Thread: Yamaha Amps - looking for input

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yamaha Amps - looking for input

I have been pondering purchasing one of these older amps like the M-65 and was wondering if anyone here could comment on them and if they are significantly inferior to the pro P series amps.

This amp would replace my NAD C370 which I would turn into a pre amp.

Cheers

Mark

I have the P series in my shop rig and love them.

I have a M-2 in my workshop office rig pushing my L110's and love it!

I have another M-2 that came to me as a freebie with shorted output transistors sitting in a box. Maybe time to get it out and either fix it or break it even further!

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Do you know the differenace between the M, MX and how the evolution of these amps took place?

I gather the MX is the last evolution of the consumer line but I know nothing about the pro line.

Cheers

Mark

No I don't have much experience with the home hifi line of Yamaha. I mainly have experience with the older pro amps, eq, xovers, spx90, and mixing consoles.

Now, I see where I need to learn more about their hifi line.

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

One thing about the Yamaha amps is that you have a lot of different designs. So you might find that you have a preference for a particular design. You have some models such as the B-2 which are famous for its V-Fet sound and others such as the M-70 which is known for its X-Power design. Models such as the M-2 are one of the few that used toroidal transformers. Models such as the M-80, M-85, MX-1000 are more conventional but powerhouses none the less. Seems like generally the pro amps tend to mimic one or more of the home designs (or vise versa). I’ve seen several pro designs such as the P-2200/P-2201 and the PC2002(M) that look unmistakably similar to the design of my M-2 inside and I’m sure the other pro designs could probably be matched up with the various consumer designs. Excellent amps all around.

Thanks for the insight, Chris - I wasn't aware they were using so many different approaches.

I have line on a MX-600 - any strong thoughts on this particular unit one way or the other?

Cheers

Mark

Yamaha M-2

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    one thing about the yamaha amps is that you have a lot of different designs. So you might find that you have a preference for a particular design. You have some models such as the b-2 which are famous for its v-fet sound and others such as the m-70 which is known for its x-power design. Models such as the m-2 are one of the few that used toroidal transformers. Models such as the m-80, m-85, mx-1000 are more conventional but powerhouses none the less. Seems like generally the pro amps tend to mimic one or more of the home designs (or vise versa). I’ve seen several pro designs such as the p-2200/p-2201 and the pc2002(m) that look unmistakably similar to the design of my m-2 inside and i’m sure the other pro designs could probably be matched up with the various consumer designs. Excellent amps all around.
    the yamaha m-2 its the same as the p2002m just the consumer version
    i own both

Thread Information