Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vBulletin® Version 3.7.0 ,,, Update ( Really ) ?

vBulletin® Version 3.7.0 ,,, Update ( Really ) ?

Hi All,

Does this latest update affect anyone else in the following way(s) ?

(i) The removal of the ability to up load any ( & all ) attachment(s) ?

- I suppose this most likely applies to myself only & is the penalty that I must pay ( for using an outdated Microsoft browser on an old Mac )

(ii) The new messaging system called ( something like ) "Visitor Messages" allows the membership to read each others messages ( assuming they weren't initially sent throught the older "PM" ) routes .

- Are these "Visitor" type of messages viewable by any others ? ( or has my older browser unwittingly hacked into others private messaging domains ? )

- If this ( sharing of message content to all members ) is the new norm, then I need to challenge the notion that we need an additional messaging system that's seemingly patterned on the semi-public "FaceBook" model ( & implemented by the dept of Homeland Security ) .
    - Yes, this is an "Orwellian" concern ( for this older dude ) who still maintains a healthy mistrust of the man ( the government ) .

- One thought ; change the name of this new messaging type to something less prone to "doublespeak" and the resultant entrapment of the trusting .

<> Earl K

I'm on an old G4 PowerMac with Mozilla - seems I can still upload images (I use Firefox)

What version of the OS do you run - are you using OSX ?
    Get a copy of Firefox for the MAC, or use the Safari browser for the MAC
    IE 5.x for the MAC is BADLY outdated, unsupported and frankly, a security nightmare (no patches will ever be created!)
    the current version of IE for the PC is Version 7 & MS is working on IE8 - IE5 should be DELETED from your machine,
    or at the least, NEVER LAUNCHED AGAIN

PMs still work for private member to member comments, not sure about the Visitor messages ...
    replied to one from Scott before I knew what it was ...

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi All,

Does this latest update affect anyone else in the following way(s) ?
    (i) The removal of the ability to up load any ( & all ) attachment(s) ?
    - I suppose this most likely applies to myself only & is the penalty that I must pay ( for using an outdated Microsoft browser on an old Mac )
    (ii) The new messaging system called ( something like ) "Visitor Messages" allows the membership to read each others messages ( assuming they weren't initially sent throught the older "PM" ) routes .
    <> Earl K
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Earl

(i) uploading: My guess is that the problem is on your side, since there have been lots of uploading since the upgrade.

The computer/software upgrade race (with backward compatibility issues) are just one of the things we have to get used to....

(ii) Visitor / Private messages: The visitor messages are a new feature. The private messages are not affected by the new feature.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    (ii) Visitor / Private messages: The visitor messages are a new feature. The private messages are not affected by the new feature.
    Johnny, when you click on your own name ( & your User Profile Contact Page loads ), what do you see ?

- When I do this , I see a page that's laid out in such a way ( with all the options ) thats looks to be formatted to encourage me to message using only the "Visitor Messaging" route .

- "PM" messaging options don't appear whatsoever on this "contact page".
    ( I'll take some screen shots if you want / turn them into .jpgs for you to post / if you want to PM me an actual email address )

- I'd be curious to see others "primary contact page" & their layout / if someone wants to go the same route of publishing similar screen-shots .

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    I'm on an old G4 PowerMac with Mozilla - seems I can still upload images (I use Firefox)

What version of the OS do you run - are you using OSX ?
    Get a copy of Firefox for the MAC, or use the Safari browser for the MAC
    IE 5.x for the MAC is BADLY outdated, unsupported and frankly, a security nightmare (no patches will ever be created!)
    the current version of IE for the PC is Version 7 & MS is working on IE8 - IE5 should be DELETED from your machine,
    or at the least, NEVER LAUNCHED AGAIN
    - I understand your concerns over IE5 / & it's lousy security ( & therefore ,,, ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    PMs still work for private member to member comments, not sure about the Visitor messages ...
    replied to one from Scott before I knew what it was ...
    - I don't understand why you're non-plussed over the issue of others reading emails that weren't intended by the author for others to view .

- ie;
    (1) Was that "Scott" email meant to be private or not ?

(2) Before the reply to your reply / Had you thought the initial message was addressed to you ?

(3) Do you think he unwittingly published this into a semi-Public domain ?

(4) Do you think we should have a software system that encourages members to make lapses of their own personal security ?

