Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vBulletin® Version 3.7.0 ,,, Update ( Really ) ?

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    Still looks the same, but then I don't see that I've been added anywhere.
    - I've just rechecked , you've been added to my PM list .

I'll "friend" you and see if that changes anything. (The message "Earl K has not made any friends yet" looks so pathetic!)
    - Yeh , that's me , pathetic

- I got the notification re; a pending request for your "Friendship" .
    - As will continue to be the norm for my situation, that request has been denied . This is because I have no idea what it means ( internet security wise ) to create a gaggle of linkable "Friends" . It's nothing personal / though you are now on my PM list which is where these "requests" end-up .

Earl K

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    This is what comes up when selecting "View Profile" on my Mac with Firefox (tempting, isn't it?:
    This is the default page. I also had to click the "Contact page". Sorry if I was not clear on that point.

I have no idea why vBulletin has made this change, nor do I wish to defend this decision. My point was that you still can send private messages.

I guess vBulletin is made for a younger audience (at least younger than the participants in this thread...), with other preferences and personal standards to privacy.

This also shows that you must be very aware of which buttons you click, and read carefully the small print since many of your actions are rather permanent.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Hi

Clicking on anyone's user name still brings up the drop-down menu with the Private Message choice. You have to select "view public profile" to even get to the Visitor Message option and even then selecting the contact tab gives you both the PM and VM option. Anyone visiting another's profile page and leaving a visitor message should realize it will be displayed on that profile page. Like most v-bulletin options, I'm sure this one could be disabled is the list owners so decides.
    - I missed this post / ( & I've left out the linkable code ) .

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    ,,,snip

I have no idea why vBulletin has made this change, nor do I wish to defend this decision. My point was that you still can send private messages.

I guess vBulletin is made for a younger audience (at least younger than the participants in this thread...), with other preferences and personal standards to privacy.

This also shows that you must be very aware of which buttons you click, and read carefully the small print since many of your actions are rather permanent.
    - Yep, progress .
    - Okay, I'm done ( for now ). Thanks to all who helped shine the proverbial big flashlight onto this subject .

<> EarlK

The internets are for the YOUNG - not old fogies like us who actually care about privacy and such!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello All

Any of you want those messages deleted?? Just so you know even if you delete them we, meaning Super Mods and Admins can still read them. They are like a regular post so no Privacy like a PM. Welcome to the AIM croud.

Rob

Go to your user control panel ("User CP"), select the "Edit Options" page and scroll down to this Visitor Messaging area. Turn on or off the options that suit you. Turn everything off if you don't want it to operate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    As will continue to be the norm for my situation, that request has been denied. T It's nothing personal / though you are now on my PM list which is where these "requests" end-up .
    No offense taken; I was gonna dump you, too, after our noble experiment!

BTW: The Mods removed my references to "surprise" Visitor messages examples and the links to them in my previous message. Good call on their part and I certainly approve and intended no ill-will in pointing them out. I figured those who weren't aware of the public nature of their Visitor's Messages would certainly remove them once they found out. Thanks to Earl K for bringing this up in the first place. However, the Mods also removed my admonishment for everyone to check their profile and see if they've any Visitors posts hanging around by accident they'd rather not have public, so I'll repeat it here:

EVERYONE: Check your profile to make sure you don't have any Visitor messages on your page that you'd rather not have in public view!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    EVERYONE: Check your profile to make sure you don't have any Visitor messages on your page that you'd rather not have in public view!
    Such as spammers taking liberty at using this to post spam links as this seems like a common place for them now! So always check your (visitor message) daily for any spam messages.

Thread Information