Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    Do you have experience/knowledge about how the dbx driverack 260 compares with the Rane rpm26z?
    I have both and prefer the DR260, especially when it comes to connections, (the Rane uses Euroblocks).

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I have both and prefer the DR260, especially when it comes to connections, (the Rane uses Euroblocks).

John
    Thanks.

Yes, those Euroblocks....But apart from that: how about actual use of the unit: (flexibility and range in eq and xover settings etc) and sound (noise, dynamic headroom, etc) ? ....

hey!

just wanted to say "hi" again. im still here, yes, and quietly reading. unfortunatly i aint got much time to join in any discussion...

about the MACHINE:
    the open baffle subwoofers are working nice enough for now, but im already thinking about modifying them. im currently talking to axel ridtahler (a german audio engineer) about changing my subs to "RiPol" -which is a special form of an open baffle designed by him, it features the -for me- very important impuls-correction using two chassis eliminating each others vibrations. i hope this works out (depends on my chassis)!
    (eventually i will end up with 4x18")

then the mains will be finished using ready made boxes. i will enjoy lansing heritage using either a L100, 4310/11/12 or similar wood enclosure to house my 12" woofers -this will sure be no problem since the woofers dont go below 1oo Hz anymore since i got the subs. easy job for them.
    i think it will look cool with the bookshelf-boxes lying on their sides, big horn behind/above. to get them off the floor a little im thinking about 19" racks/stands wich will also take in my amps and digital XO.

the rest will be investing in room acoustics and a new audio computer and (home)studio stuff. yes..!

cheers,
    mikey

Thumbs up

update: the satellites are liftet a few inches, good idea:

--looks fragile, yes, but its just a test.
    next step will be to try out
    Quote Originally Posted by demon
    ...ready made boxes. i will enjoy lansing heritage using ... a 4310 wood enclosure to house my 12" woofers -this will sure be no problem since the woofers dont go below 1oo Hz anymore since i got the subs. easy job for them.
    i scored a second pair of 431o and will share them with a friend, i will keep the cab. today i tried if the 2206 would fit into the cab (with the original pair):

and it does! the tweeter might fit the place where the mid-driver is located.
    all i need is a nice plug to close the port, and as soon as the new cabs are here ill give it a shot.
    (i will not alter/destroy anything on the cab while testing, dont be scared)

subwoofers will come this saturday: yeehaw!!

cheers,
    mikey

hello!

after all that action yesterday we seem a little hungry...

nooooo, dont eat grampa!!

cheers,
    mikey

grampa vanished, but 'machine' didnt eat him. 'machine' grew bigger nonetheless:

the boxlike item underneath the palm is housing two 18" drivers:
    its called a RiPol, and its tiny! (sound is great, though)
    = open baffle subwoofer system designed by a german engineer. there is a patent on this so i dont want to give any information about the specs -please contact the originator instead. his name is axel ridtahler, and i can give you his contact adress via PM.

for now i will listen to my now fully extended system and check out the features of the sub.
    next week i will finish the second one (stereo), and then its all done!!

cheers,
    mikey

JBL 4645
    Nice diy sub you got there.

You can finish it off with some spray paint primer and few coats of Saturn black spay paint.

Or do you have something else in mind?

hey!

well its not DIY, its DI-someone else. since i got no workshop myself i didnt even start building on my own but contacted the carpenter who is best to my knowledge.
    the work is flawless.
    i will think about what to do with the cabinets after some time living with them, maybe i gonna paint them *blue* or *grey*, or simply oil them (~i like authenic industrial surfaces, so why bother paint em).
    anyway i will see.
    for know i will listen.

cheers--
    mikey

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    hey!

well its not DIY, its DI-someone else. since i got no workshop myself i didnt even start building on my own but contacted the carpenter who is best to my knowledge.
    the work is flawless.
    i will think about what to do with the cabinets after some time living with them, maybe i gonna paint them *blue* or *grey*, or simply oil them (~i like authenic industrial surfaces, so why bother paint em).
    anyway i will see.
    for know i will listen.

cheers--
    mikey
    I see D.I.S.E.

Use spray paint it will give an even uniform texture over brush stokes.

Oh what frequency response does it cover or haven’t you had the time to put an RTA on it?

I did a quick doodle on paper I think I know how it’s built. It seems easy if you had the tools.

Small it is looking at the A4 size paper of JBL HF driver standing on the enclosure shows the rough scale of the sub.

Can you please take a few close up pictures, like to get view though the (vent port hole) stick the camera inside and let the flash light it up!

I gather the 18” are JBL? You made no reference to model number just 18” and I’m only guessing there JBL?

hey ashley!

the design is not a secret, but patented and i only use it under kind (and very friendly, really) permission of the creator. you can see this german website, with informing pictures: http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/ridtahler.htm
    i was asked not to discuss any TSP of the chassis, and specs of the cabinet.
    its ruffly big enough to house the 18" typeunknown, and is basically two folded baffles, working push-push.
    for any more information you can contact axel himself, he is a pleasure to deal with.
    ---------
    i will think about spraying it, after thinking about nice colors. a big jbl-blue cube would sure look nice!
    then again, the fronts have to be dealt with, too.
    oh my.

EDIT: i did a quick setup today and im at -6dB at about 2o hertz. thats much better then it was with the simple openbaffle-subwoofers i used til today.
    next week i will run both subs (means 4x18") and will finally install it. measurements follow.

but back to music now!

cheers,
    mikey

so i have this other thread going, but thats merely for planning. i like to keep this one here alive too, for general informaton and chat.
    so, see some pictures! first, my room with the subs on their "final" place:

hey, i really love those banana-trees (i got one mother and three kids):

my new tweeters (from john) will be installed tomorrow, hopefully:

and compared to "natures own waveguide"

...they look terribly nice!

cheers,
    mikey

Looks like Baby Butt-cheeks!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Looks like Baby Butt-cheeks!
    yes, they are nice, arent they?
    i installed them a minute ago -but just swapped them with the 24o5 and nothing else, measurements and XO work will be done weekends.
    --looking forward!

cheers,
    mikey

up and running:

see the average sized shark (a.s.s.) to compare the size of the new butt-units.
    sound: nice! i dont think i can hear a differnce/2405 though...not when on listening position. maybe the soundexperience in the rest of the room is better now, but i dont really know. theres no place left to sit and listen anyway!

XO=9.06kHz ...as before. i dont think i will change that in the near future.
    DLY=2.01mS ...thats 0.21mS less than it was before with the slot -as i measured using (deliberatly) only the frequency-response-o-meter: thats the spot where the horn and the tweeter add up the to the most flat line (filters used: LR48).
    thats not quite logical (0.21mS=70mm) but i cant remember how i measured it the last time...anyway, it sounds alright.

cheers,
    mikey

hey!

i have to quit the forum for a time now, having made some decisions in "real" life wich do affect my time here.
    i just wanted to let you know that this has nothing to do with the board itself, not the users here, but is necessary from a ...social standpoint.

anyway, ill be back

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Thread Information