Thread: Vintage Crown repair?

Vintage Crown repair?

My Crown SA2 amp after performing beautifully for many years has a problem. Last time I tried to switch it on the LEDs cycled normally and then the channel one set got stuck illuminating a single led in the middle of the scale and the speakers now produce what I can best describe as a regular thump almost sounding like a slow heart beat. I really like this amp, where can I send it for repair by qualified careful technicians? thanks

See if these guys still offer such service:

http://www.aetechron.com/AE_Techron_Service.shtml

Check out this page and see if anything looks familiar:
    http://www.aetechron.com/legacy.shtml

Name:  7550.gif
Views: 1819
Size:  16.7 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Another guy I use is Terry Dewick. He just changed the caps and rebuilt the Power supply on my Marantz 1250. I thought it sounded good before. It now sounds fantasic. If you like, google his name. He will let you know via his Email what he can do. Good luck.

Crown was, maybe still are good at still repairing their legacy equipment where as some companies when something is dropped from the current model line so is service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Crown was, maybe still are good at still repairing their legacy equipment were as some companies when something is dropped from the current model line so is service.
    Until recently, Crown's website linked to AETechron for repair of their legacy amps. Their is an obvious connection between Crown and AETechron, including the location and their products. Apparently AETechron is still in business but I can no longer find the link from the Crown site and there is no recommendation for legacy repairs. Must be another casualty of Harman's ownership.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The Crown site used to have a list showing the units they still seviced in house. Have you looked to see if they still service yours? They have a pretty reasonable max cost cap if it's killed and if it's less, all the better. They repaired several D series for me early this year and a pair of CE's last year.

The folks at AE Techron are nice and helpful as well. If Lisa is still the person you talk to for service at AE Techron she is great.

The crown AE techron connection is / was when Crown Audio decided that it wanted to be just an audio company again it sold off the broadcast stuff, I forgot to who, but I think that company still bears the Crown name and maybe some of the original principals of Crown, the industrial and test end became AE Techron and Gold Line bought TEF.

Best of luck!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

AE Techron is the place to call at (574) 295-9495. The PSA/SA amps have some components that are no longer available, so they can't guarantee that a fix is possible. However, I've taken in maybe 2 PSAs and 3 SAs and they were able to complete the repairs on all of them. Their facility is about a 5 minute drive from my house...so I don't have to consider shipping. I imagine that would add up pretty quickly from New Orleans.

I found AE Techron from searching on the internet. I called them and got to speak with the tech who would probably working on my SA2. He wasn't stingy with his time and had no problem going over my concerns. At the end of our conversation I couldn't help but ask "how much could I be looking at cost wise", he told me the last SA2 he fixed with similar issues had a bill of $600. As much as a like Crown equipment I won't be able to pay that much.

I know how you feel. I bought a used PS-200 on Ebay that had just been through Crown's service department for a repair and complete performance check. I paid $200 for the PS-200 in the original box with all manuals and receipts. When I got it I noticed the receipt for the recent repair was included and was something around $300. I think I might have kept it after spending that much cash on it, but my daughter's system is happy he did sell it.

I've had the SA2 for a couple of years, it performed perfectly with excellent sound and is cosmetically pristine, a beautiful example. I would love to put it back in service but can't pay AETechron what they estimate the repairs will cost. So it's for sale, hopefully someone who can fix it will scoop it up. I'm sorry it's going but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I've had the SA2 for a couple of years, it performed perfectly with excellent sound and is cosmetically pristine, a beautiful example. I would love to put it back in service but can't pay AETechron what they estimate the repairs will cost. So it's for sale, hopefully someone who can fix it will scoop it up. I'm sorry it's going but it is what it is.
    I wonder if Subwoof might be able to offer a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I wonder if Subwoof might be able to offer a suggestion?
    How do I contact Subwoof ? NEVERMIND, got it. thanks.

tantalum tantrum

just read this thread - on the display board there are a pair of 22uf tantalum caps that WILL fail because they are rated for 15 volts and are on 15 volt rails ( someone goofed in 1978 ).... if you have an amp that suddenly goes into fault mode or has display issues that prevent the amp from turning on, simply REMOVE those caps with a pair of small cutters and see if the problem resolves itself.

They are blue/green, teardrop shaped and are located very close to the multipin connector that is on the display board.

sub

The amp will turn on but has a hum in the right channel and the right led ladder will not cycle. What is the fault mode? And since it will turn on (although wounded) does that mean the 22uf tantalum caps you mentioned are not at fault? thanks.

Thread Information