Thread: Compression driver for center HT?

Compression driver for center HT?

OK, so I'm very picky about sound reproduction systems, in particular loudspeakers. After using a few home versions of availible center speakers (Klipsch, JBL, Bose, Premier Acustic, etc.), I am disappointed with the sound quality of these units.

My current thinking would be to use a commerically available compression driver and moderate sized horn (for example, from JBL or Altec) as a center speaker in a higher-end home theater.

I'm assuming the center audio material includes mid-range and HF sources without much (any??) LF sound. If this is correct, a compression driver for the center channel should be a vast improvement; right?

Take a look at coaxial drivers that use compression drivers. There are several out there. I use a vintage Urei/JBL coax for my center. You need to get down into the 60hz range or so depending on your crossover points and bass management.

Rob

robertbartsch

For my center, I use a vintage Altec 802 driver, 811 horn and 803 woofer.
    It is in a homebuilt black walnut cabinet from the '50's. I just put my TV right on it. Not the prettiest or highest WAF, but functional.
    If I had a coaxial like Robh3606 uses, I would probably use that.
    I also aree with having the ability to reach the 60hz range, at least.

I have tried and used other speakers for the center. To me they just don't sound as good or exhilarating.

Maui Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I use a 2344/2426H flanked by two E120's.
    I don't need it to go too low as they are Between two 4546C's that handle 100 HZ and down.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

hosee
    I use a 2440/077/2202 in a home built box. Great sound for a center.

Center channel compression driver

I have a pair of L-300's in home built cabinets for my front and left channels in my home theater setup. I bought a Klipsch 64 II reference for a center channel as it was touted for excellent dialogue. HA. the jbl sides do far better if I just tell the receiver there is no center channel. So much for my $1200 Klipsch!!
    I still need a different speaker for center as I would like the image localization apparent across the full width of the room, not mainly on centerline like for the stereo pair. I do have a couple of large jbl 2345 horns one of which with a driver would nicely fit in the cabinet shelf just below the tv as a center channel. I just bought (do not have yet) a 16 ohm 2461 driver with phenolitic diaphragm to try with one 2345 horn but need a crossover to protect the driver from low frequency and possibly a pair or a single driver for under 500 cps.
    The side horns/drivers are the old L-300 JBL LE 85's with lenses and 800 cps length. The 2345 horns I have are 3 bolt 1 inch entrance throat with a horizontal horn flare of 28 inches and vertical flare of 4 inches with a depth of 16 inches. They are apparently meant for crossover at 800 cps but the drivers may extend down to 500 cps. Would such work well between the l-300's to center the vocal info for the room sides seating? I could just use the parametric eq of the receiver for the center channel to cut the low end to protect the compression driver or maybe just a couple of good capacitors. I can also set the front information below 160 cps to be diverted to the subs and front mains. The 2345's would easily stand much more power than I could take in the room so extending them down to 500cps or so should not harm them. I do not have plans to put in mid bass drivers for this center channel but that would also be an option.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Bill Shenefelt; 12-05-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added some info

For the center channel, the most important thing is vocal intelligability. You need to add the slot tweeter or you loose some of this..., and it is noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    For the center channel, the most important thing is vocal intelligability. You need to add the slot tweeter or you loose some of this..., and it is noticable.
    I have an old 075 bullet tweeter with new diaphragm I was going to use. Unfortunately my 72 year old hearing is very lossy above about 8000 cps. I would sure like to try a JBL 375 with horn if I can find a horn at a reasonable cost, not $800+ for the horn alone. It may however require me to build a bigger LF box and driver for the efficiency needed to keep up to the 375 output. An alternative may be to get another LE 85 with horn and lens to assure it will voice like the front left and right channels. Just that the legend of the 375 sure sounds attractive for explosive theater sound tracks!! The bass is cut off at 60 to 80 cps rolling to of a pair of SVS cylinder 13 ultra subs with sealed box alignment. I was never able to get my 8 cu ft boxed jbl 18 inch sub to add reasonably to my main stereo. I think too many crossovers, like cooks, spoil the broth. At least this was true for my music system. Did not sound cohesive with the sub, was better with just the LE 136A drivers in the 6 cu ft enclosures. May well have been the ported phase shifts being atr different tuned frequencies fought. The SVS subs sound good on the theater end of the room for movies though.

The 075 won't do it. It puts a dip right where intelligability is focused..., and right where your hearing falls off accentuating that dip.

My center is a tad more unique. I have a 128 in a tuned enclosure with a pair of LE5's and a 2405. Sounds pretty good if I may say so.

Allan.

May need to find an 077 I guess.
    I can always try the 077 versus the 075 since I have 4 of the 077's in my system. Funny, I can barely hear the 077's in my two systems unless I put my ear within a couple of inches from the throat. . Sibilants are beyond my recognition too eg, deaf=death for my ears. I have a pr of hearing aides but also have Sweetpea, our blue crown conure who lets us live here with him. With my hearing aids on he can drill a hole right thru my head if he yells so I rarely use them. ! The 2461 arrived today. gotta try it and see if it works.
    I may just stick it on the big horn and put the le85 wires to it to see what it sounds like. the le85's are 8 ohms but I should still get some idea about how the 2461 sounds like with an 077 and a 136A
    refresh my memory are le5's the little 4 or 5 inch mid cone? 2405 a slot?

Thread Information