Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

There's a pair of 2360A w/adapters on US Ebay right now. Getting them to Europe would be a trick.

Olympus + 2360a

So, I will start my project, even though I am too busy at work and rebuilding my house.
    At least now I have all the drivers and cabinets:
    JBL Olympus, two pairs of 2225 woofers, 3115A x-overs, 2445 drivers on 2360a horns.

I just need to make new baffles and find a way to calculate the ports for two 2225 in one cabinet. they seem to be around 225 litres internal volume.
    The Olympus almost look small under the 2360a horns
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Now that is work of art its so sexy looking for a horn it gives me the horn just looking at the horn. Are you playing these softly in the room you don’t need to play them loud not in such close proximity those things have rating of I think its 130db? a modest 85 to 90 would be cool but its your system and your ears.

vertical or horizontal?

I came to think of this: On the 2360a the adaptor slots are vertical and the horns have HF roll off when the listener moves up and down vertically.

On my H3100 horns (from S3100) the adaptor slots are horizontal......

Could this be because the 2360a are made for long distance listening where H3100 was made for home use? Should we perhaps listen to the 2360a turned on its side for home use?

also my 2350 horns are horizontal

hey verner, looks great!
    and no, the olympus are just the right size it seems.
    hope you can peek a listen to them soon --please let us know then.
    about the vertical/horizontal dispersion thing: i was thinking about thinking about it. if it wouldnt sound so good already, i would have already tried it out, but manouvering those things on my appartment isnt very easy....when i have more time left i will start to get really into it.

the man with the spl-meter didnt come -next week then.

cheers,
    mikey

today we listeneded to my rig and watched the spl meter: average listening volumes about 85 dBC, with nice material like weather report slightly over 9o dBC, all in slow rating.
    of course it didnt feel loud at all.

cheers,
    mikey

about loudness--
    just to let you know, today i paid a visit to a friend who just recently finished his klipschorn + 1o" midbass +coaxial driven (bms) horn system, managed digitally and beeing tri-amped.
    we really kicked it, and at the end of the day we had 128dBC (slow) on the clock, about 2,5meters away from the speakers (listening position).
    giant earthmover. big fun.
    this is about as far as can go with high volumes i guess, without feeling uncomfortable. my ears are alright, no ringing or cottonball feeling (of course i take care!).

cheers,
    mikey

These horns are awesome!

After a long search, I finally got a pair of 2360's in the house, and thought I would join this thread.

These horns are really awesome. I am now listening to them togheter with 2235's in 5 cu.ft reflex boxes, 400 Hz passive crossover with some compensation, and some room eq. No supertweeter seems necessary in my setup.

Notice prototype crossover components to the left. Still measuring, simulating, tweaking and testing. Exciting!!

cheers!
    Espen

(PS: Sorry for bad quality photo. Used my mobile phone camera).

--gosh, the nearly touch the ceiling!
    so its a clean 2-way system. sounds great (i bet it does).

--please keep us informed.
    didnt know there where so many 236o-friendly people on the board.

--cheers,
    mikey

edit: wait wait you bought the horns on german ebay, right? already with drivers. if yes, please tell me about the driver. tell me about the drivers anyway, they look so none-jbl.
    thanks!

edit: wait wait you bought the horns on german ebay, right? already with drivers. if yes, please tell me about the driver. tell me about the drivers anyway, they look so none-jbl.
    thanks![/quote]

No I bought the ones on German ebay with driver Reinkuss Heinz for euro 500 for my friend and the other set on German ebay (two weeks before) without drivers for euro 300 for myself. He already had one 2360 and three 2450SL driver, so he is going to use them for Home Theater. I am going to use them with 2450J in a 2-way myself when/if they arrive. If not it might end up with my 2482a and 075 bullit in a 3-way.
    Vern

NB: your HT setup looks aweome JERV

great deals on both, i think. what are these "reinkuss heinz" drivers (weird name!) like? did you try them?

cheers,
    mikey

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post

No I bought the ones on German ebay with driver Reinkuss Heinz for euro 500 for my friend and the other set on German ebay (two weeks before) without drivers for euro 300 for myself. He already had one 2360 and three 2450SL driver, so he is going to use them for Home Theater. I am going to use them with 2450J in a 2-way myself when/if they arrive. If not it might end up with my 2482a and 075 bullit in a 3-way.
    Vern
    So you are the one who bought them! I was in contact with the seller also, but he seemed reluctant to sell them to Norway. So I instead bought a pair on US ebay (and shudder to think what I had to pay for shipping - but I had to have those horns, and in the end it wasn't much more expensive than the German deal anyway).

I use Radian 950-PB drivers. They are 4-inch aluminium diaph drivers with neo manget. In comparison with the 2441 they go much higher in frequency, so less compensation is needed. I am still in the process of designing crossover networks. First passive (to get the feel of the drivers/horn compination), then analog active.

Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    So you are the one who bought them! I was in contact with the seller also, but he seemed reluctant to sell them to Norway. So I instead bought a pair on US ebay (and shudder to think what I had to pay for shipping - but I had to have those horns, and in the end it wasn't much more expensive than the German deal anyway).
    Both German sellers did not want to send the horns, local pickup only. I had to drive to Wolfsburg and back (18 hours driving) to get them, and they nearly did not fit in the car. They are in awful shape with lots of big scratches. One is blank and one mat. I think I will eventually sand them down and paint them white (doesn't look so big either).
    I am glad you got a pair anyway . Those drivers you have should be fabulous. I can't wait to try my 2360 but it might be another month before the room is ready.
    My friend took the Reinkuss Heinz drivers and used for a PA rig. They looked shit and very old.
    Vern

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    Both German sellers did not want to send the horns, local pickup only. I had to drive to Wolfsburg and back (18 hours driving) to get them, and they nearly did not fit in the car. They are in awful shape with lots of big scratches. One is blank and one mat. I think I will eventually sand them down and paint them white (doesn't look so big either).
    I am glad you got a pair anyway . Those drivers you have should be fabulous. I can't wait to try my 2360 but it might be another month before the room is ready.
    My friend took the Reinkuss Heinz drivers and used for a PA rig. They looked shit and very old.
    Vern
    Wow. I also considered driving to Germany, but thought better of it. My horns turned out to look excellent - just some cleaning and a small job with a black spray can restored the finish to good level. Maybe my $600 used on shipping wasn't so bad after all.

Please keep us posted with your progress. Very interested in hearing about the 2450 drivers.

Espen

looks like youve been through a lot just to get those horns.
    i considerd my snowjourney an adventure, and i got the horns just for the hell of it (as i told you). i didnt expect a change like that.
    anyway, this are old news, already told.

whats new?
    my open baffle subwoofers are homing in. the drivers came today, one went back already because it was badly damaged.

what theyre made of is a mystery, where they come from no one knows

and if you find out you get some jellybeans from ye olde miqueye. see them in a still life:

cheers,
    mikey

Thread Information