We're on all Macs at my house and to be honest I never noticed a change and have no idea what you're talking about with respect to the messaging. I, too, would recommend Firefox, with a slight reservation due to it's inability to handle PDFs within the browser. The newest Safari (3.x) actually works very well and I've not had any problem with incompatibility with any sites, but I believe it requires OS 10.4 or 10.5 to update Safari beyond v.2. Safari also handles PDFs just fine within the browser window. As long as you don't mind downloading every PDF you want to view, Firefox on the Mac is fine. How old an operating system are you running and on what version Mac? Sometimes users of old Macs prefer Mozilla's Camino browser, if you're running at least OS 10.3.9. Check it out here: http://caminobrowser.org/

Johnny, when you click on your own name ( & your User Profile Contact Page loads ), what do you see ?
    - I'd be curious to see others "primary contact page" & their layout / if someone wants to go the same route of publishing similar screen-shots .
    I see the VM option now. Can't say what I'd think if you hadn't already described what it does but it appears to me to be only a way to have a "greeting" message appear on you profile page and to have a "guest book" format visible in your profile. I doubt I'd mistake it for a PM path and it appears I have control over what shows up there and what does not. But I could be wrong!

Clicking on anyone's user name still brings up the drop-down menu with the Private Message choice. You have to select "view public profile" to even get to the Visitor Message option and even then selecting the contact tab gives you both the PM and VM option. Anyone visiting another's profile page and leaving a visitor message should realize it will be displayed on that profile page. Like most v-bulletin options, I'm sure this one could be disabled is the list owners so decides.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    We're on all Macs at my house and to be honest I never noticed a change and have no idea what you're talking about with respect to the messaging.,,,,,,,,,
    snip,,,,,,, Check it out here: http://caminobrowser.org/
    - Thanks for the link .

- Your personal computing habits may be formatted in such a way that you haven't noticed the change ( or , it doesn't exist on your platform ) .

- An example; typically, if I want to PM someone I click on their name ( as found somewhere on a relevant post ) such as the author of said post ( etc. ) / when that contact page opens I'm now presented with a Visitor Messaging "texting box" / as well as some links to recent Visitor Messages this person may have received ( from other members ) .

- ( To maintain the privacy of others ) I no longer take this route ( shortcut ) to create a PM message ( since I really don't want to read messages that weren't addressed to me ) .

- Maybe this concept of messaging voyeurism doesn't bother others enough for it to be an issue / I guess we'll see what washes out .

- I understand your concerns over IE5 / & it's lousy security ( & therefore ,,, ) .

- I don't understand why you're non-plussed over the issue of others reading emails that weren't intended by the author for others to view .

- ie;
    (1) Was that "Scott" email meant to be private or not ?

(2) Before the reply to your reply / Had you thought the initial message was addressed to you ?

(3) Do you think he unwittingly published this into a semi-Public domain ?

(4) Do you think we should have a software system that encourages members to make lapses of their own personal security ?

Actually, I was able to delete Scott's mail to me and my mail on the "welcome Message" screen today. I was unsure of the system at the time when I replied to him, but, I didn't leave any sensitive info there then - basically I try to be cautious about ANYTHING posted anywhere online ... nothing is REALLY private online ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Earl

When I open your profile, contact page I get the possibility to send you a PM. This should be the case if the member have enabled PM's.

I have attached a picture of how your page is viewed to me.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    - basically I try to be cautious about ANYTHING posted anywhere online ...
    That is a very good advice Heather.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ... nothing is REALLY private online ...
    True.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thanks Johnny !

- That's different from what I see . I realize this is probably editable for most users .

- See my reply to BMWCCA as to why I no longer click on users names to initiate the process of sending PM messages .

<> EarlK

This is what comes up when selecting "View Profile" on my Mac with Firefox (tempting, isn't it?:

Hi BMWCCA

Thanks for making my point ( about being tempted into posting semi-public messages ) .

Perhaps if you were added onto my PM list, the default Visitor Texting Window wouldn't open up & then it might look like Johnnys' window .

Give me a moment to add you to my list & then reopen my Contact Page ( or whatever it's called ) .

<> Earl K

Okay you're added !

Still looks the same, but then I don't see that I've been added anywhere.

I'll "friend" you and see if that changes anything. (The message "Earl K has not made any friends yet" looks so pathetic!)

Thread Information