4315 requires that the HF and UHF L-Pads be turned down considerably below the "0" setting or the system is too bright.

Thread Information