Thread: More saeman 4350 cabinet masterpieces

More saeman 4350 cabinet masterpieces

It has been a long road and a labor of love putting these 4350's back into original shape.When I first took the cabinets to rick they were as he later said was the worst he had ever seen,which I have to agree without a doubt and the pics in photobucket will show. The extent Rick puts into the cabinets he does second to none to say the least. No corners cut and nothing questionable as you have seen from the pics Rick has posted on the forum. It is unbelievable to me the transformation these cabinets went thru,and the condition they are in now. Leaving no stone unturned or no corners cut in January I drove the 2202's and the 2231's to Great Plains Audio in Okla City from Kansas City and had Bill re-gauss them. I didn't want to second guess anything because of the condition of the cabinets were originally in ,not knowing what abuse the 4350's had been through up to this point. When I made the comment to Bill that I drove from Kansas City to have this done I don't think he totally believed it. My view on that is I'd rather drive them myself instead of leaving it to UPS,Fed-EX ect to get them there undamaged. At the present time Iam in the process of having the 2231's reconed using C8R2235 OEM kits and already have the 2202's done,also with OEM JBL kits. I found and have already bought a pair of new 3107 crossovers which at a later date will probably go charged coupled. The 2440's I will install new D16R2440 OEM diaphrams (both in hand) along with new D16R2405 diaphrams (one in hand) for the 2405's. In photobucket (link below) in the "2440 diaphram folder" the pics of the 2440's look like they might have 2441 diaphrams in them,and one has a discolored place in the middle of it. I don't know if the discoloration is normal or from abuse. The 2405's look as though they might have aftermarket diaphrams? I have way too many pics to post on the forum so I put them on photobucket and here is the link if you want to take the time to look: http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x283/JBL4350/ .

wow

Hi Neanderthal,

I found the time to take a look through your photobucket pics......thanks for sharing with us.......WOW... what a change. They look like new (or better !!).
    It seems to be one of Ricks best works.

Fortunately I have the chance to see Rick's shop next weekend and try to find out the secrets of his work.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

I know the pics of the finished cabinets aren't the best.I spent every bit of 3hrs messing with the lighting I had at my disposal taking and deleting pics trying to get the best pics without moving the cabinets and chancing dings and dents. The pics still do not do perfectionist Ricks work any justice.

Incredible work!
    You wouldn't guess those cabinets are the same, never.

Hi Pete:

Glad you got them home OK with no problems. I've been real busy and unable to talk much since you were here to pick them up. I look forward to seeing them components mounted and complete.

Hope you like the veneer. You asked for something a little wild and it was hard to know what may or may not meet your fancy. I did not take any pics of your speakers, either the beginning or the end result. I kept saying I would but never drug the camera to the shop. One piece at a time they were done and no pics. I usually keep a restoration pictorial record but I've accumulated so many pics that I can't get the time to sort and file them. After a while I guess they all start to look the same.

These cabs were in fact the biggest challenge for me to date. A year ago of so I restored a pair of 4345's for a forum member in Calgary, and I told him that his were absolutely the worst I'd seen. Your pair beat his hands down. Things like bomb craters to fill, no corners or sharp edges left anywhere, baffle broken loose from top/bottom/sides, mid base box broken loose from baffle, no bases, no grilles, holes everywhere thru the sides from custom mounting. Like I said before - it would have been an esier task to build a new pair from scratch. No complaints here though as it was a challenging and fun task to get them back on par.

Hope they stay with you for a long time and that you enjoy listening to them as much as I do. Keep us posted on your progress.

Later - Rick

Very nice, indeed. Congrats to restorer and owner.
    Out.

Just drop-dead gorgeous veneer, congrats. Rick you've raised the bar again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    Rick you've raised the bar again.
    I agree, great work.

neanderthal, hope you will find it in your heart to let a fellow Kansas Citian come and look ( I promoise not to drool ON the the speakers)

I'm sure you will be rewarded with great sound from all your efforts...

rick

Gary L
    Very nice indeed! Here are a couple from your album for others to drool over.

Gary

Pete
    They look marvelous. I still have the original JBL 4350 active xover - 250hz. You are welcome to have it - if you pay for shipping.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959 View Post
    I agree, great work.

neanderthal, hope you will find it in your heart to let a fellow Kansas Citian come and look ( I promoise not to drool ON the the speakers)

I'm sure you will be rewarded with great sound from all your efforts...

rick
    I sent you a PM a month or so ago and never heard back from you

As always drop dead gorgeous! If you haven't done it before then you have no ideal the hours it can take getting the veneer to match as Rick has. Fantastic job!

Thread Information