Thread: Hammond Novachord Restoration - early synth

Hammond Novachord Restoration - early synth

Check this rebuild project and the synth sound bites out:

http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/nova/intro.htm

My Dad used to work for Hammond in Chicago. He also owned a Hammond C2 with a Leslie. It tore me up when he gave it to his deceased 2nd wife's children only because he was moving and had no time or way to sell it. I am sure some rock bands would have loved to get it.

I am ordering this guys CD and printing the whole web site as a 84th birthday present for my Dad.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Wow, Very intresting.

I thought my 1959 Hammond M3 was a nightmare under the hood but this makes it look simple

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wow, Very intresting.

I thought my 1959 Hammond M3 was a nightmare under the hood but this makes it look simple
    Yup. Kinda makes any recapping, rebuilding project I might ever take on look simple in comparison.

Lar

Excellent read and fantastic sounding for that era or even today. What a fantastic restoration achievment!

Actually, every drawbar Hammond is a "synthesizer." The Hammond concept is to use sine waves at various frequencies/overtones relative to each other mixed in various proportions to construct more complex wave-forms. The user sets the relative frequencies and proportions to create the desired sound so essentually synthesizes the final product.

Truly a labor of love. This man must've spent hundreds of hours of labor and thousands of dollars assembling the component. This project is not for those "faint of heart."

Thanks for the link. I studied electronic music in college back in the day and this synth came up but I'd never gotten a chance to get a peek under the hood.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Laurens Hammond was a true innovative genius in his day. Being a Hammond organ owner/collector I was truly amazed to learn about some of the things he invented. The synchronous 60hz. motor..(the key to the Hammond organ's tuning stability..)automatic automotive transmissions, and 3-D glasses ,to name a few...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    Thanks for the link. I studied electronic music in college back in the day and this synth came up but I'd never gotten a chance to get a peek under the hood.

Bob
    I've some books on early synths but had never heard about the Novachord before; after the Theremin but way before Buchla's and Moog's first keyboard synths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Buchla

Lar

Thread Information