Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

Maron Horonzakz
    If you have anything interesting to show,,show it,, But showing a crappy filthy room is not cool.

What a cool room/studio/den and the speakers aren't bad either
    Probably lots of envious members here-a real bachelors pad-what red blooded woman wouldn't go weak at the knees at the sight of those JBL's.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    If you have anything interesting to show,,show it,,
    But showing a crappy filthy room is not cool.
    Insulting him (or his room) is against the rules here - be polite or go away!

He's at least showing off his collection as he upgrades it ...
    and is a friendly sort to boot.

Plus I agree, the shark is quite cool!

You? Not so much ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The speakers are gorgeous, the stuffed shark is cute, and the room - while full - actually looks quite clean.

Thanks for sharing the pics, Demon.

/*Makes Maron go stand in the naughty corner*\
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    /*Makes Maron go stand in the naughty corner*\
    It would have to be a spotlessly clean and very tidy naughty corner

So, Demon, have you tried the 2360 above the dual 2234 yet?

thanks guys for the feedback!
    i appreciate it, really. i wouldnt post pictures if they would annoy many people. but since its just maron,,,
    (and that would be the end of the discussion please)

So, Demon, have you tried the 2360 above the dual 2234 yet?
    no, i want to listen to the monitors in natura for a few weeks, without changing them. to get used to their sound, and learn from it.
    but thats not keeping me from thinking about experimenting with additions: first would be to integrate my subwoofers again, then theres supertweeters to add and the last thing would be to use the 236o again, XO around 5oo-6ooHz. the 2344 wouldnt be used then, better to mount a tweeter IN the 236o, coaxial (should have done that long ago).

besides that, im making plans about changing (my room). removing two beams and some inlays from the rack on the rear wall, so i can push the speakers way back to the wall, and have more space left in (my room). could work out pretty well.

+++
    this is not a review, just a view things ive noticed from getting into listening to the 4435. a few impressions so to say:
    first, i was a little scared that the double 15" bassreflex would be to powerful for (my room), and would generate to much pressure. but it looks like the speakers just hit the nail on the head the way they are placed right now. i have noticed no strong modes in the deeper regions, the bass is much cleaner than i expected.
    not even the floor, though its a very old house and the floor swings, is resonating noticable. thats something i had problems with every conventional speaker to date, that the floor would start to shake -but right now theres nothing like that. maybe its the sheer weight of the speakers.
    so the bass is slim and clean, a real pleasure to listen to. what amazes me is that quick noises, like a kickdrum or a slapped bass, are considerably punchier than with my old 22o6. i thought that would be hard to top!
    also very nice performance on vocals and guitar. i tried to notice the crossover to the horns, but theres no chance for me to hear anything. the weeks before i layed my ears on them i wondered alot about that, because i find the 15" is playing up so far. but the system performes seamless (of course it does, its genius).
    the upper regions dont give me nothing to worry about either, i have great imaging in all dimensions. especially the depht of the stage is amazing -never heard a deep stage like that anywhere yet.
    another thing i worried about up front (i should stop doing that) is the highs that roll of so early. but they shine too. 16kHz? appearantly enough!
    +++
    compared to me ol machine, wich i got used to so much in the last year, there are some issues that i will check out with experiments. for example, theres something about the big 236o that i just cant describe in words. a kind of easyness and generosity thats more magic than logic. when i replaced it with the 2344 two weeks ago, the soundstage literally shrinked from a huge cathedral of sonic enlightment to a meager palast of sound. sitting here now, listening to the 2344, they are exceptional and i wouldnt miss anything if i didnt have this special 236o experience.
    lower voice range and bass -the double 15" make the single 12" forgotten. period.
    subbass compared to my other dipol subwoofers is not as deep (the dipol was DSP controlled, with lots of EQ), but not that much noticable with normal musical material. electronic music, dub and some moviesoundtracks use subbass so much though that i dont want to miss it.
    the caracter of the bass is not so different, amazingly, but if i had to name it, the overallfeeling of the dipol was "lighter".

