Thread: frankensteins monitors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

frankensteins monitors

hey there lansingfreaks!

i recently found out that i am willing to waste a lot of money with old studio monitors (click), a lot more than i expected, so i decided to take the money and walk the hard way.
    i got these (mint and boxed) drivers:
    -238oA + 245o
    -22o6

a behringer DCX and 2 wooferboxes.
    looks a lot like this:

(since im totally devoted to jbl, i decided to live on the floor like they do in jbl~japan)

the test-setup:
    12'' plays up to 859 Hz and lives yet in closedbox, but this will change soon (i got them boxes by accident but they are nearly perfect) since im going to bassreflex the thing. a little eq gain at bottom-bottom helps me over empty feelings.

the horn goes all the way up from 859Hz to 2ooooHz, and i have tried to eq it a bit but without measurming, wich will be done next week (since i got no equipment myself).

the tweeters are still waiting to be used since im not finished building a fail-safe in case of a bad amp or so. i want them protected.

ok, what else...
    the horndriver is beeing moved to the front so it is in line with the 12'', the horn is now standing out, but:
    since i love the looks of altec VOTT and naked horns, i will keep the horn visible on top and if this works with the phase correction and the refraction of the higher signals from the 12'' on the back of the horn isnt to bad i will keep it standing out.
    saying that, im still in pre-alpha-testing phase.

and talking about design, originally i wanted to paint the full body monitor-blue. but since it is a little different from the one i planned (this one i got per accident) ii would be better maybe to get some decent veneer.
    i will see.

ok.
    hope youre informed now!

cheers,
    mikey

ps: oh wait!
    i forgot about how they sound:
    not to good, but not to bad either. im actually surprised that i can already enjoy the sound without having measured them.
    imaging is great and the resolution is good, too.

ok i activated the tweeters, rather good idea!!

its like a big party in my head, and everbody rofls.

oh my.
    no its ok, yctually better than ok, see, im smiling quite a bit writing this, listening to* my new system.

XO information:
    12'' = 28-787
    horn = 787-7,32k
    tweeter = 7,32k

"rogues gallery"
    ~pirate ballads, sea songs + chanteys~
    ==> excellent!!

cheers,
    mikey

looks good!
    how do they compare to the 4410 ?

the 441oA are very very good speakers imho. they still rule...
    finding the right setup is kinda hard, and im missing the bassreflex very much.
    also i want the room acoustics measured and then sweap a lot and measure that and then i will try to get them speakers as linear as possible.

but to answer your query:
    the new ones are finer resolutive and do image a little better (already!). i blame the horn.
    the kickbass is harder kicking (of course) and high bass is more potent.

the 441oA are way more in accord with themselfs, but i can do it.

=this new monitors have to rock, and i will work hard on them.
    oh yeah, i forgot to tell you the name of my system (frankensteins monitors it is not), it is called:

" M A C H I N E "

cheers,
    mikey

So welcome to the M A C H I N E !

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    the 441oA are way more in accord with themselfs, but i can do it.
    In my DIY I find it to be the hardest part. Sometime the speaker will sound good, and another day, on the very same song, it seems to sound like crap, depending on the mood. The "real" ingeneered speakers (in my case it was a 4412) always sound the same, and on all songs.

How are you going to integrate the offset of the horn in a cabinet?

How are you going to integrate the offset of the horn in a cabinet?
    if there arent to many problems with reflections behind the horn it will be kept outstandingly outstanding.
    (because i love how this looks)
    if i decide to make one big baffle i can use the DELAYs in my (DCX) digital crossover -this little wizard!
    this moment i just EQed the horn and woofer according to the diagrams on the spec-sheet and it took me only a few minutes. amazing!!!

but anyway my ears hurt.
    i will go take a walk in the park now.
    cheers!
    (im happy someone shows interest )

mikey

Hello, you wrote --> "im always eager to learn more about other peoples 236os "
    Feel free to visit my Homepage Zenosound. It cost me a lot of time get them sound, but then there is nothing better! But it is not with JBL or ALTEC Driver. In case this post is not wanted in this forum, please delete.
    Greets

hello ZENO!

funny, i wrote you an email two years ago if you had any 236o to sell
    i see you use the mighty BMS coax driver. ive heard it on various tactrix-horns alot, and i really like it. sometimes i feel like i should test it at home, just for the hell of it. but the 245o is fantastic so...

your systems look very promising.
    thanks for posing, and welcome to the board!

--

hey heather! the cthulhu looks nice. thanks for sharing
    i like toys...

cheers from vienna,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Oh, and what was my answer? I can really not remember! Oh, yes, with the 2450 you will get outstanding performance too. Provided with DCX and the possibility to measure. When I started the project, there was no DCX, only one of the first digital speaker managament systems with a few parametric EQ`s. So I tried it passive, no way! Without the comfortable DCX I would have been sold all the stuff! Before the BMS I had the TAD 4002. Exellent, of course one of the best drivers I have ever heared. The only but outstanding advantage of the BMS are the real, punchy low mids. It feels like the whole music is coming out of the 2360. The BMS is the only driver i have ever seen with specification of x-max in the data sheet for the mid unit.
    Good night from Munich!

Arrow

i dont think i ever got an answer
    luckily i found mine just a few days after the mail

since i didnt get any answer, seinerzeit, i would think its only fair if youd post at least some pictures of your systems now? maybe even wanna make a whole thread, i think what you do is pretty interesting and -unique!
    thanks!

cheers,
    mikey

Just some more expirience with the 2360, I have seen on the specifications, that the 2360 is working even from 350 Hz with a certain JBL Driver. Than I looked in the specifications of the BMS Coax driver, and aha, this one works from 300 Hz! So I tried to go down, with the dcx easy to do, and, exactly what the specifications says, the horn load the driver down to apprx. 340 Hz! Filter was bessel 12db. I was realy surprised who deep the setup can play, even 500 Hz which I used befor, was quiet deep. So, I had to do the sound for a little birthday party, I fixed the crossover by 400Hz, bessel 12dB. The advantage was, that I just put one mono woofer on the floor. Of course, I had not the best feeling bevor this event, because I doubt that this will work out. But it does very well. Woofer was a 15" Beyma. One funny thing, a man came to me, and ask whow it is possible, that he stand in the back of the room and its more or less the same sound level than direct in the front of the horns. This is one reason, why I think, that very big hf horns sound so good. They transmitt the sound much better to the air because they have this big surface. You could say, they "flood" the room with sound.

Hey Zeno
    thanks for the update. to me it sounds a bit crazy, but why not. I might give it a shot myself, when I've sold the 4435 and have my biggies back. at least, until I sell them too

cheers,
    Mikey

Thread Information