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Maron Horonzakz
    First of all,,,I,m not a neat freak,,, But putting that aside.. Having all four woofers installed in those cabinets will not generate pressure in your room. If you think so open a window,, But standing waves and random lobes can be affected,,, Mixinig various drivers without good test equipment to record results is a design in futillity,,,But much can be learned if you have a good memory to record down your results,,, Your approach is venturesome but futile.,,,First of all you know nothing about imaging and sound stage,, If you had photos of the recording venue,,then you could make a compareison,, Ive been recording for over 25 years,,You,d be suprised at what is going on in the studios,,Much is not even stereo.. Changing the room design would help.

If you had photos of the recording venue,,then you could make a compareison,, Ive been recording for over 25 years,,You,d be suprised at what is going on in the studios,,Much is not even stereo.. Changing the room design would help.
    Have you ever watched a movie for technical reasons only to get cought up in the story and forget why you started it in the first place? And then realized that you really enjoyed yourself regardless?

Have you ever got in the car to go nowhere, on purpose, and enjoyed everything you saw heard and smelled caring little about what was required for the journey from the electrical contact made when you turned the key to the sweaty guy's that pumped the crude in Soudi Arabia? Does it matter so much how aware you are of how everything works connecting the steering wheel to the tires? That'a all stuff you can learn when and if you want to. All that really matters some times is the adventure.

For some, the days of bliss discovery may be over and now much more scientific, and that is equally OK, and certainly encouraged.

This forum is much like a one room shool house, the students of all "grades" come and go, as do many of the teachers, the same disscusions are held time and time again in the same space and that bores many people. We even have the Preachers to tell us what we can and can't do with our tweeters in the privacy of our own homes. Oh well. The times of discovery are for me a pleasure to experience and watch.

Plow on and enjoy Mikey and all!

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    This forum is much like a one room shool house, the students of all "grades" come and go, as do many of the teachers, the same disscusions are held time and time again in the same space and that bores many people. We even have the Preachers to tell us what we can and can't do with our tweeters in the privacy of our own homes. Oh well. The times of discovery are for me a pleasure to experience and watch.

I like that... great post!

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    If it was not for the teachers and preachers,,We,d all be monkeys typing out Shakespear.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    hello!

after listening to that for a while i wanted to try out a new position for my subs and ended up like this:

cheers,
    mikey
    I‘ve seen the smaller HF horn more recently or the mid one not the tiniest one behind the screen in the smaller digital Empire screens at Leicester Square.

I see you’ve been watching The Untouchables (chapter 16, 69 minutes into the film) and notice two DCX2496 in the background. Match up the fronts LCR the same there is some neat panning effects in The Untouchables. The LFE.1 track is used sparingly most of the bass is covered by the LCR fronts.

Listen out for the dog barking on screen right at 69 min 26 sec sounds cool against the centre channel mix. What would have me do? I have taken this as far as it can go also the bird chirping on screen left.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Have you ever watched a movie for technical reasons only to get cought up in the story and forget why you started it in the first place? And then realized that you really enjoyed yourself regardless?

Have you ever got in the car to go nowhere, on purpose, and enjoyed everything you saw heard and smelled caring little about what was required for the journey from the electrical contact made when you turned the key to the sweaty guy's that pumped the crude in Soudi Arabia? Does it matter so much how aware you are of how everything works connecting the steering wheel to the tires? That'a all stuff you can learn when and if you want to. All that really matters some times is the adventure.

For some, the days of bliss discovery may be over and now much more scientific, and that is equally OK, and certainly encouraged.

thanks for that great statement. it would be an honor for any thread to contain it

yeah, ive put on the untouchables on that day just to give the pictures a little more class. i think its a totally nice movie, somehow feels like a fairytale to me. and the soundtrack is just GREAT.

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Demon,

I love the thread. Thank you for sharing. You obviously love audio and experimenting.. something most of us share.. keep it up and keep it coming.

Maron,

My personal belief is that if someone doesn't like a thread or the pictures therein, they should pretend they don't exist and look elsewhere and let the rest of us enjoy what they obviously can't.

Have a nice day.

Dan

Thread Information